OP
UTC

Honda Integra 750

Honda Integra 750
UTC quote
Hi all

My 18 month old Vespa GTS 300 HPE hasn't been used a lot due to a certain global situation so has done 2,600 miles so far. I've just done an oil and filter change as an interim service.

But after watching Robot's 6,000 mile service video I'm starting to wonder if this is the right bike for me.

According to the maintenance schedule, at 6,000 miles which would normally be 2 years for me, the HPE model needs the following:

Oil & filter
Drive belt
CVT shoes & rollers
Valve check
Coolant & brake fluid
Air filter

I'm not keen on trusting my local dealer to do this expensive service as they couldn't even get the oil level right on the 600 service, so I either have to do this work myself or consider an alternative bike.

Looking at the Honda Integra 750 and the new Honda Forza 350 service schedules, these bikes only need an oil change yearly or at 8,000 miles then all the work the GTS needs at 6,000 miles, the Honda Forza needs doing at 16,000 miles which would be five years riding for me. Obviously, the Integra doesn't need the CVT work as it's dual clutch auto with chain final drive so even less maintenance.

Also I've heard about the exhaust gasket failure and bolts snapping on the GTS so I'm wondering if the labour intensive Vespa is the right bike for me.

I like my bike, so please try and convince me to hold on to the Vespa by letting me know if you encountered any setbacks doing the work outlined above.

Thanks in advance

John Scooter emoticon
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
Hi John,

I can't comment about the HPE as my GTS is 7 years old, but all the GTS's are very similar to work on. All I can say is if you don't trust your nearest dealer to carry out the servicing, you should not let this put you off owning your scooter.

All the servicing jobs that need to be done can be accomplished with the minimal amount of tools and you will gain experience (and confidence) as you tackle these servicing tasks. There is a wealth of information contained in the MV forums to help you.

I think it all comes down to how much time and effort you want to invest in your scooter. I, like many of us on MV, enjoy doing my own servicing and, unlike in the case of your first oil change, in the knowledge that the job has been done correctly.

Regarding exhaust gasket failures and header bolts snapping. These can be avoided. You can simply detach the silencer (muffler) from the exhaust manifold pipe by by unbolting the 17mm nut. This means you don't have to touch the header pipe studs. If you slide the muffler on and off the manifold pipe with care, you can remove and reattach the muffler many times before the gasket starts to fail. When it does fail, replacing the gasket is a simple enough procedure.
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
I don't get the 6000 mile interval for belt change on the new GTS.
Take Yamaha's. x-max 300 & 400 there belts are about the same size and the scooters make more power yet last for 12000 miles before needing replacement
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
If you're a gentle rider you can easily get 12,000 miles from a GTS belt. Riding WOT all the time and you're lucky to get to 6,000 miles. Up to you whether to risk a broken belt - which can lock up the rear wheel with potentially fatal results.
OP
UTC

Honda Integra 750

Honda Integra 750
UTC quote
I definitely fall into the gentle rider category!

In the Scooterwest video, Robot doesn't use new rollers as he said the original ones had no flat spots and looked like new. He looked at the belt but changed it because that's what Piaggio recommends. I got the impression he also thought the belt didn't need changing at that mileage either.

John
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Re: GTS 300 HPE sevice schedule
Scooter John wrote:
I like my bike, so please try and convince me to hold on to the Vespa by letting me know if you encountered any setbacks doing the work outlined above.

Thanks in advance

John Scooter emoticon
In all honesty, I don't think you need to be convinced into anything..

You have done your homework and you are right.

The new Vespa seems to be very needy, compared to other scooter/bike..

But you also need to remember to trust your instinct and above all, take Internet with a pinch of salt...

Some people like to do maintenance work on their vehicles, regardless if it is needed or not.. You just need to chose which group you want to belong too, if you catch my drift...

Here on this forum, you will find both group...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0115s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0046s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]