@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Bad news:About 6 weeks ago I was paying my storage bill. Walking back to the commuter I noticed my rear wheel was drenched with oil. Wow! Good thing I didn't go down leaning too far during a left turn.
I switched bikes and went home. Later I degreased the bike and removed the plastic and transmission cover. Then I wasn't feeling well, so it sat until today.

Great news:This morning I found the leak. Oil filter cap. Easy fix but I'm a problem solver. I grabbed the 6 point socket and breaker bar to see if it's loose. It wasn't.

Weird news: A while back when i was buying parts, i bought a new filter cap(screw on) and o-ring just in case. During my 45,000 mile service I decided to install the new cap and o-ring. This thing failed in less than 600 miles. So now I have to know why.
I checked the o-rings and there was no damage. Then I screwed both caps on and off. The new cap was not concentric and has a slight wobble while screwing on and off.
Now I'm using the original cap and o-ring but now paranoia is going to make me check this thing like crazy.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Does the hole where you screw the cap have the screwed damaged?
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
The moral of the story is. If I hadn't switched the cap and o-ring, there would be no leak. So no.
My measuring tools are at work. So no way to accurately check if something is out of tolerance and I'm not going take the cap off the bike until the next oil change(50,000 miles).
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Attila wrote:
The moral of the story is. If I hadn't switched the cap and o-ring, there would be no leak. So no.
My measuring tools are at work. So no way to accurately check if something is out of tolerance and I'm not going take the cap off the bike until the next oil change(50,000 miles).
Using a caliber you can check ...
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
Perfect
Perfect example of fixing something until it is broken.

Nothing personal, mind you.

I often have to restrain myself from messing with something that is working perfectly well.
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC quote
You cannot check roundness with a regular two-pronged caliper gauge, if that's what you meant, Attila.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
You cannot check roundness with a regular two-pronged caliper gauge, if that's what you meant, Attila.
Excuse me, i meant a fillet gauge...

Wenn er die Gewinde des Lochs, an dem der Filter angeschraubt ist, ruiniert hat, wird er niemals richtig angeschraubt.
Das Forum besteht hauptsächlich aus Personen, die nicht an mechanische Operationen gewöhnt sind, auch aus einfachen.
Das Abisolieren (Verwöhnen) des Filets nimmt wenig Zeit in Anspruch.
Now my sister would be needed, she also speaks German as well as English, Arabic and Chinese.
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC quote
I used to teach apprentice mechanics and there would always be someone who claimed that he can detect if something is not round with a standard caliper. So I had a 20 pence coin ready, which has seven rounded corners. I rolled it over to the bigmouth and it would rattle and bounce all over the table. And yet, a two-pronged caliper always reads the same diameter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2018_20p_obverse.png
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
...ach so..
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
I used to teach apprentice mechanics and there would always be someone who claimed that he can detect if something is not round with a standard caliper. So I had a 20 pence coin ready, which has seven rounded corners. I rolled it over to the bigmouth and it would rattle and bounce all over the table. And yet, a two-pronged caliper always reads the same diameter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2018_20p_obverse.png
How often would you come across a perfect seven faces shaft??

I can see your point, but I can also see how you could try to find the smallest diameter and then locking the caliper try to rotate again until it stop to the larger diameter... Not the best way, but in the bush it could still help a bit...

It Is not really a detection, but more a matter of reading the caliper while rotating the object in question..
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Com'on people. I've got 35 years machinist experience. Kinda redundant to tell me how to check tolerances.
Yet no one sees the danger of having the whole left side of my rear wheel soaked with oil. I also came dangerously close to running out of oil and scrapping my engine.
Seems like Jimding is the only one that understands the point of this thread.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
breaknwind - I'm glad this didn't cause a fall for you!

From your description, it sounds like out of round is enough to be a problem but not so much it was obvious when installing the part? Do you suspect manufacturing defect or damaged part?

Also, I would think the sealing comes from the oring. So I think you're describing the threads out of round enough that it affected the mating surface? Or maybe the wobble made the oring come out of its groove and not seat properly?
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
berto wrote:
@breaknwind - I'm glad this didn't cause a fall for you!

From your description, it sounds like out of round is enough to be a problem but not so much it was obvious when installing the part? Do you suspect manufacturing defect or damaged part?

Also, I would think the sealing comes from the oring. So I think you're describing the threads out of round enough that it affected the mating surface? Or maybe the wobble made the oring come out of its groove and not seat properly?
Unless I were to compare the caps side by side, I won't know what's up. Could be out of round, o-ring groove too deep, etc. There was no damage to the o-ring.
The Commuter BV is a 2014 but it has the screw in filter cap. Scoot life is 2015 and has the 3 bolt cap. I'm guessing there's a reason they changed it.
What type filter cover do the newer models have, 2019, 2020 and 2021?
I rode it to work with the original cap. Checked it when I got here and it was bone dry
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Also it took >500 miles to happen, so I figure there was a small gap and the o-ring was unable to hold the pressure any longer.
There's a shoulder where the cap seats. That could be out of tolerance.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0188s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0081s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]