OP
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Do you subscribe to any membership towing services? What's your view of the tradeoffs and benefits, versus finding a towing service only when needed?
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
State Farm includes emergency roadside with their comprehensive coverage.

When I got a flat, I called the local motorcycle tow guys (there are a few). One of them picked it up and took it to a shop to be reshod. I was back on the road in less than 24h!

State Farm covered the towing and labor: I was only responsible for $100 to cover the physical cost of the tire.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
There's a basic roadside assistance plan included with my Vespa Club of America (VCOA) membership but I've never had occasion to use it. I've used the "Hey come help your Dad" plan a couple of times for dead batteries.

https://vcoa.moaroadside.com
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Yes, they do, but you can't use their app, you have to call them to arrange the tow. And when you call you have to hope you get an agent who believes you when you say you have towing coverage and looks at your policy instead of just saying that you don't have it, and that your vehicle is not eligible for that coverage.

The last time I needed to have my BV towed, I called them, and they said I didn't have it. I told them that I did, because I'd used it before. They said that it was my previous BV that had it, not this one. I told them that I have identical coverage, and why did they remove the towing. They said they didn't know. I asked them to add it, and was told that it wasn't eligible for that coverage. So I called U-Haul and rented a truck & moto trailer and towed it myself. The next day, my agent called and said that I did have towing coverage, and that it was under the comprehensive coverage, and did I still need it towed?
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
My insurance tows me 24 hours a day at the added cost of EUR 24 per year. (call on free number or with WA)
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
CAA here with the premium package that includes motorcycles. I've had to use it a few times and they're friendly and pretty quick. I however own a Ural and well... yeah you really want a tow service. For other stuff I have a guy as the saying goes. He's awesome we deal in cash and he'll tow one of my bikes anywhere for a great price. CAA only tows if the vehicle isn't running and that's not always the case.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
I have towing for my cars but I joined the American Motorcyclist Association to have Roadside Assistance for my bikes.

My buddy's Harley broke down on him a hundred miles from home (How unexpected!) and they took it to his house for a fee.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
monogodo wrote:
mayorofnow wrote:
Yes, they do, but you can't use their app, you have to call them to arrange the tow.
I didn't try to get the tow through them - I didn't even realize that was an option. I called an independent motorcycle towman. He gave me a receipt with my VIN on it, and I used it to submit a claim, along with the labor bill to swap the tire.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
For $10 a year I get coverage from my insurance company Progressive. One of the key features I have is they will tow me to "the nearest qualified facility". That is very important. Vespa dealers are few and far between but they will and have taken me hundreds of mile to a dealer. Most have mileage limits.

Also in response to the person who said you did not have insurance. The person you usually call for a tow is just a call/dispatch center and really has no indepth knowledge of you policy. I encountered the same problem but I called Progressive directly, not the tow number, and they quickly resolved the problem.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
Also in response to the person who said you did not have insurance. The person you usually call for a tow is just a call/dispatch center and really has no indepth knowledge of you policy. I encountered the same problem but I called Progressive directly, not the tow number, and they quickly resolved the problem.
That was me. I called State Farm directly. They were the ones who said I didn't have the coverage. It took contacting my agent to ask them about what was different between the policy I had on my first BV, and the one I have on my second, to find out that nothing is different. And they had to research it to discover that it was covered under comprehensive coverage, not separate towing coverage.
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
Have that towing on my scooters, doesn't do me any good cuz I live where there's no tow services that can actually rescue motorcycles or scooters......
Found that out last fall....
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
maggiegirl wrote:
Have that towing on my scooters, doesn't do me any good cuz I live where there's no tow services that can actually rescue motorcycles or scooters......
Any rollback can carry a scooter. That is what has always picked me up but once
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
maggiegirl wrote:
Any rollback can carry a scooter. That is what has always picked me up but once
Yeah, the one time I was able to use a towing service for my first BV, the truck they dispatched got into an accident on the way to me, so a second one was sent, but the second one wasn't told he was picking up a motorcycle. It was a flatbed/rollback, so we were able to roll it up onto the bed & strap it down.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
The basic coverage from VCOA is 25 miles towing, but that can be extended to 100 miles.

