OP
UTC

Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
 
Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
UTC quote
Howdy all,

So: When I acquired my scooter, I found a piece of electrical tape on the top of the fuel gauge sender (just forward of the fuel tank cap), and I assumed it was there to keep the electric leads connect to the fuel gauge sender/sensor in place. After a few months of sporadic riding -- during which I the scent fuel -- I noticed that the tape had come loose and that it had been covering a small hole through which I could plainly see into the gas tank. That is, there was, in effect, a hole in the sender/sensor cap and, therefore, a hole in the fuel tank directly under the saddle.

Can I simply tape the hole over again? Is there a reason *not* to cover it over (that is, does it *want* to be open to the air)? Would it be better to buy a replacement piece that had no hole?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
A photo would help. The sender is at the back of the fuel cap and if it's an autolube PX there should also be a small oil cap at the left of the fuel cap...
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
 
Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
A photo would help. The sender is at the back of the fuel cap and if it's an autolube PX there should also be a small oil cap at the left of the fuel cap...
Here you go! (Note: the hole in question is 'circled' in purple and definitely to the *rear* of the main fuel tank cap; that hole looks directly into the fuel tank.)
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4317
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
You're missing one of the contacts. Either change the whole unit or find a plug that fits the hole. Tapes, etc. will always come off cause of the fuel. And unfortunately this sender is the very expensive one, cause it's discontinued. I had the same on my T5, it was broken and leaking. It was cheaper for me to buy the newer version PX tank and sender unit (plastic)...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
 
Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
You're missing one of the contacts. Either change the whole unit or find a plug that fits the hole. Tapes, etc. will always come off cause of the fuel. And unfortunately this sender is the very expensive one, cause it's discontinued. I had the same on my T5, it was broken and leaking. It was cheaper for me to buy the newer version PX tank and sender unit (plastic)...
Thanks kindly. I found this item on EBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Petrol-Tank-Fuel-Level-Sensor-Sender-Vespa-PX-Scooter/283934661928


Is it the answer?
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
UTC quote
shawnlevy wrote:
SaFiS wrote:
You're missing one of the contacts. Either change the whole unit or find a plug that fits the hole. Tapes, etc. will always come off cause of the fuel. And unfortunately this sender is the very expensive one, cause it's discontinued. I had the same on my T5, it was broken and leaking. It was cheaper for me to buy the newer version PX tank and sender unit (plastic)...
Thanks kindly. I found this item on EBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Petrol-Tank-Fuel-Level-Sensor-Sender-Vespa-PX-Scooter/283934661928


Is it the answer?
That doesn't look the same, I see screw holes in that one and not yours, yours looks to have three wires and that has two. I think the one you linked to is a newer unit. Looks like what is on my 2007 Stella.
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
 
Member
Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5
Location: Portland, OR
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
shawnlevy wrote:
SaFiS wrote:
You're missing one of the contacts. Either change the whole unit or find a plug that fits the hole. Tapes, etc. will always come off cause of the fuel. And unfortunately this sender is the very expensive one, cause it's discontinued. I had the same on my T5, it was broken and leaking. It was cheaper for me to buy the newer version PX tank and sender unit (plastic)...
Thanks kindly. I found this item on EBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Petrol-Tank-Fuel-Level-Sensor-Sender-Vespa-PX-Scooter/283934661928


Is it the answer?
That doesn't look the same, I see screw holes in that one and not yours, yours looks to have three wires and that has two. I think the one you linked to is a newer unit. Looks like what is on my 2007 Stella.
Thanks!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0101s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0043s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]