re: attempted theft/updates on securing Vintage bike
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
1969 Sprint!
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:35 pm quote
Itís been a while since I posted anything!

So for the first time ever, someone was in our closed off parking garage and tried to walk off with my bike.

Thank god the steering lock did its job in keeping the thieves from maneuvering the bike out past my car. They just dropped it down and left.

So what have people been doing lately to secure or make stealing their vintage bikes harder specifically if there is no post or anchor to link the bike to? (Without making holes or drilling into the bike)

Doesnít seem to be any updated posts and even previous ones didnít offer much. Thanks in advance.

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, VNX1T, V9B1T
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:58 pm quote
You might be able to get away with installing this into the concrete where you park it.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kryptonite-stronghold-anchor

I use two kryptonite chains to wrap one around the front fender and fork whole chaining it to the other chain that's attached to the tow pull loop on my truck frame.
1966 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:21 am quote
I did kind of the same thing - a d-lock that can go through the front suspension to a chain to a floor thing... at least at home. For my own peace of mind I also had a lojack gps tracker fitted www.lojack.com...

but in the end...
"All things of value are defenseless" - Lucebert
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:45 pm quote
Man that is rough hopefully the Vespa came through ok
Enthusiast
1969 Sprint!
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm quote
I look into the floor lock, I would use the U-lock plus cable when I go out. I just didnít think I needed something for my hated car garage!

The natural patina has kicked in so the minor scuffs are fine, but I think my column lock may be a bit busted but functional.

Any other thoughts out there?
Addicted
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:05 pm quote
introspekt408 wrote:
I look into the floor lock, I would use the U-lock plus cable when I go out. I just didnít think I needed something for my hated car garage!

The natural patina has kicked in so the minor scuffs are fine, but I think my column lock may be a bit busted but functional.

Any other thoughts out there?
The thing is, Vespas are light enuf to pickup by hand and carry away. Even with the steering locked, it can be dragged away into a truck or van real quick. All you can really do is lock it with a cable/ulock, etc, and secure it to something that cannot move; like the floor. Use multiple locks/secure points, so its not a "cut one and run" type situation. Maybe a cable around the motor swing arm, in addition to fork.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:54 am quote
Get an alarm that is really annoying, something loud enough to annoy someone trying to steal it. Even if no one is around make it annoying enough they won't to be around it.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/xena-xx-6-disc-lock-with-alarm
2009 genuine stella
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:36 am quote
This info makes me scared to have deleted my steering lock

but I think I'm going for an alarm though

I should add that my brother and I once lived in an appartment together and shared a zuma. We had someone sharpie the speedo one time so I got a two way alarm and put it on.

It was parked right beneath our 2nd floor apartment window and I'd rush over if I ever heard it go off. A few people messed with it, mostly it appeared to be drunks looking for a place to sit. I heard one curse about it being "loud asf" as he stumbled away.
Enthusiast
1969 Sprint!
Sat May 01, 2021 2:23 pm quote
Still trying to figure this out. Afraid the bandit may come back better prepared to break the column lock.

What about one of these wheel locks? I know a couple of big dudes can pick it up.

Enthusiast
1969 Sprint!
Mon May 03, 2021 11:28 pm quote
The final decision since I do not have a place to chain directly to.

These bikes really donít have a lot of options when it comes to securing them.

I hope this deters any would be thieves!!!

Got this on Amazon.

Enthusiast
1969 Sprint!
Mon May 03, 2021 11:28 pm quote
Underneath...

Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '65 VBB, '66 180SS
Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 am quote
That will certainly be a deterrent but it can still be carried away. How about asking the building owner if you could drill a hole in the wall or floor down in the corner and set an eye-bolt in for a cable or chain ? It would be unobtrusive and cause virtually no damage. Or how about in that hole in the wall ? An abandoned pipe ?
Ossessionato
Tue May 04, 2021 3:06 am quote
Or how about just drill the hole and install the mount point cause they will never notice! Especially if you put that piece of wood trim over the hole 😅
Hooked
PX
Tue May 04, 2021 6:25 am quote
introspekt408 wrote:
Still trying to figure this out. Afraid the bandit may come back better prepared to break the column lock.

What about one of these wheel locks? I know a couple of big dudes can pick it up.
I had my first P200 stolen years back. They snapped the steering lock and still dont know how they did it; assume a good kick somewhere It was stolen in bognor regis on the south coast and the scumbag got to west wales (233 miles) in 6 hours so must have thrashed its arse off. The thief was wanted by police and was making his way to get a ferry back to Ireland. He got caught when he asked a policeman for directions, seeing the toolbox has been pried open and the seat lock cut to get to petrol filler the sharp eyed police officer arrested him when he checked the registration against the police computer. Got the scooter back two weeks later. These scooter thiefs are pure scum.
Enthusiast
1969 Sprint!
Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 pm quote
I could drill but donít have the bits nor drill for that job. I could rent the stuf but I guess I am being a little lazy.
Ossessionato
Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm quote
Then when you move out if you are really that worried about them noticing the hole and hitting you up, just mix up a small cup of cement and fill it in!
Addicted
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 am quote
introspekt408 wrote:
I could drill but donít have the bits nor drill for that job. I could rent the stuf but I guess I am being a little lazy.
nike dat beach
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.0459s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0264s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]