Seat sensor not working
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:06 am quote
2008 MP3 400ie, new to me.

Seat sensor has stopped working. Warning light does not come on.

The engine runs, the tilt lock still works, but without the seat sensor, there's always the danger of the tilt lock accidentally releasing with an unintended throttle blip, whether I'm sitting on the seat or not.

I want to check the fuse first, but which one is it? Is it in the main fuse box or the forward one?

Thanks!
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:40 am quote
I don't see a fuse in line with the seat sensor.

My guess is the pigtail to the seat is pinched somewhere.

If you disconnect the seat does the problem go away?

Hooked
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:56 am quote
Parking Control ECU Connector

Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 am quote
Thanks so much!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:24 pm quote
Re: Seat sensor not working
Carolan wrote:
2008 MP3 400ie, new to me.

Seat sensor has stopped working. Warning light does not come on.

The engine runs, the tilt lock still works, but without the seat sensor, there's always the danger of the tilt lock accidentally releasing with an unintended throttle blip, whether I'm sitting on the seat or not.

I want to check the fuse first, but which one is it? Is it in the main fuse box or the forward one?

Thanks!
Hi, I had an issue with it some time ago but it was simple, it may be the connection has been cut between the sensor and the scooter, check the cable connecting the seat to the scooter, once you open the seat, it is near the hinge connecting the seat to the scooter, (sorry if that sounds very basic, but I thought to be clear, no insult intended). this cable is mostly risky as it is easily hit/damaged by lifting/puting things into the scooter etc....
Good luck.
Piaggio MP3 250
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 pm quote
Re: Seat sensor not working
abcdef wrote:
Hi, I had an issue with it some time ago but it was simple, it may be the connection has been cut between the sensor and the scooter, check the cable connecting the seat to the scooter, once you open the seat, it is near the hinge connecting the seat to the scooter, (sorry if that sounds very basic, but I thought to be clear, no insult intended). this cable is mostly risky as it is easily hit/damaged by lifting/puting things into the scooter etc....
Good luck.
Literally fixed mine today with this exact problem. Red 'tilt warning' light was on, even when I was sat on the bike, and I've been 'double clicking' the tilt lock button for ages to unlock tilt due to this. Having not used my MP3 for almost two years, I decide to get it out today to see if it actually still worked, and to fix anything that doesn't.

Upon investigation, I unplugged the seat sensor cable from the seat, then, with the smallest of tugs, the plug attached to the wiring harness came out of it's little rubber tubing, with about an inch of both cables attached. Seems both wires coming to the plug had broken clean through at exactly the same point.

I pulled the little rubber tubing out so as to access the remaining cable, soldered the broken bit back on, and hey-presto, seat sensor is now working again! I couldn't get the rubber tubing back on, but I've just put some heat shrink round it instead. Given how much use the bike gets now, it's unlikely to cause any problems.
MP3 250
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 pm quote
Now to sort out my unlock problem
Since I've had my scoot (MP3 250) The tilt lock needed two clicks of the switch to unlock it. Thanks to this thread I'm now going to see if I can sort it out. I just got it out today to do a service and it's MOT, it started with no problem after 3 months doing nothing, gave it a wash and got ready for the MOT, sitting on the bike ready to go and the tilt lock wouldn't release. It had worked ok 3 or 4 times already in the last hour or so, you can imagine how I felt. Switched off, left it for 10mins and tried again and it was ok. I had nightmares thinking what it might be, and today of all days too.

Question: Should the tilt lock automatically release when you accelerate the bike, like away from the lights etc? Because mine has never done that.
Cheers George
Hooked
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:18 am quote
Yes, it should.

If you can't unlock with a single click while sitting on it, then the seat sensor must not be working.

Or. something got wet while you were washing it. the handlebar switches aren't super high quality.
MP3 250
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:57 am quote
Thank you for your advice, looking under the seat I can see the two wires that go under at the front, they are both parted.
The two wires from the seat are easy to get to but it looks like I'll have to dig the others out, looks like they have dropped back into the body.
After these wires are repaired am I right in thinking the tilt lock should release with the accelerator?
Cheers
George
Hooked
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:34 am quote
Digging them out is a task but it's not awful.

Start at the back.
Tail Piece
Tail Lights
Rear Skirts
Backrest
Grab Rails
Seat
Rear Cowlings
Fuse Panel Covers (by your toes)
Then the center tunnel can be lifted up and rotated forward.
You'll have to fight it around the fuel filler neck, but it will go.

Then you'll have access to repair that wire to the seat.

When you put it back together the wire is supposed to lay in the little cut-out so that it bends at the rubber bendy thing.
MP3 250
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:53 pm quote
pmatulew: May I express my sincere gratitude, you are obviously a wealth of knowledge regarding these machines and generous enough to give your time and knowledge helping other people with their problems, I have ridden my machine for 2 &1/2 years with this 'problem' and until I saw your diagrams I had not the faintest idea what went where or why. Whilst I'm not quite Electrician of the Year 2021, I now have a reasonable
idea how the system works. I'm hoping to have enough time over the weekend to sort it out.
One tiny point: doe's the bike really have be bare bones to get at that wire? That seems a daunting task.
Thank you, George
Hooked
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:55 pm quote
There are "maintenance panels" on either side that can come off. Maybe 3" x 4". Meant for engine adjustments. Guess it depends on how big your hands are and how determined you are.

I can have all the plastic off in 15 minutes and avoid the contortions.

I think you still need to raise the rear of the center tunnel to properly route the seat cable.

MP3 250
Sat May 01, 2021 10:06 am quote
Yeah, looking at it , it looks like the tidiest way of sorting it out. For a MP3 repair novice it just seems a bit OTT for such a small repair. Thank you. George
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.0472s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0282s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]