UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.

Hooked
@bommes avatar
GTS 250 a.b.s.
UTC quote
Longpost alert...

It's been a few years since I wrote my last post on these forums, actually it also has been a few years since I rode on my Vespa.

I put it in storage @ a friends house when I moved house some 3 years ago.
Picked it up a year later to store it @my mother in laws house.
Last year I picked it, had it serviced and hatch a plan to take it for a weeks trip from the my hometown (Nuenen in the Netherlands) to and through the Alpes in France and back again.
Had the tires changed for a fresh set, oil filter change, valve clearance checked, etc. The lot.

Somehow that plan changed and I ended up buying a whole new motorbike.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Those Covid lockdowns make you do strange tings. Clown emoticon

Well long story short, I took that trip with my new bike and tbh all the other rides I did where on my new Guzzi.

But now there is this "The Dutch 1000".
I stumbled upon this trip, it's 1000km in the Netherlands within 24 hours.
And seeing my Guzzi is fitted with knobby tires I thought of doing this 1000km thing with/on my Vespa.

Okay that took al long time to make this post arrive @ my Vespa GTS.
It's been well serviced last year, maybe it can use a new battery but other than that technical it should be in good shape.
I remember there is quit a few iron but riders here so I kind of hoping there is some tips and tricks you all are willing to share with me.

My GTS is fitted with a good navi (tomtom) and my phone is on the handlebars as well. I can listen to music via Bluetooth in my helmet.

There is a short windscreen and a extra rack on the front and a topbox on the back.

Are there must haves on a long haul like this?
I did several trips on my Vespa, some way past these 1000km's but all of those took more then 24 hours.

Longest traveled distance on my Vespa on a single day was 475km's
There are plenty of fuel stations here but I don't know if there is any open @ night. SO maybe some spare fuel cans would be wise.

Well any input would be nice.
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC quote
Greetings:

Roads are longer, straighter and speed limits are higher here in the U. S. and A. (and in Canada) Consequently there are enthusiasts for something called the Iron Butt rallies held at various times and places. Still 1000, but in Miles, not Ks. That's 1600 kilometers! Most participants trick out their bikes with heated everything, cruise control, extra-large fuel tanks and even hook themselves up to catheters so as not to lose time when Nature calls. Read all about it.

The longest ride I've done was from a Maritime province to central Quebec, for about 717 miles or 1154 Km. It was October 31, there were snow flurries at points along the way, and I was beginning to experience symptoms of moderate hypothermia on arrival. I needed to be there for school. It stopped being fun after about 300 miles...
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
That's a little better than my record, Wheelman. In 1961 I was riding from Johannesburg to Cape Town, and on the first day I covered 620 miles in about 14 hours, on my Vespa GS150.

My advice - wear loose clothing, and drink lots of water. Don't forget the sun screen. I was wearing goggles on that ride, and when I arrived in Cape Town the area around my eyes was white, cheeks and chin brown, and nose bright red!
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC quote
Greetings,

Mike I confess my cheating treachery: the year was 1981 and I was riding a Yamaha XS750 triple with a Kerker header and a bad oil consumption habit at WOT, which yielded a speed a little north of 100 MPH and a need for another quart of 30-Weight every other tankful. Hypothermia notwithstanding, I much prefer cold to heat to this day. I cannot imagine even 300 miles on a Vespa in Oz heat.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
I cannot imagine even 300 miles on a Vespa in Oz heat.
My ride was in South Africa. Inland Oz does get very hot, but along the eastern coast where I live is fine for riding most of the year.
OP
@bommes avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.

Hooked
@bommes avatar
GTS 250 a.b.s.
UTC quote
The ride wil be on secondary roads only, no highways.
Speed limits on those are max 80km/h.
Lots of roundabouts and junctions I reckon.

The longest "one go ride" I did was on my Guzzi.
Left the North of Italy in the morning to arrive back home in the early evening.
Total distance for that ride was 1065km.
Okay almost all on highways. And with the cruise control on the Guzzi set at 140km/h.

This Dutch 1000 will take place on the 3th of July.
So I hope all the heated gear won't be necessary.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]