OP
UTC

1980 50 Special 85cc; 1998 ET4 125; 2016 Sprint 125; 1980 Ciao

UTC quote
Hi, I just brough home newest addition to my herd - a lovely Positano Yellow Sprint.

One issue I noticed is that only 3 out of 6 DRL LEDs are working.

When browsing for new part I noticed the LED piece should actually be removable.
Has anyone ever tried to repair this, or can share how it looks disassembled?

(Don't wanna take mine apart yet as still have to deal with paperwork and DMV next week)
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
I'm 5/6 on mine, it bugs me now and then, but not enough to take a spanner to the scoot.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
You possibly have two options here..

1) if sold as spare, replace the grey part showed in your second picture by removing those two little screws

2) if not, then find out what kind of LED it is used. Normal 3mm or 5mm round LED or SMD LED which are a bit harder to work with due to their size..

Not a hard job if you already have a good magnify lens and a quality soldering pencil...

Make sure you match the existing LED's voltage otherwise you will have to change the diodes as well...
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
Remember
If you opt to do the repair, remember to observe correct polarity. Diodes have a positive and a negative terminal. Won't work if reversed.

Have seen t he same issue on numerous autos with LED surrounds and aux lighting. Evidently LED's do not reliably survive as long as we have been promised.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks, I'm confident about the electrician part of work. More curious how it actually looks from the other side. It's not sold as a separate spare so wasn't able to find any pictures of the actual circuit board or whatever there is - so mainly looking for this piece of info
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
@ Jimding

Most LED will give you an average of 30000 hours MTBF, but this number was for a controlled environment like on a device inside your home..

On vehicles now you have vibrations, humidity, water, sun, extreme temperatures... Not the same as inside a building really...

MattDiamond

By logic it should have a small circuit where the LED are connected in parallel on two tracks with a diode lowering the voltage, one for each of the LED..

I haven't open mine, but by looking at the picture I would also think that a 3mm round while LED is used for this application, so it should be fairly easy to replace. If water got in perhaps one of the two tracks has oxidised or lift off the board and broken. You can if you wish replace it with a thin wire if there is enough room between the board and the clear acrylic..

Post some picture when you open the back please, so that it could help others as well..
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Even if the discrete LED is the point of failure and it is replaceable finding a LED the right size, beam pattern and temperature(colour, because theres a whole spectrum of whites) will be more trouble than its worth.

The 30,000 (often 50,000) hours quoted for life expectancy of LEDs isn't the MTBF. It's a lumen maintenance estimate as they dim over their lifetime. Typically it's 70% brightness, which is actually not that perceptible on an individual LED but you'll likely notice that if it's one in a string.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Even if the discrete LED is the point of failure and it is replaceable finding a LED the right size, beam pattern and temperature(colour, because theres a whole spectrum of whites) will be more trouble than its worth.

The 30,000 (often 50,000) hours quoted for life expectancy of LEDs isn't the MTBF. It's a lumen maintenance estimate as they dim over their lifetime. Typically it's 70% brightness, which is actually not that perceptible on an individual LED but you'll likely notice that if it's one in a string.
Maybe to you, but some people do like to fix their own things and if you wish to replace the faulty led's or diodes for few dollars, I don't see the problem with that..

If we were talking about replacing an 16 or 32bit SMD chip, I would understand your concern, but with a two legs LED or a two lugs SMD LED, I don't really see the trouble you are mentioning..

Regarding the size, most electronic shop do carry the most common ones, and LED's do not have a real beam pattern. That's achieved by the plastic reflector surrounding the LED.. Regarding temperature, again most electronic shop will have the most common K temperatures.. Cars manufactures do tend to use common components to keep costs down, so I wouldn't be surprise if the Vespa just uses the 3-5mm white LED. Jaycar here in Australia (just to mention one, does have several temperatures available for sale:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text=White+LED&CSRFToken=2c27f38b-7d4d-4697-9ba2-66ca697975a8

You could also buy a length/roll of white SMD led and then cut what you need (normally minimum length is 3) and just glue it in place. That will give you the 12 volts LED strip that you need for these kind of jobs and also making the LED replacement on a Vespa a 10 minutes job..

Having a dimmed LED in front of your vehicle, that eventually will die as it doesn't stop to 70%, compare to the original brightness, it makes it a kind of failure to me. Also, it is very easy to see when a single old LED has reach its end of life, especially with the bicolours and/or the tricolours ones.. So you can use what ever you want MTBF or ARL to describe your LED, I don't have a problem with that, as I would understand what you meant anyway!

Here are some references..

https://www.hyperikon.com/blog/how-long-do-led-lights-really-last/

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/electronic_components/diode/light-emitting-diode-led-lifetime-lifespan-expectancy-mtbf.php
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018
UTC quote
I had the same issue on mine. It was a simple issue covered under warranty. Dealer fixed it with no fuss
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0072s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]