I also have AAA Plus RV coverage, which provides 100 miles of towing. It's pricey, but I get other benefits with AAA, primarily hotel discounts.

Wherever you get coverage from, be sure to specify you're on a MC or scooter and a flatbed with tiedowns is required. I actually keep my canyon dancers in the bucket with my tool roll just in case they are needed.

Be very cautious when loading/unloading from a flatbed truck. The centerline tends to have lots of oil/grease/whatever from the broken cars they pick up. it can be quite tricky to keep the scoot from sliding around while the bed is tilted.
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC quote
Here it's a tow truck, and gee, we are lucky if it's running... love my small town life, surrounded by other places not much better equipped
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
maggiegirl wrote:
Here it's a tow truck, and gee, we are lucky if it's running... love my small town life, surrounded by other places not much better equipped
Small town.....just borrow a John Deer and a trailer.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
I've had State Farm and it was cheap if included with your insurance coverage. It's was a total pain in the ass to actually use though. They basically force you to use a phone app to get service. Service takes a very long time since they don't have as many providers under contract as say AAA. They will eventually come after long hours in the hot sun. The extra hours waiting for them to come makes them not what I want.

I switched to AAA which I used one time for a tow home on my BV. Service is entirely dependent on who they contract with in your local area. All of the service providers are dependent on the local service providers in the area.
For AAA you have to add the RV-motorcycle coverage to your existing regular coverage. In southern California they only pay for your motorcycle to be towed the first seven miles unless you upgrade for another $50 per year for more towing miles making your annual costs about $150 a year. If you were going to do a cross country tour for an extended period of time them I guess it would be worth it.

For about $55 I can get coverage with American Motorcycle Association on five vehicles for a year which is why I will be switching to them. I meant to switch to them last year. They have a reputation for good service. They don't have the same mileage limits as AAA. I haven't personally used them yet.

A month and a half ago my wife got a flat tire on her car and I called AAA to change her tire and the idiot they sent out used the wrong size wrench on the ALL of the bolts and rounded them over and couldn't even change the tire. I called back three times and never got them to fix their mess. I ended up driving over to her airing up the tires myself with a pump and driving to the tire shop the next morning. I jacked up the tire overnight. I.e. I didn't get the service I paid for. I'm still pissed about this. AAA ended up paying for 5 new wheels bolts after my numerous complaints. The owner of the tire shop said basically what do you expect from a tow truck driver and that he's seen lots of crap like that. I.e. this is not specific to AAA and they have a reputation for being one of the better providers. AAA will drop their bad providers so it is important they we all protect each other my making complaints when warranted. No offence intended to any tow truck drivers here and I have had a few that were cream of the crop. But there is no guarantee that you will get a good one even with one of the best road side service providers.

Personally, I try to avoid using road side assistance unless there is no way to avoid it. Now, I carry jumper cables, air pumps, and a long wrench with the right socket in all of my vehicles so that I don't have to use road side assistance. For a car, all of the tires will be installed with in impact wrench so tight that you can't get them off yourself unless you have the right tools. What's comes in your car most likely won't work. You won't be able to get enough torch onto the nuts to undo them. However, for my wife and daughters, they need service when they need it, so I have to keep roadside service for them. Since I'm paying for it, I will use it while I have it. For a long trips I would add a spare fuel bottle, too. These things will take care of most of what you would need, except for locking your keys in your car which could be taken care by hiding a spare key elsewhere on you vehicle. I'm pretty careful to never do this.

Generally, I say stick with AAA or AMA after comparing what they offer in your area, their prices, and what your needs are.
@grahamlml avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979

Addicted
@grahamlml avatar
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979
UTC quote
My RAC recovery is for myself and up to 5 passengers maybe 7 for whatever vehicle I drive or ride of am passenger in or on. It includes recovery onwards to where you were going or back home. So in theory I could get recovered from one end of the U.K. to the other (about 1,000 miles ) for no extra charge. Membership about £120 a year if I remember rightly. Plus if they can't fix on spot like when everything closed they will pay for a nights lodgings. I only done it once with them when fan belt snapped and couldn't pick one up till next morning.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0155s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0090s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]