@double_m avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Primavera 150

Hooked
@double_m avatar
Vespa Primavera 150
UTC quote
So I turned 900 miles yesterday on an extended dirty ride on the new Vespa Primavera 150. I am dirty because of DMV/Covid and who knows what else problems at the DMV. My papers are being mailed back to me.

Going from a smaller bike to a bigger bike is a common story. The other way around however, is another story. Besides giving up the whole Maxi-Scooter world by selling my Kymco X250, I also gave up the classic Scooter riding experience by selling my 2-Stroke, 4-Speed Stella 150. the majority of my riding has been on the Kymco for the past few years and it has been a mostly pleasurable low maintenance ride. Big, heavy and comfortable it was more of a Luxury Car in comparison to this Vespa of mine.

I really was holding out to buy a used Vespa 300. I lead a lot of rides with my club, The Hornets. I do this every Sunday with mostly Maxi-Scooters in my rear view mirrors. The average rider in my club has a Burgman 400 and there are many 650's, BMWs and Vespa 300s. I really looked hard at my situation, financially and physically. This practically new 2019 150 is just the thing I needed. I no longer have a Garage or a House and where I keep it is hard to move a big heavy scooter in and out of. This thing is easy to move, I think I can dance with it.

First I will talk about the non technical, mechanical aspects. It is a much visceral, aware feeling riding this machine. It is extremely fast and you need to be even more aware and on your toes. Literally. I am walking it through more than powering it through certain situations like parking lots and waiting for lights. I am glad I just bought steel toe sneakers. I also feel a bit more exposed on the smaller bike, which again increases your awareness. I am surprising myself on just how comfortable I got about some things like potholes and simply moving up a few feet at a light. The Kymcos 4 shock, motorcycle style suspension just swallowed up many bumpy situations. Sometimes it had no choice. The Vespa does really good, but also gives me the ability to avoid things in a much more granular, detailed way. Its nimble handling is something I forgot about and enjoy. My Stella enjoyed this ability too, but it has not been running regularly for a few years and that is why I sold it.

On the numbers...
At full throttle my 400+ pound Kymco would do 63 MPH. Verified by Garmin GPS
At full throttle my 230 pound Vespa ET4 150 would do 63 MPH. Verified by the same GPS.
The Stella was good for 60 MPH, also verified by that GPS
Yesterday I hit 65MPH for the first time with the 2019 Primavera 150. As indicated by the speedometer. I have not hooked my GPS up yet. I may not even bother, it is really fast. I could get in trouble with this thing. Within 2 blocks I am wizzing past 55 from a standing start.

So, it looks like this is the sweet spot for me, 60-65 MPH. While many scooters have a faster top speed, this one seems to be one of the fastest 2 wheeled vehicles I have ever owned, including Motorcycles. The Fuel Injection is definitely part of this equation. The power just pours on straight up to 60 and it gets there fast. When I hit 65 yesterday, I didnt even notice or try. I think the motor is getting broken in. It has sat around for the past few months while being restored after it was stolen. It now has 900 miles and is just so smooth.

I kinda just guesstimate my MPG. I have only put a little more than 1 gallon and I have gone 100 miles. It is rated at 99MPG. As amazing as that sounds, I am thinking that it is possible. All the previous mentioned scooters got about 60-65MPG with the exception of the Stella which was getting about 75MPG. I have a heavy hand on the throttle which tempers all my results.
The most noticeable thing that I do not miss at all is the weight difference. For the same performance, comparing the 400+ pound Cow that the Kymco was to this light nimble creature is a no-brainer for me. I am turning 60 and pushing bikes and cars is off my to-do list forever. I am a Heart Attack survivor and a Diabetic. I need a bike that is healthier than me. I just want to enjoy the years I have in front of me, which are less than the ones behind me.

As I previously mentioned, I owned an ET4 150. It too had a somewhat rough and tumble childhood, but was in fine mechanical condition. You could see however that it was a step above in quality than the other scooters on the market at the time. This Primavera is several steps above. Piaggio has really crossed their t's and dotted their i's on this one. Even after being stolen and knocked around a bit, the fit and finish shines through. I am no stranger to Piaggio's products having also owned a 1964 Sears Allstate by Piaggio. I know the ups and downs of it all, and have owned 8 Scooters and 3 Motorcycles. Having been president of a Scooter Club for 20+ years also has given me access to the first hand experience of many riders and their Scooters.

I think I made the right choice with the almost new 150 vs an older used 300. I have ridden the 300 several times on long and short trips. Its power and style are amazing. I did find it a little top heavy feeling. I also found that the prices on them are a little top heavy too, even used. I am not a rich old guy. To be able to buy this was not easy. I could have done a lot of things with $3000. I made owning a new Vespa a priority among those things and I regret nothing. I know the 300s are the darling of the Vespa world, but the 150s are stealing the show.

Scoot On... Mm
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
I can tell you that in the case of the Vespa you cannot make comparisons, in the Vespa the important thing is that it is the Vespa .... what you have more or less is not important, you just have to convince yourself of this.
And also those who want to make the performance comparison a topic for discussion. Simple.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Ah, so much richness here...
DM, I'm thrilled to hear about how you're getting on with the Prima (like lots of people are, so you're hardly alone). I personally think Vespa has the whole power-to-weight thing rather well sorted-out, and your experience seems to bear that out.

I'll want to meet up with the Hornets before too long (will be meeting up with my own club in a week and a half or so), and I'll want to know more about all this.
@chrisfromcle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102

Hooked
@chrisfromcle avatar
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102
UTC quote
Re: 2019 Vespa Primavera Review...
Double M wrote:
...I know the 300s are the darling of the Vespa world, but the 150s are stealing the show.
You certainly will find on this forum that 300s prevail. That is not to say that we small displacement guys are unwelcome or disparaged. We are just a distinct minority.

I too am pleased with my 150 Touring. I do zero freeway driving so not able to sustain 75MPH does not affect me. It has plenty of pep and works effortlessly for two up riding on the country/town roads I travel.

In addition, here in Ohio, small displacement scooters are (150cc and less) are able to park on the sidewalk making my trips to the city easier. (And yes, I know but it IS 150 nominal).

In summary, thanks for sharing your excitement with the group. Enjoy the ride.

Chris From CLE
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
nice looking scoot. they look great in red.

nice write up
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]