OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I'm about to throw the hammer..... actually already did. I've removed everything that was necessary and watch a few videos saying all I had to do is pry it out. This thing is not prying at all whatsoever. What gives? I might have already caused damage being so frustrated...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
looks like you already removed the clutch basket, and left all the other clutch parts! It takes some skill to do that...

Possibly your woodruff key jammed half in/half out the slot for it in the clutch baseplate? Either that or the metal seized stuck together from being dry/rusty for too long? Penetrating oil and heat in that case?

I'm just taking wild guesses here though..
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Isn't there a circlip that holds the entire unit together? That is impressive!

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Misc-Parts/38477
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Know how you feel. Was this very situation when my clutch basket exploded. Took hours to pry off. Take a deep breath. Get two big screwdrivers and a can of PB Blaster and start leveraging, slow and steady, round and round.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Yeah I managed to pop the ring from the other side of the basket by prying so many different times/ways on the back side that it eventually just popped out on its own. I just cannot believe how one project could throw so many curveballs. I've had full car rebuilds be less painful than this! I guess more cussing and chaos will continue tomorrow. Only reason I even opened up the clutch was to see if the plates had become stuck together. The bike would lurch hard and die upon putting it into gear, lead me to believe something in the clutch itself was wrong and not something I could correct by using the adjuster. Let me know if that sounds right? Thanks for the responses so far!
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX181 Quattrini and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX181 Quattrini and some motorbikes
UTC quote
Further confirming, there is no doubt Vespa's are female. That clutch is and old style 6 spring. Is the worst type and looks heavily worn. By the time you get it out, probably even worse. I would get a whole new Cosa clutch.
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/clutch-ferodo-cosa-2-standard_93030000
While buying a whole clutch you have the opportunity to change the cog size, which we all do.
Three leg puller will have that off in a minute.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX 200

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
PX 200
UTC quote
Yeah I'd have a bearing puller on that... the plates will be scrap...
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
as said above, two big ass screwdrivers and just levering it out side to side slow and steady. maybe add a little heat to it for good measure.

or a three jaw puller would most likely grab and make short work.

you could also try some sharp blows with a hammer to the crank snout and it might free it up, or assist in getting it off.

either way, protect the thread on the end with the nut!

all that clutch stuff is trash. expect to get a new one, complete.

-g
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I definitely own a three jaw puller and will give it the once over. Just wanted to ask again, so The bike would lurch hard and die upon putting it into gear even with the clutch lever pulled in. This lead me to believe something in the clutch itself was wrong and not something I could correct by using the adjuster. Let me know if that sounds right?
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX 200

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
PX 200
UTC quote
areabaylove wrote:
I definitely own a three jaw puller and will give it the once over. Just wanted to ask again, so The bike would lurch hard and die upon putting it into gear even with the clutch lever pulled in. This lead me to believe something in the clutch itself was wrong and not something I could correct by using the adjuster. Let me know if that sounds right?
Sounds like the clutch has had it...

Had the same problem before... would lurch like it has a turbo...

The clutch basket, brass race and plates were all gone... no adjusting would save it... you need a new clutch... a stock cosa 2 is cheap enough...
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
Further confirming, there is no doubt Vespa's are female.
damn should have known
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
BGM sells a nice little clutch puller ... small and simple and it works. You can make something similar by welding a thick washer to a nut and grinding it to shape. It won't help you this time because the basket's off, but it's a good little tool to have for stubborn clutches.
UTC

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
UTC quote
Put some kind of packing under all the clutch parts and tap tap tap on the crank (with its nut on)..there should be enough end float in the crank to get some movement.....other wise ..agree with SoCal..two big screw drivers oppposite each other and lever/wiggle/work your way slowly around. The main idea is to apply leverage to two sides evenly at the same time so the clutch parts are drawn off level
good luck
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
UTC quote
How about sliding a couple of these under ea. side - then inflating?
If you can get them fully underneath - it might work - and you need them around the house anyway - you just don't know it yet.
Bonus - come with spoons you can use to help pry without damage to cases

https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Alignment-Leveling-Inflatable-Rectangle/dp/B08LDNY3MB/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=small+air+shim&qid=1618366538&s=hi&sr=1-6
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Wow so many great ideas here!! Thank you to all! I tried some big ol levers and I couldn't tell for sure if it had moved much. I'll try the 3 arm puller tomorrow as I didnt have access. If the puller fails will I then have to resort to cutting it off? Funny thing is I had the same issue on the other side of the engine with the flywheel and In that situation I had to cut it off but I went just a hair to deep into the crank itself; which opened another can of worms. Like i said I've never had a project test me on so many levels; truly insane!
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
if you've already cut the crank it's trash.

beat the ever loving fuck out of it to get the drive plate off, then split the cases and replace all the bits.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX 200

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
PX 200
UTC quote
Is the cut crank in another post where the woodruff key is shearing?

I'd replace the crank and save yourself some grief...

Removing the flywheel with the right tools and heat shouldn't be a problem... the construction is pretty basic and the torque values are pretty low...
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
Hey CM, I had no idea that I needed that air shim kit. Thanks !
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
UTC quote
two jaw puller i what i use when the clutch explodes like that and the thing is stuck fast

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=2+jaw+puller
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
108 wrote:

Removing the flywheel with the right tools and heat shouldn't be a problem... the construction is pretty basic and the torque values are pretty low...
Epic recall memory! I actually succeeded in fixing the cut crank when everyone else had doubted it ever being salvageable!
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX 200

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
PX 200
UTC quote
areabaylove wrote:
108 wrote:

Epic recall memory! I actually succeeded in fixing the cut crank when everyone else had doubted it ever being salvageable!
Great you saved the crank! See if you can save the other side now...

But you shouldn't need to cut the flywheel off... it's only torque to something like 45ftlbs... so even if it was wonky and seized... the flywheel tool would make short work of it...
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
108 wrote:
areabaylove wrote:
108 wrote:

Great you saved the crank! See if you can save the other side now...

But you shouldn't need to cut the flywheel off... it's only torque to something like 45ftlbs... so even if it was wonky and seized... the flywheel tool would make short work of it...
The flywheel was the other mishap that caused the crank to get slightly cut. Now we're on the other side where the clutch is stuck and now it appears my only option is to cut that as well. I truly don't know how I'm even still passionate about this project and I feel most people would have thrown in the towel long time ago
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC quote
V oodoo solution
Since the clutch is going to be replaced anyway... weld a nut on, pull with a long bolt.

Pics courtesy of V oodoo.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
areabaylove wrote:
I truly don't know how I'm even still passionate about this project and I feel most people would have thrown in the towel long time ago
Not this crowd. This isn't it even frustrating, just interesting to most of us. I mean, look at the mechanical mayhem in Today, I... or some of my or Charlieman's threads.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
You start to get numb to all the frustration.. and find that you are too invested timewise to give up. And they you start to enjoy the speed bumps thrown at you.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1157s ][ Queries: 29 (0.0855s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]