@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
About 6 weeks ago I stumbled upon the 2012 Cannonball Run post. I spent more than a week reading every entry for the 60 or more pages. During that thread, I saw someone mention an Iron Butt challenge. For those of you who don't know me, I'm new to the Vespa World, but have ridden dirt bikes and dual sports since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. To see the post about my entry to Vespa's here is the link: Bought GTS in UT, live in TX, found a custom hitch carrier

Anyway, It was a Friday afternoon when I read about this thing called an Iron Butt. I was intrigued. I decided to YouTube Iron Butt and see what this whole thing was about--six hours later, my wife said, "Uh, are you coming to bed or what?" I was hooked. What a crazy idea! Who in their right mind tries that? Who on a Scooter would be silly enough to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours or less?! I went to bed.

The next morning I woke up and decided to dig into the Iron Butt website. I found that (if my math is correct) only 48 other people were crazy enough to get that ride certified on a Vespa... and to my surprise, NO ONE had done it in the state of Texas. The rest of the day, all I could think about was, "I know, I know, people who do that are crazy... but what if I was 49 overall and NUMBER 1 in The Great State?! Nah... that's crazy talk. I've never ridden that far on a Vespa. My longest trip is from the Dallas side of the Metroplex over to the Fort Worth side (maybe an hour).

The following morning, while sipping my morning java, I thought, "You know, it's really not that crazy. I mean, I've driven from DFW to SLC and that was like 18 hours--sure, sure, it was in a car, but still..." Next I said, "You know, I have that work trip up to OKC, OK--what if I take the Vespa and see if long riding is good on it?" So I did. When I got back, my wife asked, "How did you like it?" My simple response, "Have you ever had a 4-hour smile? Because I now have--and I'm hooked."

I spent the next two weeks looking at routes to see if it was even possible. I didn't want to stay on the freeway the entire time, even if that was what was best to "eat up the miles." I wanted some Texas backroad forgotten highway that I could still do 65+, but not be surrounded by 18-wheelers doing 85 (yes, that's a real speed in some TX areas--136kmh).

I figured the route, refigured the route, and then changed it up once more. Each time refining the process--choosing better routes, finding more appropriate gas stations and roads to ride--bypassing Austin traffic, and staying more "mainstream" during the early and late hours to ensure the stores were open in case I needed to get a receipt. I wasn't sure I was going to do it, but if I decided I was, I needed a plan.

It all changed once I told some work colleagues that I was thinking about it--only, when I told them, I just kind of said, "Hey, have you heard of this Iron Butt thing, I'm doing it... on a Vespa." With the cat out of the bag, I had to follow through--can't put that toothpaste back in the tube. I looked at the next few weekends and decided that if the weather was good, if I slept good the night before, and if there were no issues between now and the night before, I would attempt this on April 10, 2021.

The weather was beautiful, my wife and kids were supportive, and I was now one of those crazy guys who attempts 1k rides in 24 hours... oh... and if you're reading this, I blame you.

I'll update about the ride next.
Iron Butt Route
Iron Butt Route
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The Route
In case anyone is looking for a great in-state ride with about 50/50 TX highway and freeway, here are my stops:

I started near Highway 380 and Dallas North Tollway. My stops were:
1. 101 N Cornelius Rd, Hillsboro, TX 76645
2. 1328 Old Avenue D Belton, TX
3. 105 E Coyote Trail Richland Springs, TX 76871
4. 9533 S US HWY 87 South, Wall, TX
5. 1105 E Second Street Big Lake, TX
6. TX HWY 11 and I-10 McCamey, TX 79735
7. 2571 N Front Street, Fort Stockton
8. 2113 S Stockton Ave Monahans, TX
9. 1101 Lamesa Dr. Big Spring, TX 79756
10. 540 N Main St, Trent, TX 79561
11. 10075 Interstate 20 Access Rd, Eastland, TX 76448
12. 404 S Main Street Jacksboro, TX
and then I ended back near 380 and DNT.

Sorry, I wanted to add this because I couldn't find many places online that had a good Texas in-state Saddle Sore route--and it took forever to create this one--hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Up next, the story.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The Start
While I was going to go the receipt route, I still needed someone to witness the start and stop. I was going to start at 3:00 AM and luckily, my neighbor is awesome and was willing to get up at 2:40 to drive all the way to the gas station to fill out a paper and then go home and go back to bed. As you can see by this photo below, my mileage was 5159.7 and the time was 3:04 AM CST.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Congrats to a fellow Texan! I did one of these back in the 80s, on a Goldwing. Just because. The thought of it now makes my nether regions cringe. I'll be reading your posts on this.
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The Early Morning
Man, I just typed this whole thing out, hit post and an error occurred... so I lost it all. I'll try to retype. argh.

