OP
UTC

Lurker
BV350

Lurker
BV350
UTC quote
Hi everybody,

I am a fan of Vespas and I own a PX 200. I registered a few months ago to have access to the topics because I needed information to restore my PX.

I also have a BV350 for daily use in Paris area.

Today I have to repair oil leak from the left leg of the fork and change the seal but I am having issues.

On the workshop manual it is written that you must unscrew the stem closing cap and slide off the complete fork leg but it is impossible to access the stem if the fork is in place.

Has anybody already changed the seal and oil ?

Thanks for you help
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
Please
Please post pictures and hints if/when you figure it out. Mine is about due for a fork-oil change.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
A Dutch guy, "Chiefpep" on YouTube, did a bunch of well-illustrated maintenance on a Scarabeo 500ie which I think has similar if not identical suspension components.

This might be helpful.

@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
I confirm.... Scarabeo 250/300/400/500 and corresponding Beverly (BV) models are mechanically and body frame the same; only the covers change and a few other things.
OP
UTC

Lurker
BV350

Lurker
BV350
UTC quote
Thanks for your replies.

Actually it seems that the system is a bit different on the BV350.

The cap is positioned in such a manner that it prevents the leg to slide off and there is no room above it to place any tool...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018
UTC quote
2750 ... I'm prob the worst mechanic on earth so really can't help out here .... I'm curious the year of your BV... I'm riding a 16
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've done a fork oil change on my '13 BV350

Most bike repair manuals say to loosen the fork cap before removing the fork, but they don't say to remove them. The reason is you are going to have a hell of a time loosening the cap trying to hold the fork in your other hand, unless you use an impact. Since they don't recommend using an impact on fork caps they tell you to loosen the cap while still in the fork brace.

For the first one I followed the instructions and completely unscrewed the fork cap. For the second one I just loosened it. Both went out and back into the fork brace without issue. What the manual didn't tell me was there is a snap ring on top of the fork brace, and the fork will not come out unless you remove that snap ring. You will have to feel for it and use a metal pic to pry it out.

After that the rest is just like any other low grade fork. I felt the forks on mine were too stiff, so I used Bel-Ray 5 w fork oil to soften the ride a bit, which works perfectly.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I did Honda Silverwing scooter forks not long ago. Pulled the legs out of the tree without removing any panels. It's a lot of work and required special tools to seat the forks seals, but it can be done. Then when I was getting ready to reassemble the forks I discovered the headset bearings could use a repack. Things to note:
When you remove the fork caps there is a spring inside that makes them a pig to handle.

Check the chrome tubes for any pitting and replace if issues are found.

Study the internal parts diagram and the service manual. If the manual says replace a part, don't be cheap and recycle those "replace" parts.

I ordered 3 seals because I knew one would bet messed up, and one did.

Check headset play and flow while the legs are out. If bearings feel rough consider repacking.

I strapped the rear wheel down while the forks were out. Worked great and I didn't worry about it rocking forward.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
Check this out before you tear the front end apart. I had a leaking seal on my Burgman 400. I came across this product on a suzuki forum. I cut one out of the side of a milk jug, and ran it around the fork 3 or 4 times. I pumped the front end a half dozen times, still leaking. After 3 rounds of doing this, I cleaned enough crud out of the seal to stop the leak. I've put 100 miles on the scooter, still no leaking. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPr508CSJQ"
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
How much of the dirt that has made its way into the seal will wind up inside the forks after using that tool?
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
That seal tool does work very well. Just follow the instructions. But on my scooter the leak was so bad that when I finally pulled the legs I could bottom out the leaking leg with my hands! The other leg was still o.k. but I rebuilt it anyways.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
Bueller wrote:
How much of the dirt that has made its way into the seal will wind up inside the forks after using that tool?
None to very little. You push the tool down past the seal. You work it around the fork a couple times lifting gently as you go around. The little hook is there to pull the crud out with the tool. Make one out of a milk jug and give it a whirl. A lot of people swear by these. Another thing i've started doing is cleaning the fork shaft everytime after I ride. It's designed to catch the maximum amount of crap in the shortest amount of time.
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
UTC quote
Yep! Keep your fork tubes clean.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0121s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0025s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]