@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
I sure like the looks of these. I can see one in my future.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
UTC quote
I've seen the 150 up close and personal here in the US. It seemed well put together, the big downside is no storage under the seat. That's where the gas tank is.

I was able to sit on one and the seat height is a bit taller in the 150 than my GTS, but not unmanageable. Genuine dealerships are carrying these here in the States.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I've actually had a test run on the 300 version. Nice handling, swift acceleration and plenty of torque all over the rev range. It is after all, the Vespa GTS motor with some mods. I will say the fit and finish was superb and probably better than even our Vespas. Quality control is to a very high standard.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Some are also beginning to be seen in Italy, I saw one on the freeway about a week ago (but it went in the right lane ... ) but I don't know what engine displacement.
I think that thanks to the "Lambretta-like" look it can have admirers.
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I've seen the 150 up close and personal here in the US. It seemed well put together, the big downside is no storage under the seat. That's where the gas tank is.

I was able to sit on one and the seat height is a bit taller in the 150 than my GTS, but not unmanageable. Genuine dealerships are carrying these here in the States.
The genuine scooter website only shows the GT150 as being available. I like the idea of aircooled but would want to check out the 180 of course. I haven't swallowed the kool aid for water cooled bigger displacement scooters yet. I wrench on everything myself so I try to not invite complexity and I don't mind the minor maintenance to keep them tip top. Plus my air cooled toys can sit for many months and they always seem ready to go for me when I come back to them.

If I were to come around to water cooled...

For the big RA, I am a huge fan of the thin leg shield but not sure of the air intake scoop below. I would need to see that GP300 in person to see if that scoop bothers me. Meaning if it's extra noticeable or if it's hard to keep clean. If it looks good caked in road grime that's fine but some stuff doesn't to my eye. We have a lot of sandy roads and salt in the air and on the roads so the underside of things is a consideration.

Anyone know if there is a plan to distribute the full range in the US?
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
I love the look! However, like CrazyCarl, the lack of under seat storage is a problem for me. I also like cruiser motorcycles, but they, too, lack good storage. Part of what appeals to me about a scooter, especially with a top case added, is that between under seat, top case and front rack I can carry an obnoxiously large amount of crap.

Eric
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Jayhawk wrote:
I love the look! However, like CrazyCarl, the lack of under seat storage is a problem for me. I also like cruiser motorcycles, but they, too, lack good storage. Part of what appeals to me about a scooter, especially with a top case added, is that between under seat, top case and front rack I can carry an obnoxiously large amount of crap.

Eric
Yes ... passive storage space is an added value, especially for scooters that can carry a full-face helmet under the saddle. Other small places to store items is better.
Adding a helmet trunk (or other things) behind it makes a scooter a very comfortable object.
The Vespa is the only one (perhaps) that can also have a front luggage rack, which transforms it into a mule.
The various modern Lambrettas I don't know ... certainly not having space under the saddle is a negative fact.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I've seen them around SF too. They're neat looking machines.

The little bit of history I've heard is that a British team was inspired to design a modern moto with the lines of a classic Lambretta. They produced the design as Scomadi and hired an ODM to produce them. The ODM knocked off their design, cutting the designers out and selling the resulting wheels as Royal Alloy.

That story makes me uncomfortable with the brand.
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
There was a lawsuit, it was settled. Scomadi moved their designs and production to Thailand and Hanway continues to produce Royal Alloy using licensed older Piaggio engines in their larger scooters.
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I've seen them around SF too. They're neat looking machines.

The little bit of history I've heard is that a British team was inspired to design a modern moto with the lines of a classic Lambretta. They produced the design as Scomadi and hired an ODM to produce them. The ODM knocked off their design, cutting the designers out and selling the resulting wheels as Royal Alloy.

That story makes me uncomfortable with the brand.
You've only seen the 150's yes?
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Kevin T wrote:
You've only seen the 150's yes?
Probably. Haven't looked that closely.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Lack of underseat storage is not a deal breaker for me. In fact the extra space is used for a bigger fuel tank than our Vespas. So you have enhanced range. Plenty of places to add storage and plenty of accessories too!

mayorofnow, no need to feel uncomfortable with the brand. Litigation was all settles a while ago and everyone is happy it seems. The quality and reliability of the brand is exceptional. We've had them over here for some years now.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Betrayal!
Better an authentic Yamaha (or other) today than a similar Lambretta tomorrow.
Hihihi....
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Betrayal!
Hihihi....
I was wondering how long it would take the Chinese, if ever, to build a metal bodied scooter. Since only one company in the entire world does it I never thought I would see it happen. What I find disappointing is that the engine is a garden variety GY6 150cc. Would it have killed them to stick a four valve head on it. The Kymco Like, and before that the Movie, not to mention the Adly Thunderbike 150 had four valves on a GY6.

Otherwise everyone borrows. The Aprilia and Ducati V-4s could be said to be copies of the various versions Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha built. If Royal Alloy furthers the growth of scooters in America then it's not a bad thing.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
I have not seen one in person. thought this video was nice

@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
I rolled along next to someone on a RA while in Brooklyn yesterday: looked and sounded like a solid ride, though the instrumentation left me nonplussed. Owner seemed happy enough.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Attila wrote:
Betrayal!
Hihihi....
I was wondering how long it would take the Chinese, if ever, to build a metal bodied scooter. Since only one company in the entire world does it I never thought I would see it happen. What I find disappointing is that the engine is a garden variety GY6 150cc. Would it have killed them to stick a four valve head on it. The Kymco Like, and before that the Movie, not to mention the Adly Thunderbike 150 had four valves on a GY6.

