@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5, 71 Rally 180

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5, 71 Rally 180
UTC quote
I stumbled upon a tool and hardware supplier. Pretty cool site, they seem to have everything from fasteners to sandpaper, pliers, wire, bearings, tools.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

The website goes on forever, but good stuff, decent prices
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
UTC quote
Re: Pretty cool tool and hardware supplier
Vpfalcon wrote:
I stumbled upon a tool and hardware supplier. Pretty cool site, they seem to have everything from fasteners to sandpaper, pliers, wire, bearings, tools.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

The website goes on forever, but good stuff, decent prices
OH MAN! yes you are right, McMastercarr is a treasure trove of goodies!
@haole avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1964 Vespa VNB / 1961 Lambretta Li150

Molto Verboso
@haole avatar
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1964 Vespa VNB / 1961 Lambretta Li150
UTC quote
Last time I saw the catalog it was in print!
Massive!
@popgunandy avatar
UTC

Hooked
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100

Hooked
@popgunandy avatar
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100
UTC quote
Love this site. Thanks for the tip.

I've actually been completely shocked at what's available at my local Ace hardware...even woodruff keys.
@kowalski avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe

Addicted
@kowalski avatar
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
UTC quote
McMaster-Carr is great. You might also check out Grainger. They have an extensive network of brick & mortar stores and shipping for pickup at your local store is free. Avoids the problem of paying $10 to ship $5 worth of screws.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Haole wrote:
Last time I saw the catalog it was in print!
Massive!
I still get a Chicago phone book thick catalog from them at work.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
Their phone app is amazing too.

McMaster is incredible for the breadth of parts they have, their warehouse site locations that enable very fast delivery, the fact that they have no purchase minimum (though shipping costs for small amounts may make you think twice), and incredible ease of navigation. And returns are easy too - you just send stuff back.

Everyone with a scooter, motorcycle, or boat should be a McMaster customer. They are so good I've never taken the time to understand how to work with Grainger, though they opened a store next to my local Home Depot. But I've heard they're good too.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
I tried using Grainger once in Brooklyn and remember them being kinda a pain in terms of minimum orders for nuts, bolts and the like were unnecessarily large. They also required a membership or something to order online and for some reason my account was inactive and I could no longer order online, but had to go back into the Brooklyn location to get set up again. I also remember the people working the Brooklyn store were not the nicest the one or two times I went in. Never went back to get my account set up again because it was too much trouble for somewhat expensive stuff and I didn't want to deal with the attitude.

Mcmaster on the other hand I think is great! Affordable, fast shipping and minimum orders of smaller items like nuts and bolts is small enough for avg person. The shipping costs aren't THAT bad for small orders. Sure if you just need 100 8mm nuts for $5 then the shipping might make you think twice, but just add some other stuff you need up to about 20-30 bucks and it won't be so bad. There is always something else you could use from mcmaster! Every time I place a small order, I end up browsing around and finding some obscure tool or item that I could use and was surprised they had in inventory. It sure as hell beats trying to find (if you are lucky) metric nuts and bolts at home depot or lowes, and having to overpay for a bag of 4 nuts when a box of 100 from mcmaster is the same price!
@aiosi avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500

Hooked
@aiosi avatar
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
I tried using Grainger once in Brooklyn and remember them being kinda a pain in terms of minimum orders for nuts, bolts and the like were unnecessarily large. They also required a membership or something
I haven't dealt with Grainger since the 90's, but back then you had to have a sales tax exemption certificate on file with them in order to purchase anything.
It was basically "to the trade" only - they did NOT sell to the general public.
After I shut down that business I couldn't buy from them again even if I wanted to (unless I opened a new business).
I guess they are open to the public now?
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
I think you are right and reminded me what the problem was. That was my problem. I used it with a company i was working for then tried to use it on my own after i left that job and couldn't because i didn't have sales tax id. It's been 15 yrs since then so i just remember them being difficult when i tried to create my own account.
@gasmk1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti

Addicted
@gasmk1 avatar
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
UTC quote
As most suppliers now no longer trade only it happened quite a few years ago here, only place i get trade discount is parts suppliers for heating and some discount on plumbing stuff as I have an account but quite often it's cheaper from screw fix or tool station even B&Q as they have a trade section now
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0120s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]