@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
There are some advantages to living in rural OHIO.
I "dented" both the COVID and racial unrest* curfews by a few mins in 2020 on my pre-dawn coffee rides out through town to my distant coffee village. I think they were 10PM>6AM curfews unless travelling to work. I often headed across the city @5:45AM.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The curfews were either county or city imposed, although the State may have been involved on the virus.

Downtown police, now parked & surveilling* the streets, were used to seeing me at that hour - and paid me no further attention as I passed through on my scooter.

All in all, my 5:30AM > 8:30AM scooter rides over the past 16 mos. have been very little affected by world events.

I feel very fortunate that things haven't been worse, and know that many others haven't been so lucky.

O.S.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
My work gave everyone "hall passes" because we are considered essential. During the worst of the pandemic a police officer pulled up next to me at an intersection and said "Trapped working I see." I responded with "Tried to escape but the job sent Dog the Bounty Hunter.". He thought that was funny. Now our state is pretty much back to normal. Roads are clogged with stupid cars again, but driving worse than before!
UTC

Banned
LX50

Banned
LX50
UTC quote
You are such an edgy rebel out there in Dogpatch just breakin' all the rules LOL
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Master of the Low Light Photograph
Oldschooot,

You do marvels with low light photography. Perhaps we get so many great
evening and early morning shots from you because this is when you
are on the road.

Rhythms of Life: By the time it is getting dark, I am into a brandy and cigar (can't drive) and sleep until the sun is up.

Thanks for your great photos.

Bob Copeland
"Just got back from visiting my son in New Orleans - that town is a hoot"
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
American cities enforced a curfew?

San Francisco was the first municipality in the country to issue a shelter-in-place order, but the police here didn't dare try to enforce it. Was effectively an honor system: businesses were closed, but the definition of "essential travel" was broad enough (exercise, food/groceries, caretaking) that you could leave your apartment any time you wanted to, and nobody asked questions.

I'm sad for my friends in places like Ireland and Australia where even biking through the park can be an offense. (I think you get a very small radius from home you're allowed to inhabit; you're out of luck if the park is farther away.)
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Our county in south Texas imposed a lock-down last April: $200 fine if you were out driving for a "non-essential" purpose. Allowed: to/from work, the grocery store, a medical appointment. They literally had checkpoints at the edge of town. Lasted into May. The beaches were closed (the beach is the big draw to this tourist destination). No more than 2 people in a car. No children under 14 allowed in the grocery stores.

It went from that to: restrictions off - go have fun! The first weekend restrictions were eased, more than 70,000 people came to the beach (in a town of approx 2,800 residents). People were supposed to wear masks, observe social distancing, and no groups of more than 5 people. All that was largely ignored, and (of course) the cases here skyrocketed.

July, more restrictions, less stringent. People had large family gatherings, no masks, no distancing. Surprise: the cases continued to rise. Restaurants were supposed to be at no more than 50% capacity - most of them did not comply. Cases continued to rise.

A friend recently said to me: "Masks are bullshit - they do nothing."

I asked him: "If your wife needed surgery right now, would you be OK if her surgeon did not wear a mask?" He stopped speaking to me.

During the height of our lockdown, I rode my Vespa around in our gated community. Exposed to no one. I also rode my bicycle and walked. But, we did not go anywhere in the car, other than to the grocery store.

Truly, a year ago, we knew less about the transmission of the virus than we now know. Did the "lockdown" work? Judging by what we saw (mostly large family gatherings going on all around us), it was largely ignored, so there's no saying.

Curfews? Yeah, we had those, too. The problem wasn't the time people were out, it was the fact that they ignored all the other recommendations.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0104s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0020s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]