Otherwise everyone borrows. The Aprilia and Ducati V-4s could be said to be copies of the various versions Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha built. If Royal Alloy furthers the growth of scooters in America then it's not a bad thing.
The use of "old Piaggio engines" in my opinion ennobles them, the engines are not old according to a generic definition but only obsolete.
Indeed, perhaps they were better than the subsequent series but the market made a run for the (useless?) increase in displacement, then the anti-pollution regulations were also introduced and here the previous versions are thrown into a dark corner ... a waste.
We are worse than a consumer society, we are the society that unnecessarily produces waste!
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
UTC quote
My club had an event at our local Genuine/Royal Alloy dealer this weekend, so I was able to refresh my personal exposure to the RA 150.

Cosmetically and aesthetically, I like it a lot. Both the blue and the grey color schemes look very nice. The styling is very nice

The seat is wide and comfortable, but it pushed my short legs to their limits. Also, the footboards are wider than my GTS, another hurdle for short legs.

Conversely, I found the riding position cramped. I'm not a big person (5'8", 185 lbs), and my knees were up very high, nearly to the handlebars.

The glove box is nicely sized, not quite as big as the one on my P200. But the gas tank occupies the space under the seat, so no storage there.

Overall - seems to be a quality scoot that is well made. I won't be buying one, but I hope they do well with these.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
The use of "old Piaggio engines" in my opinion ennobles them, the engines are not old according to a generic definition but only obsolete.
Indeed, perhaps they were better than the subsequent series but the market made a run for the (useless?) increase in displacement, then the anti-pollution regulations were also introduced and here the previous versions are thrown into a dark corner ... a waste.
Well, to call the pre-HPE Vespa GTS engine obsolete might be pushing it a bit. Most of us who ride a GTS, ride one with a pre-HPE engine. Does that make us all "obsolete"?
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Attila wrote:
Well, to call the pre-HPE Vespa GTS engine obsolete might be pushing it a bit. Most of us who ride a GTS, ride one with a pre-HPE engine. Does that make us all "obsolete"?
... forgive me, it was an ironic comment to point out that technological absolutism is not necessarily the domain of the last generations of products.
An example was the Vespa PX series with the disc brake in front.
@paul_blknblu avatar
UTC

Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@paul_blknblu avatar
'2017 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
I test rode a 300cc, I found it very responsive, nice & quick. Price here in Western Australia is a bit less than Vespa. I wouldn't pass on it if I couldn't spend extra on the Vespa.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
paul blknblu wrote:
I test rode a 300cc, I found it very responsive, nice & quick. Price here in Western Australia is a bit less than Vespa. I wouldn't pass on it if I couldn't spend extra on the Vespa.
The problem would be to know if the spare parts could still be found in ten years, the value of the vehicle also depends on this.
Test to do: wondering if Royal Alloy has a general spare parts warehouse on every continent wondering if spare parts for the first RA models are still available before you buy it is important.
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
paul blknblu wrote:
The problem would be to know if the spare parts could still be found in ten years, the value of the vehicle also depends on this.
Test to do: wondering if Royal Alloy has a general spare parts warehouse on every continent wondering if spare parts for the first RA models are still available before you buy it is important.
I would think the issue would be minimal if they keep using motors from someone else as they have so far. Engines are the biggest hindrance to motion if they aren't working. So far they are using Piaggio and GY6 engines. That gives you increased coverage as Piaggio dealers may have the parts as well as the importers. As I've noted before GY6 parts are easily available here from many sources.
@jayhawk avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jayhawk avatar
UTC quote
As a former owner of a 2008 Lambretta Due, parts, even non-engine, can be a PIA to obtain. While easily obtained engine parts are the most important, waiting on parts from Taiwan or China can sideline your bike for weeks on end.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Jayhawk wrote:
As a former owner of a 2008 Lambretta Due, parts, even non-engine, can be a PIA to obtain. While easily obtained engine parts are the most important, waiting on parts from Taiwan or China can sideline your bike for weeks on end.
Lambretta is a completely different beast to Royal Alloy. Royal Alloy over here in the UK is well represented for sales and parts. In fact, all Chinese bikes are easy to get parts for over here. We don't get the unknown poorer quality brands you guys get and what we do get is very good high quality bikes or scooters. China is about to take over the world for just about everything in the next decade, and that particularly applies to bikes and electric vehicles. Indeed their economy will be the biggest in the world in less than 8 years and well ahead of the USA. I find that a bit scary!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
It's not scary, it's inhuman!
Vade Retro .
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Jayhawk wrote:
The Lambretta Due was a rebadged Adly from Taiwan. In 2008 and 2009 scooters were hot and everyone wanted in.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Royal Allow
My local dealer Scooterville, Minneapolis, had this machine on their show
room floor. It did look pretty good. I admit, I am smitten with the Vespa
Brand and would stick with their classic appeal.

Genuine really seems to churn up the scooter market with changing products.
I believe their Buddy 50cc is still the top scooter sold for the around town urban market here.

Finally, my scooter groups first ride this Saturday - 81 degrees and Sunny with
10 mph winds here in Frost Bite Falls. However, back to 50 degrees in two more days.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
UTC quote
I only have dark-side shifties. I test rode one of the these RA 150s at Motorsports in San Diego.

1. The scoot was a higher sit...im 6' and was not flat footed on it.

2. Its pretty heavy. I didn't take it too far and didn't really put it through its paces so cant comment on handling.

3. the 150 is anemic, definitely needs a stronger motor.

4. looks pretty cool. Reliability of a modern ride would lead me to get one of these, in the more powerful model, if I were to consider a modern.

It would never replace the vintage scoots, but would complement the herd.

I have only ridden twist-n-goes twice, so not much else to compare to.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0104s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]