OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa Primavera

Lurker
Vespa Primavera
UTC quote
My wife recently got a Vespa 50. From the moment she told me she wanted one I was concerned about her height of 5'3.5. Searched the internet for hours for mods etc. She's been riding it three weeks now and took to it like a duck to water.
She told me from the start that she wouldn't have an issue but I wasn't convinced. I was wrong!
She is slightly on tippy toes at stops and leans a bit to one side but is very well balanced, always in control and she is strong.
Starting to think I may have a few control issues lol.
Point is, Vespas are very much doable for shorter riders, depending on the person of course
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I agree . It very much depends on the person. My wife is also 5'3". She tried hard to like a Vespa LX but could never get comfortable with the seat height. Switched to a Buddy 125. Took right to it, and has been riding one for 14 years. The ride which gives you comfort and self-confidence is the right one.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Be careful if you ever stop on a camber.

I'm 5'11"and can flat-foot both sides no problem. I once absentmindedly put down my right foot on a steep banked right turn and almost had a bad day. I definitely would have dropped it if I were smaller or weaker.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Be careful if you ever stop on a camber.

I'm 5'11"and can flat-foot both sides no problem. I once absentmindedly put down my right foot on a steep banked right turn and almost had a bad day. I definitely would have dropped it if I were smaller or weaker.
Yes, the dips in the ground are deceptive ... maybe shortening the springs of the shock absorbers you lose an inch in height but I don't know how feasible it is.
UTC

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3
UTC quote
I'm rather a hobbit (at 5'2"), and while I can't exactly flat-foot my Piaggio Fly 150, I'm comfortably on the balls of my feet if I put both feet down at stops. I recently bought a Vespa GTV300 which I've not sat on yet, but I'm concerned because it just LOOKS so much higher-- even though the seat height is technically not that much higher than the Piaggio. (The Fly seat height is 30.9", the GTV is 31.1". The GTV is wider, of course, which will make a difference.)

Anyway, I bought a Corbin low-profile seat which I'll install if necessary-- that will lower the height by almost 2". And I also have a pair of really thick-soled shoes which will add over an inch to my reach. Hopefully eventually neither the special seat nor the shoes will be needed as I get more comfortable riding it, but where there's a will there's a way, right?
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
Remember bike/scooters are designed to be ridden feet up. Two stroke Vespas required only left foot out---with foot brake. Nice.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0118s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]