The morning was uneventful, which is good. It was light traffic and gas station stops were held to simply refueling, quick bathroom break (if needed) and then continuing on. I planned to get through the first few stops while it was dark and few cars on the road and then I would stop once the sun came up and people started waking up. Because I had a plan, I was able to pass Slovacek's in West (best kotaches) and didn't pull into Buc-ee's for a snack--because I had a plan.

What I learned really quickly on my ride was that even the best plans are just that--plans. And everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

I was frozen, hungry, and ready to pull in to my next stop for fuel, coffee, and food, but when I got there, the gas station was closed. And not like, "not open yet, it was closed like the building was EMPTY. I started to get a little worried because I had just gone 91 miles since the last fill up and there was nothing for like 20 miles behind me and like 40 in front of me. I didn't want to backtrack, but I surely didn't want to run out of gas.

I decided to push some buttons on the pump to see what would happen and to my surprise, they were still on, so I slid my card in and pushed the button for premium. Nope. Nothing. Empty. I slide my card again, and this time pushed regular unleaded. The numbers zeroed out and the screen flashed that I should life the pump and fuel up. And so I did. Why was there gas when the station was closed? I don't know--Providence?

Instead of feeling upset that there was no coffee, no breakfast, and I was still frozen, I felt jubilant. I had gas and. I could continue my challenge! Onward and forward! Even if I was a little chilly.
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Breakfast and Allsups
So, I've heard great things about the Allsups burritos, but I've never seen one around my house, so when I stumbled upon one next to my next fill up, I decided it was the perfect solution to my cold, hungry problem. I walked in, snagged a hot coffee, potato and cheese burrito, and asked for extra of their "special hot sauce."

Sure, I didn't think, "Hey, I wonder if eating gas station burritos 270 miles into a 1000 mile day is a good idea." I was cold and hungry, so dang it, I was going to eat something. I sucked down that hot coffee, opened one packet of their hot sauce and I was shocked at how good that sauce really is. I could see myself eating that again someday. The burrito was just ok, but I think they are more famous for their regular burritos, not their breakfast burritos. (Dear God, please don't let me regret that decision with the next 700+ miles).
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The Snack Post
So, I never did warm up that morning. The sun came up and I got off freeways and on to highways, but the temperature actually dropped from when I left my house until stop number 5.

I think it's time to share what I took in my case for snacks along the way. I had snacks, water, and Gatorades across three different areas on the Vespa. This post is to share what I packed and how I packed it.

Up front, on the rack, I attached a small cooler that held 2 orange Gatorades and two waters, covered in ice. I then dropped two string cheese on top and closed it up. Inside the Pet Carrier I had two metal water containers filled with ice and filtered water. They stayed cold until I got to them about 12 hours into the day.

In the back case I had a bag full of beef jerky, trail mix, cliff bars, TX pecan energy bars, starburst, sunflower seeds, and a few other small candies to snack on. Most of this was consumed during the day.

I rarely took my helmet off during the day, but if I was going to be off the bike for more than 15 minutes, the helmet came off and the Sharks Hat went on. I think I took it off 3 or 4 times only.
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The Cowboy, the Exxon, and the "Mountain"
This next stop (6) was one of the funniest of the trip. I had one of those weird, "I don't need to stop for gas, but it's a corner and I need to prove I was here, so I need to swing in, put 50 cents in, get the receipt, and then get back on the road. Of course, every plan is great... until it isn't.

I filled up the tank, hit "yes" on the receipt question and got the infamous, "clerk has receipt" response. So, with a helmet on, headphones blaring, and one glove on, one glove off, I walked in thinking, "I've done this a million times. I just say, "I need the receipt from pump 4" and they print it and say something like, "Thanks you, have a nice day." What I wasn't expecting was that we were in the middle of no where and both the clerk and the cowboy sitting on the other side of the counter wanted to talk. I could see lips moving, but couldn't hear a word. I said, "I'm so sorry, I have headphones in, I can't hear you." They didn't care, they just kept talking.

