OP
UTC

2018 GTS 300 Super, 2006 LX 150

UTC quote
Hi all,

I am going to be relocating from Montreal, Canada to Amsterdam, Netherlands for work in a few months. I am wondering if I should take my Canadian 2018 GTS Super 300 with me or buy a European model once I am there. Work will be paying for my moving costs, so shipping it isn't a cost factor for me. I'm more concerned about meeting European emissions standards.

Any thoughts?
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Since you have a few months i'd start emailing/ calling ahead to see if you'll have any problems meeting emissions/ safety requirements for your new locale. So long as you dont hear no right away, i'd risk it and take my toys with me.

If it does look like you wont be able to register it, do you have a friends/ family you could leave the Vespa with? That way you have something to use when you come back and visit? Or you could sell it and use whatever money you get towards a new 2022 when you get settled???
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
How long do you stay in the Netherlands?
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
I would imagine your Vespa conforms to Euro 4 standards? That would be fine in the EU low-emissions zones. It depends on where you go in the Netherlands to what restrictions are in place.

Amsterdam:

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/netherlands-mainmenu-88/amsterdam
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
Having lived/ridden/worked over seas for near 40 years-----always better to buy local in the end. Just less hassle.
@jimjar avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 LX150ie

Hooked
@jimjar avatar
2012 LX150ie
UTC quote
I know it isn't worth it with cars
When we were living in Germany some work colleagues tried to import a US car..it took them 9 months to get everything up to code (TUUV) and make it legal. It isn't worth it.

Buy something reasonable over there, and sell it when you leave.

The exception is if you are a member of the military, there are special rules...but it doesn't sound like that is the case.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks all for the replies.

MJRally: I am already planning on storing my first scoot - a 2006 LX150, which I am sure would not pass emissions standards Laughing emoticon

Attila: My stay is indefinite. I'm assuming a minimum of 2 years - but it could be longer. I may also be headed to Asia afterwards, rather than returning to Canada. It's a large unknown at this point.

johnymore: I believe the 2018 North American versions are Euro 4 compliant... but I'm concerned about future Euro 5, 6, etc. compliance. I admit I haven't done much research here yet to figure out what is coming into force and when.

john Grinsel: I had paperwork issues preventing me from registering my 2006 LX150 in the US when I moved there for work in 2007. I ended up continuing to renew my Canadian registration for the time I was there. Much easier than rectifying the paperwork issues given the shared border - and not really a possibility when there is an ocean in between. Razz emoticon

Jimjar: I am a civilian, not military, so I won't benefit from any special military rules. I have friends that recently imported a car from the US to Italy when they moved - but he is military, so it was a rather easy process for them.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
From what I know, the importation of vehicles to Italy from the USA is not problematic for anti-pollution regulations but for tax regulations and for the approval of electrical devices (lights and their position).
In Italy you would mainly have to reactivate the original turn indicators and remove the front side reflectors, the Vespa would obtain Euro homologation based on the year of manufacture obtainable on request from Piaggio.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
I've read several threads like this and they all came to the conclusion that unless there was sentimental value it was easier and cheaper to sell and buy another one when you get there.

Good luck.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
From what I know, the importation of vehicles to Italy from the USA is not problematic for anti-pollution regulations but for tax regulations and for the approval of electrical devices (lights and their position).
In Italy you would mainly have to reactivate the original turn indicators and remove the front side reflectors, the Vespa would obtain Euro homologation based on the year of manufacture obtainable on request from Piaggio.
GTS doesn't have US specific lights on it as the stock ones are wide enough at least in the US. It is only the narrower 150s that have the DOT stalks. I can't speak for Canadian requirements but since they are usually the same for vehicles I would expect them to be originals. I've never heard of having to remove extra reflectors anywhere.

That said, I think it would be much easier to sell the GTS before leaving and buy another once there.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
My friend and her husband moved to Germany from Canada with their GTSs.

Emissions aren't a problem. Turned out that reflectors need changing though. Authorities in Germany are particularly picky.

Stephanie Yue (Quezzie) flew from Toronto to Barcelona a couple of years ago and had no issues, but she was just touring, so still had her Rhode Island plate.

The sticklers show up when the time comes to register the bike.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Re: Moving from Canada to Netherlands - Take my scoot?
travellin_canuck wrote:
Hi all,

I am going to be relocating from Montreal, Canada to Amsterdam, Netherlands for work in a few months. I am wondering if I should take my Canadian 2018 GTS Super 300 with me or buy a European model once I am there. Work will be paying for my moving costs, so shipping it isn't a cost factor for me. I'm more concerned about meeting European emissions standards.

Any thoughts?
Unless you have a particular reason for wanting your GTS there and don't mind the huge amount of paperwork and possible custom complication (money is not the only issue when you try to move vehicles from one country to another...) For instance you will need to remove all fluids from the GTS before it is crated and this is just one of the hurdle they will make you go through... If you are doing the importing yourself, it is a very time consuming process

Frankly, the Euro 4 or 5, will be the last of your worries...

If I were in you, and you don't plan to move to the Netherlands permanently, I would store your GTS somewhere, and buy myself a new Giant or Trek bike once there (most common form of transportation) and enjoy the completely different culture..
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0170s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0073s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]