@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Kind of surprised to have a floppy brake cover when going to replace my broken mirror....even more surprised to find the opposite side loose too. Thought it was the screw, but turns out that somehow the plastic surround for the screw shattered, one of them completely, like a plastic washer.

Not really wanting to replace them unless necessary (those buggers are pricey! ), I went to get my JB-Weld and got to work. Needed a recess, so plugget the whole with a slightly tapered piece of dowel, waxed the end so it would pop off easily when done. Flattened the hardened epoxy a bit to approximate original thickness, and drilled it out. Worked a treat. Fingers crossed that it's done for good....

Still wondering how they cracked in the first place. Overtightening doesn't seem likely (I do have a bit of sense), more likely bumping somehow? Anyone else have this happen?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super
UTC quote
That's a good looking repair. My plastic bits always seemed to self destruct, too, regardless of my being gentle with them. Seems reasonable to me to try to repair them with epoxy and augment the strength with thin washers, stainless steel strips and fiberglass cloth where necessary to reinforce those troublesome areas. Buying new parts just seems to end up in another round of fractures.
Cosmos Bill
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Mine have always done that.
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Appreciate the input. Given the choice of "s%@t happens" vs, "you shouldn't oughta done that!" I'm more comfortable with the former.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0099s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]