Fairing removal guide and a few other questions...
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 500 Sport
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 pm quote
Hi all,

I'm new here, got a 2014 MP3 500 with at least a few issues - rusted through and leaking thermostat (replaced with new one) and broken parking brake cable and seized parking brake caliper (sorted both).

The parking brake lever switch doesnt seem to have any plastic bits left to be attached so I've just left it not connected... The battery doesn't seem to be charging - so will have to follow Wiki on pin-pointing the issue.

In addition both ASR and ABS lights keep flashing stationary or on the move (maybe a fix for new tyres - from the manual - that someone has mentioned would fix that ?).
But the biggest problem I have so far is how to take off plastics/fairing. It just takes most of my "garage fix" time.

Can anyone please suggest if there is some order (I reckon, there is)in taking fairing plastic off and back on, and does the manual for that exist? if so, can you point me in the right direction ?

And maybe another question. When the scooter is on the centre stand, even if I sit on it it would not rev more than 3000 rpm... Clearly ASR doesn't allow it as it revs fine on the road, but how do I make it go 5000rpm as workshop manual requests to do while checking/fixing the charge issue ?

Thank you
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:38 pm quote
Re: Fairing removal guide and a few other questions...
alexole74 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here, got a 2014 MP3 500 with at least a few issues - rusted through and leaking thermostat (replaced with new one) and broken parking brake cable and seized parking brake caliper (sorted both).

The parking brake lever switch doesnt seem to have any plastic bits left to be attached so I've just left it not connected... The battery doesn't seem to be charging - so will have to follow Wiki on pin-pointing the issue.

In addition both ASR and ABS lights keep flashing stationary or on the move (maybe a fix for new tyres - from the manual - that someone has mentioned would fix that ?).
But the biggest problem I have so far is how to take off plastics/fairing. It just takes most of my "garage fix" time.

Can anyone please suggest if there is some order (I reckon, there is)in taking fairing plastic off and back on, and does the manual for that exist? if so, can you point me in the right direction ?

Hi, I have 400ie 2009 model, and what I learned is that you start to take the fairings from top to bottom, it is easy and if you start from the top to below, all will be taken off easy. To reach the parking break leaver you need to take everything off, be careful while doing that so not to brake any fairing connection points, in the proper way you need to take the front and back to reach the parking brake lever,
good luck.

And maybe another question. When the scooter is on the centre stand, even if I sit on it it would not rev more than 3000 rpm... Clearly ASR doesn't allow it as it revs fine on the road, but how do I make it go 5000rpm as workshop manual requests to do while checking/fixing the charge issue ?

Thank you
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 500 Sport
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 am quote
Re: Fairing removal guide and a few other questions...
abcdef wrote:
alexole74 wrote:
Hi, I have 400ie 2009 model, and what I learned is that you start to take the fairings from top to bottom, it is easy and if you start from the top to below, all will be taken off easy. To reach the parking break leaver you need to take everything off, be careful while doing that so not to brake any fairing connection points, in the proper way you need to take the front and back to reach the parking brake lever,
good luck.

Thanks for this, appreciated.

I had to take off everything to get the parking brake's cable reinstalled - it is now in the past, but when you mentioned order from the top to the below, so if I want to take off fairings on both sides (where pillion's grab rails are), do I need to take off seat and underseat compartment first or just the top box and go from there ?
I thought that the best way was to start with node Piaggio badge and then progress to the rear... I personally find the way Piaggio attach fairings quite odd and hard to dismount.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:00 am quote
I just had mine apart to run some wiring to the battery.

You need to start from the back and work forward.

The tail piece
the rear lights
the lower skirts
the grab rails
whatever backrest your machine has
the upper rear fairings (the trunk and the trunk lid stay in place)
the seat (be careful detaching the seat switch connection)
the kick panels on each side by your toes plus the screws they cover
then the center tunnel can be rotated up and forward (disconnect the cable for the fuel door) you'll have to pull it around the fuel tank filler neck.

The front you have to work top down

Grill cover
Piaggio badge
Y-shaped front piece
windscreen
dash cover
headlight
front side skirts
front cowl

If you absolutely must have the knee panel off (which you will to get to the parking brake cable mounting point) Then you'll have to struggle with the various screws that hold the lower cover behind the radiator so that you can access the screws behind the knee panel. Not a lot of fun.
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 500 Sport
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:20 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
I just had mine apart to run some wiring to the battery.

You need to start from the back and work forward.

The tail piece
the rear lights
the lower skirts
the grab rails
whatever backrest your machine has
the upper rear fairings (the trunk and the trunk lid stay in place)
the seat (be careful detaching the seat switch connection)
the kick panels on each side by your toes plus the screws they cover
then the center tunnel can be rotated up and forward (disconnect the cable for the fuel door) you'll have to pull it around the fuel tank filler neck.

The front you have to work top down

Grill cover
Piaggio badge
Y-shaped front piece
windscreen
dash cover
headlight
front side skirts
front cowl

If you absolutely must have the knee panel off (which you will to get to the parking brake cable mounting point) Then you'll have to struggle with the various screws that hold the lower cover behind the radiator so that you can access the screws behind the knee panel. Not a lot of fun.
Thanks, great post !
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.0357s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0190s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]