So, I pulled out my phone, cut the audio, and heard the cowboy ask for what was probably the third time, "How fast does your bike go?" "Oh, it tops out at 78" I said with a smile. "It only goes 78?! That's not a real motorcycle!" said the cowboy in his thick, west Texas accent. "Well, technically, you're correct." I said. "It's even better, it's a scooter!" In a totally serious moment he asked, "What the heck is a scooter?!" He had never heard of that before. Guess they don't make it out this far too often?

He then had to tell me all about where I was and remind me that there was a famous mountain behind the station. I just spent 30 minutes coming in on a wide open flat range--I would have remembered a "mountain" but alas, he was going to show me this mountain. So, I followed, intrigued.

It was a Texas mountain, sure, but it was no mountain. I decided I needed proof that I was there, so I took a picture of the "scooter" by the mountain. He said, "The gas station sells hats with the mountain on it. You should go buy one--it would look good on your not-a-motorcyle." I declined politely and got back on the road. Great memory.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Congrats!!!
Wow, good for you and thanks for the detailed writeup. I look forward to reading any more details you post. Hard to believe with all the crazy people in Texas' huge population that you are the first to do it on a Vespa but it has to start with someone. Thanks again.

Also, I think we've all experience losing a long detailed write on MV if you create it directly in the MV site. Now, if I have a long post I write it in a word processor and then just paste it in the MV compose window. I think there's a time out between opening a composer window and hitting submit. Sometimes, I've been able to hit the back button to get the text which I then copy and reopen the composer window. The other ting I've been known to do is select all the posted text and copy it before hitting post just in case I get an error. That way I can just copy it into a new composer window. I'm sure there's a reason for this but once you figure out how to protect yourself from that error, you can just plan around it.

There are others on MV that have done it on a Vespa as well. I don't know how it happens but at least MVers get a badge added to their profile. I think Bill Dog has the most I've seen at 10. Him crazy man. Bill got banned from MV a while back some reasons I'm not privy to so won't speculate.

Congrats again.
Miguel
His rides are described at the bottom of his posts.
His rides are described at the bottom of his posts.
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The lunch that wasn't to be
Originally I had some friends that were going to meet me for lunch in Monahans, TX which was the farthest west I would be traveling. It was another "corner" point where I filled up a bit of gas just for the receipt, but it was about 1 PM--so it was a great lunch spot. It didn't work out for my friends to meet me, so I thought, "I'll just grab something quick and get back on the road. I was falling a bit behind of where I wanted to be due to several factors.

Across the road from the gas station was a McAllisters. I hadn't eaten there in like 10 years, but I remembered they had a Muffalata, so I pulled into the drive thru. "Hey sugar, what you havin?" ask the lady in the window, I would like a Muffalata and baked lays, please. She looked at me like I was crazy. "Can you slow down and say that word again?" I tried again, slower. She said, "Hang on sweetie..." and walked away. She brought back another lady and said, "Ok, say it again." I ordered once more and they said, "What is that?" (I guess the stores NOT by Louisiana don't serve those?). I said never mind, but thanks so much and drove away--even a list minute plan is only as good as the cajun sandwich it's made on--only good until someone tells you, "Honey, we ain't got nothin' like that around here."

550 miles down and 450 miles to go. Eat some more trail mix young man--and head east!
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Texas Freeways are CRAZY
The next few stops were uneventful and the driving was much more stressful. I left Texas highway 190 behind and entered I-20 headed back to Fort Worth. The speeds were posted at 80 which means cars were flying at 85 and 90 mph. It was two lanes each way and long stretches of straight. My gas mileage plummeted.

The funniest part was where I was trying to go around a semi-truck. I waited until there were no cars behind me or him and gave that throttle everything I had. I got about 9/10s of the way along his very long truck and the pavement changed to a gradual incline. Not enough for him to notice, as he continued trucking along around 76 mph. I however, with that slight incline started to see my speed decline to 77, then 76, then 75, then I wasn't near his cab anymore, I was near the connection to the trailer. 74, then 73, then 71. Now I was at the back of his trailer and there were cars piling up behind me. I slowed, moved behind him, and let the cars pass.

Then the road flattened and gradually sloped downhill. "This is my chance!" I said to nobody in particular, but still audibly in my helmet and I pulled to the lane next to him and gave it everything I had. I got right up next to his window and he looked at me, smiled, and waved. I vowed I would get past him. Then, the road inclined ever so slightly. My 78 turned into 77, then 76 then 75. He pulled ever so slightly ahead while I drifted back to the connection point. Then 74, 73, and then 72. The line of cars once again behind me, I pulled behind him and let the cars go around.

