OP
@kek avatar
UTC

LX150

@kek avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Greetings Vespatisti !!

I sold my LX150 nearly 10 years ago and only replaced it late last night with a 2010 GTS300 Super.

Great to be back on the "magic carpet" again:)

Have had several motorcycles since then (nearly 20) but always missed my trusty Vespa.

I just ordered a Faco Twin-screen windshield for those freeway jaunts, but am interested in upgrading the suspension and brakes. Looks like the Bitubo still are available but Mallosi (Paioli) and Carbone are also advertised for my model.
Anybody have experience with these or can point to a comparison between them?

And then there are brakes. Obviously I will upgrade to SS braided lines, but is there a Brembo that fits front or rear? Or is there another brand that improves stopping power and feel?

I'm working on an electric supercharger to add a few ponies (mostly for my own entertainment).

Cheers,

Randy

PS: are there any meetups scheduled for the DFW metroplex this month?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
And you even kept your old account. Welcome back!
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
jess wrote:
And you even kept your old account. Welcome back!
That is pretty amazing.

Who remembers their password from a site you commented on only 6 times almost 12 years ago?
@txbootscoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
@txbootscoot avatar
2012 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
I'm DFW based and open to going for a ride if you find one! I don't know of any in the near future.
OP
@kek avatar
UTC

LX150

@kek avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Yeah, i have been "lurking" on this site for quite a while while i perused craigslist and Facebook marketplace for a gently used 300. Finally, the finances and opportunity converged:)
I'm more impressed that my conspicuous absence was discovered;)
I'm always up for nice scooter ride. Every other weekend usually works for me.
I live west of Ff Worth, where there are amazing roads.0
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
First of all: welcome (back), kek...you left here before I arrived, it seems.

On the subject of suspension: I recently upgraded to Malossi shocks a bit over a month ago, and I have to say the difference, for me at least, was profound: the stock shocks that came with my GTS were fine for the first year or two that I had them, but as I rode both more excursively and aggressively, their limitations, including longevity, became clear.The RS24 shocks are somewhat firmer in ride-quality, but not harsh, and the level of improvement in control, particularly on rougher pavement, is palpable. And, both preload and damping are adjustable, front and rear.
Melody, the day I got her back from the dealer. (Long story, elsewhere here on MV.)
Melody, the day I got her back from the dealer. (Long story, elsewhere here on MV.)
@cballweg avatar
UTC

Hooked
Honda Aero 1100

Hooked
@cballweg avatar
Honda Aero 1100
UTC quote
Ride Group
Glad to have you back. I recently purchased a '21 GTS300 but am not aware of any ride groups in the area, but there must be a few. If not, perhaps we could start one, but I am too old to play an active role.
OP
@kek avatar
UTC

LX150

@kek avatar
LX150
UTC quote
I just had a lengthy discussion with George of Scooter Parts Co who talked me out of the Bitubos and into the Malossis.
So, alomg with your recomendation amateriat, i guess they will be on order next.
In the meantime, i installed the sidestand and the Faco Twinscreen (though the bottom half arrived cracked - George is sending a replacement).
I also removed the unsightly fender reflectors and ordered color matched plugs (from Scooter West) to fill the holes.

Does anybody else encounter steering head shake from 30-60mph? Im going to inspect the headset bearings this weekend, lube and tighten them. I've heard this may cure the problem.

Otherwise, enjoying the heck out of this little scoot Laughing emoticon

Reminds me about the joy of experiencing the environment. Back when i had sport bikes, i almost completely missed the scenery i was so focused on the road (track). With the Vespa, i go slow, so i can fully experience the whole environment. Popcorn emoticon

So cballweg, you think you're too old huh, well ill be 63 this year and believe i have a couple more decades of riding to go before i hang it up 8) The next couple of weeks are not going to provide me-time, but soon afterwards, we should schedule a ride. A few years ago, I attended s group ride that started at Moxie Scooters in Colleyville. They were regulars. Maybe we could tag along with them...
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
kek wrote:
Does anybody else encounter steering head shake from 30-60mph? Im going to inspect the headset bearings this weekend, lube and tighten them. I've heard this may cure the problem.

