OP
UTC

Lurker
2015 Vespa Primavera 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: TN
 
Lurker
2015 Vespa Primavera 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: TN
UTC quote
I recently purchased a 2015 Vespa Primavera 50 to see how I would enjoy having a scooter for quick trips through the neighborhood. I learned very quickly that it's just a bit too slow for me to feel safe on as it takes quite a bit of time to get up to speed and still has to really push to top 25mph (and rarely makes it to 30mph unless I'm headed downhill.

I've been researching aftermarket parts that might be reasonably priced and straightforward to install but am getting crickets. There is plenty of availability for modifications on the iGet models which are 2017+, but my 4-stroke from 2015 doesn't seem to get much love.

Anyone have any links/suggestions for modifications that I can do in order to get the engine/transmission (or both) to open up a bit more? The only solid option I've found is a variator kit by Malossi. I was hoping for a CDI swap but haven't had much luck with that either.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
Buy a used Kymco 150 and ride the Vespa when you want to look stylish 8)

Here's a good buy for about the same price you'll spend to get your 50cc to go 40MPH.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/dickson-kymco-200/7298635988.html
⚠️ Last edited by breaknwind on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Lurker
2015 Vespa Primavera 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: TN
 
Lurker
2015 Vespa Primavera 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: TN
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Buy a used Kymco 150 and ride the Vespa when you want to look stylish 8)
I would, but trying to stay at 50cc so the girlfriend can use it as well without a motorcycle license.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
If you can't DIY, This bike will cost less than labor for the Vespa.

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/mpo/d/madison-2009-scooter-super-low-miles/7300091160.html
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
marantof wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Buy a used Kymco 150 and ride the Vespa when you want to look stylish 8)
I would, but trying to stay at 50cc so the girlfriend can use it as well without a motorcycle license.
If you can't tell. I'm a proponent of multi scoot ownership
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
marantof wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Buy a used Kymco 150 and ride the Vespa when you want to look stylish 8)
I would, but trying to stay at 50cc so the girlfriend can use it as well without a motorcycle license.
If you can't tell. I'm a proponent of multi scoot ownership
Like bicycles, the right number of scooters can be determined by application of the not particularly complicated formula n = N + 1, lim=S

n = Correct number of scooters for you.
N = Number you have now.
S = number of scooters in the garage that will cause your spouse to leave you. If the next scooter is for the spousal unit then this limit can be temporarily ignored.

Note: If the scooters are the same colour you can usually multiply S by 2 as long as the scooters are kept apart.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
marantof wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Buy a used Kymco 150 and ride the Vespa when you want to look stylish 8)
I would, but trying to stay at 50cc so the girlfriend can use it as well without a motorcycle license.
If you can't tell. I'm a proponent of multi scoot ownership
Like bicycles, the right number of scooters can be determined by application of the not particularly complicated formula n = N + 1, lim=S

n = Correct number of scooters for you.
N = Number you have now.
S = number of scooters in the garage that will cause your spouse to leave you. If the next scooter is for the spousal unit then this limit can be temporarily ignored.

Note: If the scooters are the same colour you can usually multiply S by 2 as long as the scooters are kept apart.
I know what a BBK, WOT and OTD means. What's this SPOUSE thing you speak of? Razz emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
znomit wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
marantof wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Buy a used Kymco 150 and ride the Vespa when you want to look stylish 8)
I would, but trying to stay at 50cc so the girlfriend can use it as well without a motorcycle license.
If you can't tell. I'm a proponent of multi scoot ownership
Like bicycles, the right number of scooters can be determined by application of the not particularly complicated formula n = N + 1, lim=S

n = Correct number of scooters for you.
N = Number you have now.
S = number of scooters in the garage that will cause your spouse to leave you. If the next scooter is for the spousal unit then this limit can be temporarily ignored.