We did this 6 times. SIX. 6. Seis. sechs. 6. 六. Every time he would wave, smile and laugh and laugh. He knew. He knew I only had so much to give. I mean, what is a Scooter doing on this freeway anyway?! Remember, they don't have those out here! I'm pretty sure that times 5 and 6 he was goosing the gas a little just to screw with me.

But, lucky attempt number 7--I passed him. No joke, I was three-quarters of a mile from my exit, way below empty on gas, but I passed him and got off the freeway to fill up. I had accomplished what I set out to do. Sure, it took me over 50 miles to actually pass him and once I did, I drove for less than a mile before getting off, but I did it.

I will spare you the deep thoughts about success and rattled around in my helmet for the next hour (partially because my headphones died (again) and partially because this is a fun story, not a deep story, but if you're ever in DFW, coffee's on me, I'll share the other side!

All in all, the stretch on I-20 was not as fun. It was stressful. It was hard. It was long. It was fast. But the desert slowly faded into what I was used to, familiar with, and ready to see again. North Texas was coming into view and I was 781 miles in to the ride. I've heard that last 200 miles was the worst. I was mentally prepared, but I was done with high speed freeways. Time to steer back on to Texas highways for the last 200 miles in.
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The part with the bluebonnets
If you are from Texas--you get it.
If you have friends or family from Texas--you maybe don't "get" it, but you know that it's a thing.
For those of you who have no idea what bluebonnets are or what Texans do with them, the simple answer is, "they are our state flower." They bloom every spring and they look amazing for about 3 weeks and then you have to wait a whole additional year before you get to see them again.

Every spring, you'll see thousands of Texans pulling off the sides of the freeways, highway, into the cemeteries, and anywhere else these wildflowers grow. They pack all of their kids, aunts and uncles, grandmas and papas into these fields and take approximately 7, 342 pictures--every year. It's a thing. We love it.

Well, I was really started to get tired and the sun was going down and I was starting to get tired, and I needed just a minute to walk around. I passed my millionth Texan family on the side of the road doing the above when I had a great idea--I'm going to drop my baby (the Vespa) into some blue bonnets and snag picture. That way, it's a funny spoof of Texas, but I also get to walk around for a minute. So, I did just that and took two of my favorite photos of the entire trip.

One with the flower and one with the sunset, a Texas FM road, and a Vespa. It is what I was looking for the entire day of riding and I had it--so close to home!
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The First Real Meal and 1000 Miles
So, for those of you who have made it this far, thanks for sticking with me. You likely remember that I didn't eat lunch because they didn't have what I was set on, so I snacked. You likely also remember that I ate a singular gas station burrito and a small coffee--not really a meal (at last for me).

I was starving, frozen again, and incredibly tense from driving so late at night, on backroads that are historically FILLED with wildlife. I was so scared I was going to outrun my headlights, I slowed down considerably. I knew my response time was incredibly slow after 19 hours or so to that point on the Vespa.

I pulled in to the city, so happy to see lights and people, and an area I recognized. As I looked down, I saw that I had just passed 1000 miles by way of the odometer (which I knew may or may not be correct), but I looked up and there was an In-N-Out RIGHT THERE. It was another sign. I pulled in and no doubt looked like a I was strung out on something--it was after 10 PM, I was on a Vespa in the drive thru with bloodshot eyes in a college town. I can only imagine what they were thinking when they saw me looking like a hot mess.

But, I got my double-double animal style with fries and a pink lemonade. It was glorious. It tasted like success. (... aaaaand, another helmet conversation over coffee later). It was amazing!
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
I made it!
After a long, cold, but amazing day, I pulled back in where started approximately 20 hours earlier. It is such a weird feeling to leave in the dark, ride all day, and then come back in the dark again.

I'll share the stats on the next post, but needless to say, I had the absolute time of my life and am so happy I decided to be "One of those crazy dudes who rides Iron Butt rides... on a VESPA!" What a great experience!

