@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
So obviously this has been a crazy year. I bought a place in Scottsdale last Feb,. with plans to go at the end of March, which never happened due to Covid. My plan was to slow down working over the next several years spending more time in AZ and then retire. Covid hit we could not get to AZ for a year and I decided toi retire at the end of last year, pushed by Covid. So we finally made it to AZ, where my Vespa has been sitting by itself for the last year. Luckily as it was totally ignored, started right up, has had new rubber, an oil change, and service and I am riding. I have an old friend who also lives in Scottsdale, a person I have known for over 50 years who has a Harley Heritage Softtail. We have started weekly riding around town for the last few weeks and it is great. I do feel safer riding with someone else, as even though we are riding in tandem, not next to each other except when stopped, but I feel together we make a larger presence perhaps being safer....but I could be wrong, curious what others think. I also bought another new toy. I bought one of this new two wheeled electric scooters or escooter, There are a number of companies like Bird who have placed them in many communities that you can rent with an APP. I bought one as they were not too expensive and I have to tell you it is a gas riding it. It will do 15.5 mph and go for about 18 miles on a charge. I have taken it around the bike trails in Scottsdale and we have a ton of them. People say they are dangerous but anyone who rides two wheels knows how to do this safely. Just enjoying this and wanted others to know about this. Be happy, be safe, and I have to say the weather in AZ beats the weather in Chicago

larry
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Glad to hear you are settling in, Larry. My wife and I have been riding separately, but together (each have our own bike) for over 5 decades. I absolutely notice a difference in how drivers react when we are riding together vs when I am out riding solo - fewer people pulling out in front of us and tailgating.

As far as the e-scooter, I got one of those last month - not the stand-up kind, I like to have a seat. I use it on our island to get mail (6 blocks away) and take garbage (7 blocks away). Most people on our island do their "running around" with a golf cart, but I just can't bring myself to do the golf cart thing. The fastest speed limit is 15 mph on the main road, 10 mph on the neighborhood streets. This one will do 18 mph as a top speed... almost enough to keep me from getting run down, as very few people obey the speed limit.

I've been riding an e-bike for just over 5 years, and this e-scooter is a lot more convenient, with a large(ish) basket on the back (I haven't come up with a good way to carry a bag of garbage on the bicycle). Too short of a run to fire up the Vespa or the Xmax, this little e-scooter fits the bill.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
interesting about the riding together, that has been my opinion but as this really is the first time I have been riding with others, I was curious about others opinions

As far as the escooter, it is great for a little jaunt, No basket on mine but a light backpack is good. It is also fun to ride

larry
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Zipping Around on E-Bikes
I envy you guys weaving around the community of old farts cackling
like a bunch of crows as you part the walkway of silver topped retirees.

I hear their bones creak as they step off their golf carts and exclaim in
a weasy voice, stunted by years of smoking Camel Straights, "Watch Out
You Young Whipper Snappers".

After all, you wild two wheelers have always been a band of hooligans.

Silence Dogood,
Minnesota
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Re: Zipping Around on E-Bikes
Bob Copeland wrote:
I envy you guys weaving around the community of old farts cackling
like a bunch of crows as you part the walkway of silver topped retirees.

I hear their bones creak as they step off their golf carts and exclaim in
a weasy voice, stunted by years of smoking Camel Straights, "Watch Out
You Young Whipper Snappers".

After all, you wild two wheelers have always been a band of hooligans.

Silence Dogood,
Minnesota
ROFL emoticon
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Thanks for the chuckle, Bob. Ours isn't a retirement community. Come summer, there will all kinds of whippersnappers around.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Congrats on being retired and settled. You are lucky that your old scooter started without making any problem.
I never use an E-Scooter because of its low speed and power.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
From my perspective, riding in a small group seems quite a bit safer, at least with respect to visibility. There's a whole lot more visual impact of two or three PTWs than one. Of course while you may get to relax a bit more about being seen, you have to watch your other riders....
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
I've got one of those Xiaomi Mijia M365 scooters. My neighbors have borrowed it since my commute change and made it an inviable option. They seem to enjoy it. My only real beef is that it's a bit of a pain to replace tires/tubes and the thing seems to get punctures every couple of months.

Good on your shifty wanting to get out and run. I recommend no less than 89 octane in the tank in the hot months to keep it happy. I need to fix up my '81 P200E; used to ride her up to Phoenix all the time until the suspension and electricals started to fritz out. These days, I have a Majesty that makes that ride a bit less of a slog. Feels like cheating.

Check out the Sonoran Sunriders. They're a friendly Phoenix club that are fun to ride with.
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
OK
The sit-down scooters seem OK, especially with the big tires.

The local stand-up rental scooters have teeny tiny tires, probably incompatible with our surface-of-the-moon rough and potholed streets. Most likely why they are commonly seen on sidewalks, contrary to local law.

Saw an article recently that the vast majority of fatalities on such scooters are from car-scooter interactions. That would be my concern locally, since most drivers here seem to think they are operating bumper cars.

But emergency rooms evidently do a lively business in non-fatal injuries. Lots of arm and leg fractures, along with head injuries, as riders don't bother to use helmets, even when supplied for free. Have seen a few young thrill seekers struggle up our relatively steep hill on such rentals, then go shooting down at 30 MPH or more.

I've been riding my e-bicycle more now that the weather is warming. But I try very hard to find routes separated from auto traffic, for the reason stated above. And if forced to share the road, I bump up the pedal assist to level 3 (28 MPH) to reduce the speed difference as well as minimize the time spent in the company of cars. Doesn't help that we have a contingent of bicyclists that insist on 'standing up for their rights' to block traffic and be a nuisance to motorists, creating a certain degree of hostility in some motorists.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0145s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]