UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Just trying to be helpful. When I click on Forum/Wiki, I get all sorts for weird links. Happens on both my MacBook Pro and iPhone. When I cick on the Wiki tab on my MacBook, I get to the wiki and that seems to be working properly
Can you grab a screen shot? I'm not sure I follow.
@xtine avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125

Hooked
@xtine avatar
Vespa GTS250, PX125
UTC quote
So glad that MV is upgrading to https and a more recent version of PHP! The new server is *noticeably* faster and my 1password has been complaining MV isn't https yet, and now I'll feel better about security on one of my favorite forums now. Good job!
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
xtine wrote:
So glad that MV is upgrading to https and a more recent version of PHP! The new server is *noticeably* faster and my 1password has been complaining MV isn't https yet, and now I'll feel better about security on one of my favorite forums now. Good job!
Thanks. It's been long overdue.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Going to take the new server down for a few minutes, pull a snapshot, and restart it. Be back up shortly.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
...and we're back. Ready for the migration. T-120 minutes.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Just trying to be helpful. When I click on Forum/Wiki, I get all sorts for weird links. Happens on both my MacBook Pro and iPhone. When I cick on the Wiki tab on my MacBook, I get to the wiki and that seems to be working properly
Can you grab a screen shot? I'm not sure I follow.
Image 1: Click on forum button and select MV Wiki
Image 2: What comes up is not the wiki but a random(?) collection of threads

See images and captions below. Miguel
Click on forum button and select MV Wiki
Click on forum button and select MV Wiki
This is what comes up. Its obviously not the Wiki. Clicking directly on the Wiki button does bring up the Wiki. But you can't do that on an iPhone
This is what comes up. Its obviously not the Wiki. Clicking directly on the Wiki button does bring up the Wiki. But you can't do that on an iPhone
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Ah! Okay, I see what you're saying. Thanks. This might fall into "behavior that Jess can no longer remember implementing".

The wiki button up at the top of the page obviously takes you to the Wiki. What you're seeing in the second photo is the forum that's kind of the "back stage", if you will, of the wiki -- a place to discuss each article, and for members to decide what should be said in the wiki article.

I thought that was the correct behavior? I would have to check the old server to see how it behaves.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I would have to check the old server to see how it behaves.
(I will do exactly this tomorrow -- the old server is slowly backing itself up right now before I shut it down for good. I'll fire it up one last time and say goodbye).
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
jess wrote:
I would have to check the old server to see how it behaves.
(I will do exactly this tomorrow -- the old server is slowly backing itself up right now before I shut it down for good. I'll fire it up one last time and say goodbye).
I checked the older version today while both versions were up. The older version was also wrong. Clicking on the Wiki button does work but not on the iPhone in Portrait mode because there's no room for the button on the screen. It works in landscape mode tho.

Thanks. Miguel
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I checked the older version today while both versions were up. The older version was also wrong. Clicking on the Wiki button does work but not on the iPhone in Portrait mode because there's no room for the button on the screen. It works in landscape mode tho.
Ah. Okay. So that makes more sense.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Here's a wicked small detail. The time stamp on each post is an hour behind. I hit the send button on this post at 11:02 PM. Miguel
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Ah! Okay, I see what you're saying. Thanks. This might fall into "behavior that Jess can no longer remember implementing".

The wiki button up at the top of the page obviously takes you to the Wiki. What you're seeing in the second photo is the forum that's kind of the "back stage", if you will, of the wiki -- a place to discuss each article, and for members to decide what should be said in the wiki article.

I thought that was the correct behavior? I would have to check the old server to see how it behaves.
Confirmed - that *is* the correct behaviour. The forum https://modernvespa.com/forum/forum15 is just for discussion of the Wiki - and that is how it has always been.

Edit - I'm pretty certain pasting the link to the forum *used* to present the forum title as a link. Cheating... : Modern Vespa Wiki. Now it just gives the link address. Can anyone confirm/deny?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Here's a wicked small detail. The time stamp on each post is an hour behind. I hit the send button on this post at 11:02 PM. Miguel
I will fix that! Thanks.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Edit - I'm pretty certain pasting the link to the forum *used* to present the forum title as a link. Cheating... : Modern Vespa Wiki. Now it just gives the link address. Can anyone confirm/deny?
It only ever worked for topic links and wiki article links. I think it would be possible to extend the functionality to forum links, but people rarely link to a forum.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
A big thanks to all the people who helped beta-test the new server at the temporary address. The transition went relatively smoothly last night, and that's thanks to your efforts finding bugs and exercising the new hardware.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
jess wrote:
A big thanks to all the people who helped beta-test the new server at the temporary address. The transition went relatively smoothly last night, and that's thanks to your efforts finding bugs and exercising the new hardware.
Well now the hard drive in my "almost new" 14 year old Dell computer! Got some of it working again with a SSD drive. But just for fun I'm blaming it on Jess and the new server for ModernVespa!
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
Well now the hard drive in my "almost new" 14 year old Dell computer! Got some of it working again with a SSD drive. But just for fun I'm blaming it on Jess and the new server for ModernVespa!
As it happens, before I shut down the old server, I downsized the 30gb magnetic storage it was using to a 4gb SSD. It's cheaper to store in a stopped state that way, and I figure I'll keep it around for a month before I delete it.