Funny enough--after an entire day of nothing big happening, but lots of "changed plans" I was thanking my other neighbor for meeting me around 11 PM to sign off on the return. I was chatting to him about the trip and how great the experience was when I tried to reattach the cooler to the passenger seat (the white top was blinding in the dark, so I moved it behind me) when one of the bunnies snapped and it flipped the cooler upside down and poured ice cold water all over the seat. As if my "bottom" hadn't been through enough that day, now I get to ride home with a wet, and truly freezing bottom. Par for the Iron Butt course. If those few things are the worst I had to deal with, I had a really good, successful, and safe day. No complaints here.
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
The Stats
I don't know why, but I feel like some of you might want actual stats on the trip--they are interesting and not many people post about them. Here they are in no particular order.

My shortest stop was 6 minutes.
My average stop was only 17 minutes.
My longest stop was 34 minutes.

My slowest segment moving average was 43 mph (but that's not true, because it counts my stop for the burger). The next slowest was 55 mph.
My average moving speed was 60 mph.
My fastest segment was 76 mph (but I don't know how that's possible? Must have been a right on the road, no stop/turn and right off again?)

I spent a grand total of $68.85 on fuel during the entirety of my trip.
My fuel fill up average was $4.92.

My lowest mpg was 43.4.
My average mpg was 52.4.
My highest mpg segment was 63.6.

According to my speedometer I traveled 1,016.7 miles.
According to Mapquest it was closer to 120-something.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for taking us on the ride with you.

Cheers.
Miguel
@bommes avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.

Hooked
@bommes avatar
GTS 250 a.b.s.
UTC quote
Great story, well wrote.
Love it.
Great timing as well.

I'm doing the Dutch 1000 this July.
Living in a metric part of this world that's 1000 km's
So not nearly 1000 miles.
But this will contain no high or freeways what so ever, only back roads.
And over here in the Netherlands they are filled with roundabouts and junctions.

Oh and our country is just like somewhere around 300 km's from top to bottom so .. recon it will be a lot of left's and rights to come to a 1000 km's

But not my thread, sorry..
Loved your report, excellent adventure.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Congrats on completing the 1000 in one! Fun reading your posts - thanks for sharing with us.

Your experience in west Texas sounds pretty normal. Miles and miles of nuthin' but miles and miles. I once offended someone on a boating forum when I wrote about hauling through west Texas and said, "If you were going to give the US an enema, you would insert it in Van Horn"... seems his grandfather had homesteaded in that area. My timing was good that we were there for the Annual Blowing Dirt Festival (Jan 1 through Dec 31).

Glad you made it unscathed. No fun being scathed.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Thank you for posting. I loved it!
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super
UTC quote
Congrats! And thank you for posting!
@etres avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTV 300 ABS

Hooked
@etres avatar
2016 GTV 300 ABS
UTC quote
I read every word and looked at each photo with relish and admiration - congrats and thx for posting!

Glad your ride included west Texas. You came close to Andrews (where I live). These days there are lots of "sand box" trucks on the highways due to oilfield activity. I'm guessing you had to dodge those a few times (as do all west Texans).

My longest day on my Vespa is approx 230 miles (to Lubbock and back).
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Re: Congrats!!!
Miguel wrote:
There are others on MV that have done it on a Vespa as well. I don't know how it happens but at least MVers get a badge added to their profile. I think Bill Dog has the most I've seen at 10. Him crazy man.
I will be adding this badge once I get the stamp of certification from the IBA. Can't wait. Got all the paperwork submitted last night. Now... a waiting game.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
MV doesn't wait for the IBA. Well done, and well written.
@bluefoam avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200

Hooked
@bluefoam avatar
PX200
UTC quote
Living on an island, my road-trips always include getting to a place with water.... Up the coast, down the coast, across to the other coast... To a lake...

The first thing I thought when I saw your map is, why is he avoiding that big body of water 🤣

Looks like a great trip, fair play!
OP
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
bluefoam wrote:
Living on an island, my road-trips always include getting to a place with water.... Up the coast, down the coast, across to the other coast... To a lake...

The first thing I thought when I saw your map is, why is he avoiding that big body of water 🤣

The singular word, "Houston" is why I avoided that water. I tried several times to go down the coast, but the traffic in Houston is HORRIBLE. I was too worried that I would get stuck in traffic, so I avoided that route all-together.

My research showed some pretty cool roads over that way--maybe on an un-timed tour, I'll go that way.
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
Nice---may I recommend feather/down jacket under riding suit, so you don't get so cold. Long underwear, too.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
Kudos on your accomplishment! Clap emoticon

Getting it done in one is impressive. As plans fall apart, every little problem seems to become a big problem and being mentally ready to scale the mental wall you alluded to is a lingering dread. Getting over and around all that to hit your goal says volumes about your focus and confidence.