Note: If the scooters are the same colour you can usually multiply S by 2 as long as the scooters are kept apart.
I know what a BBK, WOT and OTD means. What's this SPOUSE thing you speak of? Razz emoticon
You are unbounded by S. Your scooter limit is thus G - H.
G = Garage space ( that's a generic term and yes it can include rooms inside your Spouse free home).
H = Space (and funds) required for other hobbies.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
UTC quote
wheres the thread of the guy with orange bike that is modded to go 61mph gps? that thread would be helpful.

your bike must have restriction parts on it, they are relatively easy to remove.
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 713
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
 
Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 713
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
UTC quote
There are go fast upgrades you can do on those 4valve 4 stroke engines. Wheelman got his Punkin going pretty fast. Here is a link to his thread S50 Quattrovalvole; Slightly Higher Performance I got my S50 with the same engine up in the 50mph range. I have a 2018 Sprint that I'm still working on and tuning. Remember it is a 50cc and even at 80cc it won't be a rocket ship. I will say the Sprint/Primavera make a much better platform for speed than the ET/LX platforms.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
I am by no means saying not to or it can't be done. Cost is the main reason for this thread.
Currently I'm looking to get another SH to modify to the max(stop licking your chops Motovista).
Mods can cost more than twice if you don't DIY.
There's no way I'm thinking I'm going to make a 150 faster than a 350 but if I can cut my 0-50 time in half, it will be a true El Diablito.
@bluefoam avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 211
Location: Dublin
 
Hooked
@bluefoam avatar
PX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 211
Location: Dublin
UTC quote
Re: 2015 Vespa Primavera 50 "Bang for Buck" Modifi
marantof wrote:
I recently purchased a 2015 Vespa Primavera 50 to see how I would enjoy having a scooter for quick trips through the neighborhood. I learned very quickly that it's just a bit too slow for me to feel safe on as it takes quite a bit of time to get up to speed and still has to really push to top 25mph (and rarely makes it to 30mph unless I'm headed downhill.

I've been researching aftermarket parts that might be reasonably priced and straightforward to install but am getting crickets. There is plenty of availability for modifications on the iGet models which are 2017+, but my 4-stroke from 2015 doesn't seem to get much love.

Anyone have any links/suggestions for modifications that I can do in order to get the engine/transmission (or both) to open up a bit more? The only solid option I've found is a variator kit by Malossi. I was hoping for a CDI swap but haven't had much luck with that either.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
1. you seem to enjoy your vespa.. thats the main thing...
2. you have run out of speed...
3. upgrading your 50 is gonna be a short term fix
4. good thing is: Vespas hold their value relatively well... upgrade to a Sprint 150 or a GT 300.

This should scratch the itch & could be more cost effective than upgrading your current bike and eventually changing it out anyway...

All depending on licensing laws etc...
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1272
Location: Bermuda
 
Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1272
Location: Bermuda
UTC quote
Nobody believes this before learning it themselves, but the lack of an M license is a poor reason for modding a 50cc. The time you spend getting the M license will be a drop in the bucket compared to the time, cost, and uncertainty associated with the modding process and resulting ownership experience.

The 50cc is what it is. Enjoy it for its 50cc essence, or get a bigger machine.

A good reason for modding: "I like fiddling with engines." Is that you? If not, then don't.

I like fiddling with engines but am not touching my 50 unless it's broken. Which it isn't. Which is a big part of the reason for not modding it in the first place.
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 713
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
 
Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 713
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
UTC quote
I'm of the belief that you should own more than one scooter. My 50's are fun to tinker with and scoot around town. The 150's are perfect to get to the other side of town and beyond. The GTS is to get to the next town. Different tasks different tools. If you only want to own 1 scooter figure out what task you want it to do. If you get a 50 always think of it as your first scooter.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
UTC quote
I've owned modded 2-stroke 50cc scooters for many years. My Yamaha Zumas would hit 55-60mph reliably. I've owned them during motorcycle ownership and during every bigger scooter I've even owned. Yes, a modded 50cc is fun. Part of the fun is learning and doing it yourself. Making them last/not fall apart is a challenge that can be mastered. They were basically weekend toys. But one day I got tired of messing with them and sold everything 50cc related. I have an electric bicycle now in place of the 50cc scooter.

A 4-stroke scooter can be made faster but their more complicated and tend to be more expensive to mod, but once done correctly seem more reliable. A friend has a pretty fast Honda Ruckus from the GET motor.
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 778
Location: Deepinnaharta, Texas
 
Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 778
Location: Deepinnaharta, Texas
UTC quote
Greetings:

Yes Punkin got to 99KPH with Malossi 78cc and gears and cam. If you are willing to sacrifice top speed, omit the gears for streetlight holeshots. 2Stroke Hondas are hard to beat off the line due to light (140 pounds) weight.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
UTC quote
Nice Wheelman!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0140s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0078s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]