Needless to say, the new server started with SSD from the get-go.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
Email photos
Jess,
I have not used in a long time but I can not find the email "thingy" on a post to email photos to a thread. Is it gone away or away or am I looking the wrong place?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Re: Email photos
lostboater wrote:
I have not used in a long time but I can not find the email "thingy" on a post to email photos to a thread. Is it gone away or away or am I looking the wrong place?
It is in fact gone. The email was hosted by google, and when I shut that down, I also had to turn off the PostBot. Also, it was overrun with spam.

Sorry.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
On a different note Jess, could you please look into adding a dark theme option for your members.. It's normally a standard option in most Forum software packages...

I notice some other members mentioning this about the eyes strain that you get from the white/grey background, so it would be nice to have the option in the setting to pick a background dark colour...

If you could, turn the option on, and install few extra background colour theme, it would be immensely appreciated...

HERE there are few available...

AcidTech would be my choice...

Burt
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
What time zone is the time set to?
I am two hours ahead (12) of that visible in the post
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
In the past it was set to the pacific time zone. I hit the submit button at exactly 4:28 AM in the Pacific Time Zone.

Miguel
⚠️ Last edited by Miguel on UTC; edited 1 time
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
In the past it was set to the pacific time zone. I hit the submit button at exactly 4:28 AM in the Pacific Time Zone.

Miguel
Looks like it's set to an hour earlier than Pacific Time Zone. I know this was one of the things Jess was going to address at some point.

Miguel
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Surely the time you see is a function of what you set it to be in your profile? Mine is set to GMT-7 hours - correct for PDT. (Why is it GMT and not UTC?)
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Surely the time you see is a function of what you set it to be in your profile? Mine is set to GMT-7 hours - correct for PDT. (Why is it GMT and not UTC?)
Jim is correct. The time you see on posts is a function of your profile. Unfortunately this does not automatically adjust for daylight savings time.

Here's Miguel's post as it shows up for me:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
On a different note Jess, could you please look into adding a dark theme option for your members.. It's normally a standard option in most Forum software packages...
This forum is based on software from 2002. It is completely incompatible with modern phpBB. The theme used here is hard-coded and heavily modified. It will not change until we migrate the entire site to a new forum.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Arcane Technical Detail: one of the side-effects of upgrading to a new server is that I've managed to achieve a longstanding goal in the process: hot-swappable server instances.

Hopefully, nobody noticed that I just swapped out the new server for an even newer server about two minutes ago. The IP address remains the same, but the server behind it changed. There is one tiny clue: at the bottom of every page, next to the stats that show how long it took to render the page, the name of the server instance appears. This one is called "Thing 1".
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Arcane Technical Detail: one of the side-effects of upgrading to a new server is that I've managed to achieve a longstanding goal in the process: hot-swappable server instances.
For those of us not familiar, what's the benefit of this? Allows server maintenance without taking the site offline? Or for data backup? Or something else?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
berto wrote:
jess wrote:
For those of us not familiar, what's the benefit of this? Allows server maintenance without taking the site offline? Or for data backup? Or something else?
Two things: it allows me to update one instance while the other instance is busy serving pages, and it also allows me to run a test version of the server while I'm working on fixes or features. I've always had a test version of the site going, but it was set up differently than the actual site, which always left some uncertainty. Now, the test site and the main site are nominally identical, and I can point the IP address at one or the other.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
jimc wrote:
Jim is correct. The time you see on posts is a function of your profile. Unfortunately this does not automatically adjust for daylight savings time.

Here's Miguel's post as it shows up for me:
OK, now I understand. I changed my profile so it was GMT-7 hours since I'm in the Pacific time zone. As a check, I'm posting this at 12:39 PM Pacific. It works! Thanks

Miguel
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
See: https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2461554#2461554 in the recent cannonball thread.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Hopefully, nobody noticed that I just swapped out the new server for an even newer server about two minutes ago. The IP address remains the same, but the server behind it changed. There is one tiny clue: at the bottom of every page, next to the stats that show how long it took to render the page, the name of the server instance appears. This one is called "Thing 1".
Mine says Thing Two.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It'll bounce back and forth between the two as Jess works on the small matter of programming...
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
Mine says Thing Two.
I swapped it again and nobody even noticed. Well, okay, YOU did.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
It'll bounce back and forth between the two as Jess works on the small matter of programming...
This is essentially correct. One will be "MV Prime" (pointed at by our main IP address) and the other one will be "MV Test". Then when the test server passes muster, I'll switch them and the cycle repeats.

Right now though I have a Thing Zero as my test server, since it doesn't need to have as much capacity and is cheaper to keep running.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Burt37 wrote:
This forum is based on software from 2002. It is completely incompatible with modern phpBB. The theme used here is hard-coded and heavily modified. It will not change until we migrate the entire site to a new forum.
Not to worries... I changed the CSS at my end...
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Burt ... there is that the threatening avatar of Jess on a light background becomes blurred on a dark background .... it loses the "administrator effect" necessary to run the forum.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Nothing out of the ordinary.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Burt ... there is that the threatening avatar of Jess on a light background becomes blurred on a dark background .... it loses the "administrator effect" necessary to run the forum.
Don't know what are you talking about...

What's wrong with your avatar??? Laughing emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Burt37 wrote:
Yeah nah.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0379s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0169s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]