Moving forward, any ride, anywhere, will be a breeze.

And yes, VERY smart to avoid Houston. It can be challenging at most times and a gigantic parking lot at others. My best driving experience there have always occurred around 1-2AM.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
MV doesn't wait for the IBA. Well done, and well written.
+1 Great read. As I was scrolling down and saw your scooter, I'm like, "man, and he did it on a WHITE one? I mean a red, even a black, but man.... Razz emoticon

But seriously, well-done. Glad it went well for you.
Bommes wrote:
Great story, well wrote.
Love it.
Great timing as well.

Now that you've got this down...you're next, dude! 8)

Will be looking forward to your write up. I don't think I could do it...as a foreigner, I'd be taking Stroopwaffeln breaks, Gouda breaks, canal-gawking and the like and wind up about 80 km down the road by evening... might as well take a 50 cc....
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
Will be looking forward to your write up. I don't think I could do it...as a foreigner, I'd be taking Stroopwaffeln breaks, Gouda breaks, canal-gawking and the like and wind up about 80 km down the road by evening... might as well take a 50 cc....
I once convinced a friend to bike with me from Amsterdam to Utrecht to Gouda. Had to rent the bikes first, so we left in the afternoon. A few miles in, we saw a wood-fired pizza joint and decided to stop for an early dinner. It wasn't until after dinner that he realized we still had 20+ miles left to go, and he apparently hadn't been on a bicycle since he was 12. I ended up doing the Utrecht to Gouda bit solo - he met me there on the train.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
I once convinced a friend to bike with me from Amsterdam to Utrecht to Gouda. Had to rent the bikes first, so we left in the afternoon. A few miles in, we saw a wood-fired pizza joint and decided to stop for an early dinner. It wasn't until after dinner that he realized we still had 20+ miles left to go, and he apparently hadn't been on a bicycle since he was 12. I ended up doing the Utrecht to Gouda bit solo - he met me there on the train.
See! Laughing emoticon
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE
UTC quote
a convenience item
I have found that canned coffee is good for long rides or early morning starts when you aren't quite up to speed in the head but have to hit the road and get going. It's recharge me more than once. Good on 'ya for the ride. Bragging rights allowed!
@nzscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS300 S

Hooked
@nzscoot avatar
2009 Vespa GTS300 S
UTC quote
Thanks for sharing. A great ride and a great write up.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
Clap emoticon

Congratulations!! That was a great ride and an excellent write up!

Thanks for taking us along! Well done!
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
TXBootScoot wrote:
bluefoam wrote:

The singular word, "Houston" is why I avoided that water. I tried several times to go down the coast, but the traffic in Houston is HORRIBLE. I was too worried that I would get stuck in traffic, so I avoided that route all-together.

My research showed some pretty cool roads over that way--maybe on an un-timed tour, I'll go that way.
There are FM roads that will get you to the coast from DFW area without ever coming close enough to Houston to hit its traffic. Especially if you go mid wayish between Houston and Austin/San Antonio. While I've never had any interest in riding an Iron Butt I have ridden many times between Houston and Breckenridge Colorado. There are FM roads out towards Amarillo where the posted speed is 75mph. I've ridden then on on Sports City 250, Vespa GTS 300, Scarabeo 500, BV 500 and Burgman 400 (a style of scooter I will never own again but that's a personal preference since they give me a backache).

We love hill country rides this time of year so totally get your "need" for a bluebonnet photo. Your write up was very enjoyable and evoked some of the reactions we've gotten riding places where scooters are rare. In our case it was a camping/general store down a dirt road from Capitol Reef in Utah where we stopped for expensive gas to make sure we could make it to the next town after we had a "changed plans" due to a detour from a serious accident added an extra 50 miles to one of our legs.

Now you do know it isn't too late to sign up for the 2021 Scooter Cannonball. Sounds like you'd fit right in with that crazy crowd.
@louswheel avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
150 Sprint Veloce, RE Meteor 350

Molto Verboso
@louswheel avatar
150 Sprint Veloce, RE Meteor 350
UTC quote
Well done on your achievement! I must organize a UK one someday soon!

Graham
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
louswheel wrote:
Well done on your achievement! I must organize a UK one someday soon!

Graham
Land's End to John o'Groats is not far off 1,000 miles. Alternatively you could just ride around the M25 London orbital 8.5 times and get the same result
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0368s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0164s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]