OP
UTC

Hooked
'81 Vespa P200e, '85 Vespa PX125e, 1985 T5

Hooked
UTC quote
Hey all,

Just rebuilding a V90 with a 1964 engine. Performance wise this stock engine will always be a 90cc engine....I already know this. The engine is built to stock. Now working on the whole chassis from the ground up.

I have been chatting with folks who state that converting the points system to electronic ignition (including the wiring loom to accommodate that) and a ET3 exhaust will give this stock engine a bit more punch.

My question is---how much punch? Sure the bike will run a bit more reliably...but how much more can I get out of it with these mods? will the increase in performance be significantly noticeable?

Any experience? Any objective accounts?

Let me know folks.
Thank you!
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
You won't experience any reliability gain with an electronic ignition, and any performance gain with a stock motor will be negligible.

The points systems on these scoots are simple and dependable. I'd bet solid state electronics have higher failure rates. They definitely cost more to replace when they fail.

A better exhaust, on the other hand, will give you a noticeable increase in power and would be a nice upgrade.
UTC

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
UTC quote
first bit of bolt on power i ever got was putting a leo vice pipe on a 90 and up jetting two points.Instant noticeable acceleration and about 10km more top end

then comes bigger top ends, bigger carbs, cut cranks,gear ratio changes.

leo vince was the cheapie at the time ( 20 years now).. but it gave the easy .bolt on. no mod power i was after

Id go Polini banana these days

agree with So cal .." lecky nish" wont give noticeable power..a pipe WILL
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Bluecati wrote:
first bit of bolt on power i ever got was putting a leo vice pipe on a 90 and up jetting two points.Instant noticeable acceleration and about 10km more top end

then comes bigger top ends, bigger carbs, cut cranks,gear ratio changes.

leo vince was the cheapie at the time ( 20 years now).. but it gave the easy .bolt on. no mod power i was after

Id go Polini banana these days

agree with So cal .." lecky nish" wont give noticeable power..a pipe WILL
So based on what you gentlemen are saying is that ---I can simply add on an aftermarket exhaust with a carb upjet onto the stock 6V point system and gain some noticeable power?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0407s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0137s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]