I'm a relative newcomer compared to you, but welcome back all the same. I presume you've already checked the common head-shake culprits, i.e. tyres correctly inflated and the wheels balanced?

How long do we have to wait before we get to see a picture of your GTS 300?
OP
@kek avatar
UTC

LX150

@kek avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Hey Touring300, it will be a couple of days before I can take good pictures, its raining hard here in Texas Crying or Very sad emoticon

I've encountered this phenomen on several bikes before and it's always been a loose headset. Yeah tires are good - typically if a bit low it can help the situation, if it doesn't then it is definitely loose headset as slightly low tires will grip a little better - that's why on track days, we deflate our tires from 35 to 20psi.
Are you really in Cypress, Greece? Then Χριστός ἀνέστη!! - the extent of my greek Must be fantastic scenery to experience while riding the Vespa.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
kek wrote:
Hey Touring300, it will be a couple of days before I can take good pictures, its raining hard here in Texas Crying or Very sad emoticon

I've encountered this phenomen on several bikes before and it's always been a loose headset. Yeah tires are good - typically if a bit low it can help the situation, if it doesn't then it is definitely loose headset as slightly low tires will grip a little better - that's why on track days, we deflate our tires from 35 to 20psi.
Are you really in Cypress, Greece? Then Χριστός ἀνέστη!! - the extent of my greek Must be fantastic scenery to experience while riding the Vespa.
Re-welcome ... I also posted a little initially, I was more reading and I was here before but this does not matter, the important thing is not to have closed the door.
Ciao
PS: we are many on MV and we are in various parts of the world.
Greetings from Italy.
@pjlblkone avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
BV 350,BV 300

Enthusiast
@pjlblkone avatar
BV 350,BV 300
UTC quote
back in the family
I too had forgotten id and password info. Just now was able to hopefully change password and become a regular poster. Been a member since 2006 and drive two different BVs. one 2010 BV300, 2014BV350. hopefully with new password I can help other riders with my over 50 years of experience.
OP
@kek avatar
UTC

LX150

@kek avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Ahhh, Italy; Meca for the Vespatisti (and Ducatisti)

Thanks for the kind words. MV seems to have grown in the 12 years I've been absent. Lots of great info.

I plan to "upgrade" my GTS300 with an electric supercharger fabricated from a cordless leaf blower. Should be an interesting exercise. I'll probably need a throttle body from a Piaggio 500cc bike, otherwise just straightforward plumbing - i plan to use a 12V cordless leaf blower, so power will be easy.
I haven't checked whether the throttle has a TPS, if so, it will make the task much easier. If not, I'll have to install one.
Just purely looking at numbers, a typical 12V cordless leaf blower produces about 500CFM at atmospheric pressure. The 276cc motor @ 6,000rpm uses about 30 cfm. So assuming no losses, at 30CFM the pressure should be about 15 atmospheres. Definitely overkill, but since the leaf blower is variable speed, I should be able to regulate how much air gets in at each throttle position. This should nearly double the HP as long as I can get enough fuel into it.

Has anybody done something like this to their scooter?
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Let me understand, do you want to build and apply a volumetric compressor to the Vespa engine?
OP
@kek avatar
UTC

LX150

@kek avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Let me understand, do you want to build and apply a volumetric compressor to the Vespa engine?
Well, simply put, PV=K, Pressure X Volume is a constant, so if the leaf blower produces 500CFM at 14.7psi, and the GTS300 only needs only 30CFM at 14.7psi, then the result is 500/30 X 14.7psi or 245psi. Obviously there will be dramatic flow losses, so I would expect closer to 50psi at 30CFM.

Randy
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0569s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0123s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]