OP
@sublimaze7 avatar
UTC

VSE, VLA, VSX, V9A, J200

@sublimaze7 avatar
VSE, VLA, VSX, V9A, J200
UTC quote
Anybody running this gearing with a short 4th? Looking for input on good, bad, etc.

Trying to decide between the helical BGM and a straight cut Malossi kit for my 221 MHR build.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I have 23/64 along with a 36T (T5) short 4th in my PX210. I like that the fact that 3rd and 4th are closer together. I'm not impressed with the overall torque and speed of my engine, but it could be the Sito+ that i installed?
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
UTC quote
Re: BGM 23/64 Helical Primary Drive
sublimaze7 wrote:
Anybody running this gearing with a short 4th? Looking for input on good, bad, etc.

Trying to decide between the helical BGM and a straight cut Malossi kit for my 221 MHR build.
What do you think is wrong with the stock 23/65 ratio? 36 tooth 4th can help to close the gear gap but then you'll need a 24 cog to raise 4th back up again.
Depending totally how it's set up, tuned and adjusted an MHR 221 is anything from meh to mind blowing.

WDC, Sito+ wtf?
UTC

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I'm using the Malossi 24/63 straight cut with a 36T 4th. The motor is Pinasco 225 and it pulls the gearing well. The combo of long gearing and shorter 4th is really good, certainly on a setup that is built for torque, rather than peaky power
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
I'm using the Malossi 24/63 straight cut with a 36T 4th. The motor is Pinasco 225 and it pulls the gearing well. The combo of long gearing and shorter 4th is really good, certainly on a setup that is built for torque, rather than peaky power
How would you say this gearing set performs off the line, and down low? I've always liked the 36t 4th cuz you can actually get to 4th LOL, but losing the some off the topend is a bummer. Im thinking along these lines as well, for a torquey touring 225
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
sublimaze7 wrote:

What do you think is wrong with the stock 23/65 ratio? 36 tooth 4th can help to close the gear gap but then you'll need a 24 cog to raise 4th back up again.
Depending totally how it's set up, tuned and adjusted an MHR 221 is anything from meh to mind blowing.

WDC, Sito+ wtf?
The Sito's have worked excellent for me on all my stock 200 engines, so i figured i'd try it on my 210 kit. But i think that might be the thing that's strangling my performance. It feels as though my stock 200 has a higher top speed (as well as a higher RPM threshold) than my 210! My kit it definitely meh.
OP
@sublimaze7 avatar
UTC

VSE, VLA, VSX, V9A, J200

@sublimaze7 avatar
VSE, VLA, VSX, V9A, J200
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
sublimaze7 wrote:

WDC, Sito+ wtf?
I'm running the 221 in VR-ONE cases with V-Force reeds. Factory matched and ported. Smart Carb 28 and BGM Big Box exhaust on the ends. I'm looking for a healthy medium between meh and mind blowing.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
GeekLion wrote:
swa45 wrote:
How would you say this gearing set performs off the line, and down low? I've always liked the 36t 4th cuz you can actually get to 4th LOL, but losing the some off the topend is a bummer. Im thinking along these lines as well, for a torquey touring 225
Really good all through the range (~7200 RPM tops in 4th), and it holds well into the wind and on hills (within reason of course). It's been on a 1200 mile tour with a pillion and luggage, and it performed remarkably well, but it's certainly not for the race track
OP
@sublimaze7 avatar
UTC

VSE, VLA, VSX, V9A, J200

@sublimaze7 avatar
VSE, VLA, VSX, V9A, J200
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
GeekLion wrote:
swa45 wrote:
Really good all through the range (~7200 RPM tops in 4th), and it holds well into the wind and on hills (within reason of course). It's been on a 1200 mile tour with a pillion and luggage, and it performed remarkably well, but it's certainly not for the race track
Nice. Looking for that dependability with slightly higher rev range, not much higher though with the BGM exhaust.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0114s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]