OP
UTC

Lurker
2012 gts 300

Lurker
2012 gts 300
UTC quote
I have a vespa 300 gts i havent started in 5 years. i was thinking removing the spark plug an add a little bit of oil to prevent the cylinder ring scratching the block . listening to ideas. i am afraid to start it without that step. i already got a new battery and engine has good oil level. Any suggestions ?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Change all the fluids - oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and coolant. Especially the coolant because I've read on MV that the coolant starts to get acidic and eating away at the aluminum engine after a couple years. Do put a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder. I think you can turn the engine by rotating the variator nut with a racket wrench rather than trying to start the bike. When you finally do start it, just let it idle for a while so the oil makes it into all the little crevices in the engine. Don't gun the engine

You also want to change out the tires and transmission belt as the rubber starts gettin brittle. I don't know for sure but you may want to change out the coolant hoses too.

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

MicBergsma and Scooterwest have great YouTube Vespa maintenance videos worth watching.

Best
Miguel
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC

Addicted
250 gts, nitroed zip 69cc " the teenager", 200 now 300 lc zip "all grown up"

Addicted
@andythebuilder avatar
250 gts, nitroed zip 69cc " the teenager", 200 now 300 lc zip "all grown up"
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Change all the fluids - oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and coolant. Especially the coolant because I've read on MV that the coolant starts to get acidic and eating away at the aluminum engine after a couple years. Do put a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder. I think you can turn the engine by rotating the variator nut with a racket wrench rather than trying to start the bike. When you finally do start it, just let it idle for a while so the oil makes it into all the little crevices in the engine. Don't gun the engine

You also want to change out the tires and transmission belt as the rubber starts gettin brittle. I don't know for sure but you may want to change out the coolant hoses too.

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

MicBergsma and Scooterwest have great YouTube Vespa maintenance videos worth watching.

Best
Miguel
Everything that Miguel said, but before you go for a full start I would disconnect the HT lead to the plug and let the motor spin on the starter for a few seconds , this will pump fuel through the injector and allow for the lubrication of the bottom end.
Then put the lead back onto the plug and go for it 😁
Cheers ATB
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
I had a similar situation recently - a 2018 GTS 300 that sat for 3+ years. If you haven't done so already, DO NOT start it. You DO NOT want that old coolant and oil running through it at all. Take the battery out if you want to be extra safe to avoid an accidental start.

*You probably want to replace your air filter with a fresh one - it's cheap insurance. Minimally, check it.

*While the air filter housing is off, open up the transmission case and inspect the belt... If it is the original belt, then it's almost 10 years old, and you likely want to replace it. A belt that old isn't ideal. If you don't know when rollers and guides were last changed, go ahead and do those, too. You are in the transmission case for the belt, so you might as well do it all at once.

*As other posters mentioned, change the engine oil and filter (using appropriate 5w-40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil).

* Change the hub oil using the correct spec gear oil.

*Change the brake fluid using the correct spec brake fluid

*Most definitely change the coolant, which will be rusty and orange. Once the coolant is out, flush multiple times with some distilled water; there are also a few "flush" products on the market, but I've never used them. Then, refill will appropriate OAT coolant - the OEM AGIP can be difficult to find in the States. I'm using PEAK Global Lifetime 50/50, which is okay (forum consensus) and easily available. See https://peakauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/202005_ARF38446_PEAK-GLOBAL-AFC-SPEC-SHEET_8.pdf

*Check all rubber.... Your tires are around 10 years old. It's probably time to replace them. Also, check the other plastic/rubber components - hoses, etc. - they are hopefully fine, but look for cracks, etc.

*Siphon all the old gasoline out of the tank and replace the gas with brand new Top Tier 91 or 93 octane gasoline. Unhook the gas line at the injector. Put a container under the unhooked gas line. Hook up the battery and run the fuel pump multiple times until that fresh gas starts coming out (I drained at least a pint just to make sure all was fresh). Hook up the gas line to the injector and refill the tank.

*In terms of order - don't start /ride anything until you've checked/replaced the air filter and the gasoline and fluids are changed! If you are going to replace the tires, wait until the rear tire is off before your do the rear hub oil - it's a real mess with the rear tire on. If the rear tire is on while you do the hub oil, I recommend "blockers" (scrap pieces of plastic) and lots of rags to prevent the draining hub oil from getting all over your rear tire and everything else. If you do the rear tire, you'll need a new exhaust bushing when you put the exhaust back on. Also, the rear tire can be a real bear to get off the rear suspension swing-arm.

Good luck!
@kaukari avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 ABS, 2018

Hooked
@kaukari avatar
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
UTC quote
Ocean360, You will be probably very pissed off if you do all this that guys recommended and your engine had been seized. So be sure that it is not. I would put some oil in spark plug hole and try start it without spark plug cap. If it turns, do the rest.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0123s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]