@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Scattered remnants of (two!) 1974 Rallys

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
UTC quote
I replaced the rear shock with one sold as 'stock,' and the shock was longer than the original one. So didn't use the spacer, but someone mentioned it was sitting low.

So I put in the shortest one, 44mm.

Does this look like the correct height? Now it looks too high.

Are the grills on the fan supposed to be perfectly parallel with the cowl? they were slightly off in both positions.

The front wheel now touches the ground on the stand, but but just barely.
Before
Before
After
After
Before
Before
After
After
Basically the same bike in 1981
Basically the same bike in 1981
UTC

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I've just used the 43mm spacer on my PX200E restoration. This spacer is actually meant for an 8" wheel bike eg. 150 Super, and a P/PX should have the 48mm or 52/3mm spacer. I'm trying to swing my Polini box exhaust away from the centre stand spring, so I'm trying the shorter spacer. The Polini usually catches on the little 'S' hooks that hold the spring to the frame strut.

Yours looks great, despite being a little low, and shows me what mine will look like when it's finished.
OP
@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
I've just used the 43mm spacer on my PX200E restoration. This spacer is actually meant for an 8" wheel bike eg. 150 Super, and a P/PX should have the 48mm or 52/3mm spacer. I'm trying to swing my Polini box exhaust away from the centre stand spring, so I'm trying the shorter spacer. The Polini usually catches on the little 'S' hooks that hold the spring to the frame strut.

Yours looks great, despite being a little low, and shows me what mine will look like when it's finished.
Oops. This is 21mm. I also have a 41mm and 55mm. But the 55 was definitely too long with the new shock.

Is there a guide for the right height? Like how the carb box sits next to the frame?
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
The 21 (actually 25mm I think) was used on the Rally 200. I would try the 41 (should be 43mm)
@kowalski avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe

Addicted
@kowalski avatar
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
I'm trying to swing my Polini box exhaust away from the centre stand spring, so I'm trying the shorter spacer. The Polini usually catches on the little 'S' hooks that hold the spring to the frame strut.
The instructions that came with my Polini box said to delete the s-hooks and hook the springs directly to the slots in the cross-member. Doing that should give you adequate clearance.
UTC

Hooked
Rally 200

Hooked
Rally 200
UTC quote
Great looking scooter 😎
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Quote:
Are the grills on the fan supposed to be perfectly parallel with the cowl? ... Is there a guide for the right height?
You got it, the fan vents should be parallel to the cowl, and the bottom edge of the cowl should be parallel to the ground.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by SoCalGuy on UTC; edited 1 time
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Should you have someone sitting on it? I'm thinking of my motorcycle that gives an actual measurement for droop. You sit on it, standup, sit, standup repeatedly establishing an average in both positions. Then adjust spring tension as necessary for your weight.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Kowalski wrote:
swa45 wrote:
I'm trying to swing my Polini box exhaust away from the centre stand spring, so I'm trying the shorter spacer. The Polini usually catches on the little 'S' hooks that hold the spring to the frame strut.
The instructions that came with my Polini box said to delete the s-hooks and hook the springs directly to the slots in the cross-member. Doing that should give you adequate clearance.
Thanks Kowalski, but i'm trying to avoid attaching the springs directly to the frame. The paint is new and I'm looking at every possible way to prevent scraping it and exposing bare metal, particularly underneath. I've decided to use the twin spring setup of the late PX, which was changed to accommodate the catalysed exhaust. Two thinner springs are used compared to the single fat spring of the pre-cat P series. It that means a SIP Road 3, then so be it, but I do like the Polini box.
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
OP
@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Should you have someone sitting on it? I'm thinking of my motorcycle that gives an actual measurement for droop. You sit on it, standup, sit, standup repeatedly establishing an average in both positions. Then adjust spring tension as necessary for your weight.
I'll try that!

The spring isn't really adjustable on on the stock ones. You can tighten it a bit, but just a few mm.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Update on my build and relevant for this thread: the 43mm shock spacer (factory item from my 150 Super) puts the top flywheel cover slat perfectly level with the side panel/cowl lower edge. Also, the centre stand spring hooks do not interfere with the Polini box exhaust. In fact there is a healthy 4mm clearance. This is an '87 PX EFL with a YSS Mono-E rear shock. I have used an OEM centre stand from the 2011-2016 final PX production, which uses two thinner springs in place of the single fat one of old
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0147s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0042s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]