PX EFL internal driveshaft seal dimensions
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 am quote
Quick question: the correct seal has dimensions 27x42x10x7 (mm), but many seals are simply described as 27x42x10 (ID, OD, width). What does the 7mm refer to? Is that the width of the inner part of the seal vs 10mm = width of the entire seal?

Cheers.

[edit] just for context, I have installed a new seal on the inside, wanting to keep correct factory spec. for this build, and when apparently fully seated, the seal protrudes a little. Is this normal or should it be flush with the seat?
Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:45 am quote
SWA - just to clarify - are you referring to the output/drive shaft where it exits the motor?
Pic of where the seal is sitting proud?
Ossessionato

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:23 am quote
Hey Charlie, the late PX EFL cases have an extra machined area inboard of the rear axle bearing for a seal to press in. The rear axle bearing on those cases have seals (with grease inside), instead of rolling in the transmission's oil like all the other Vespa engines.
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 am quote
We're away for our first post-lockdown trip CM, so cannot provide photo. As WhoDat said, the seal is internal to the driveshaft bearing. I've installed the bearing and retaining clirclip and I've installed the oil seal as far in as it wanted to go. However, it's protruding slightly. Assuming the 10mm seal width is correct and it's all the way in, then I guess it's done. I'm just wondering if the 7mm is key here. See link below. Hope I have the correct seal and not one that's 3mm too wide

https://www.wasp-performance.co.uk/genuine-piaggio-internal-driveshaft-oil-seal-px-1987-onwards-and-t5.html
Enthusiast
Piaggio P125X
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 pm quote
This pic from SIP sheds a bit more light on it;

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/oil-seal-driveshaft-27x42x10x7-mm_91041000

The older seals were just 7 mm, but that seal for the newer models seems to have an outer lip that's 10 mm thick, while the inner lip is 7 mm.
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 pm quote
Thanks Stuggi, that makes sense. I had assumed that the 7mm referred to the width of the inner part of the seal and you've just confirmed. The seal that I have is 10mm width throughout, due to it being double lipped. So long as both lips ride correctly on the driveshaft, I guess it's an upgrade
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.0638s ][ Queries: 33 (0.0439s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]