@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Hi everyone, I have a dilemma with my mirror , no matter what I've tried doing in adjustments I can't see behind me, can't see around my body. I have a mirror mounted from under the headset with the mirror screwing into the holder.
Is there a longer mirror stem I can buy to simply screw into the threaded hole or am I looking for maybe another makes mirror?
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Grandson looks as frustrated as I feel.
Grandson looks as frustrated as I feel.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
you need a longer mirror. or you need a bracket that mounts under the headset with a bracket. whatever you've got cooking there looks like janky horseshit.

also, your hands look quite tiny and i'm not sure you can reach the brake pedal.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
you need a longer mirror. or you need a bracket that mounts under the headset with a bracket. whatever you've got cooking there looks like janky horseshit.

also, your hands look quite tiny and i'm not sure you can reach the brake pedal.
Greasy you crack me up.
I had simply put that mirror in a vise to see if I could manipulate it enough.
I'll have to see if maybe I can get a longer stem mirror.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
you have gumption and a full head of hair, so i'll grant you that.

but yeah, look and see if ya go mounts under the bars. if so, you're golden.

-g
@popgunandy avatar
UTC

Hooked
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100

Hooked
@popgunandy avatar
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100
UTC quote
You could go with a legshield mirror..
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Popgunandy wrote:
You could go with a legshield mirror..
Sorry I missed your post, I didn't want to consider a leg shield mirror because I don't want to mess up the fresh paint.
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
A lot of after-market mirrors aren't long enough for our scooters. I wondered for years why I had this problem on my Rally. I finally got new mirrors from Scooterwest I think, or maybe SIP. Big improvement.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
The problem with long ones is that they vibrate like hell and then you can't see anything in them. Just get something that is compact, don't bother using them for seeing things, but rather to keep the pigs off your back (no offense if anyone here happens to be a cop).
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Not the solution you're looking for, but I went as far as, getting a seat that sits lower so I could use my mirrors kind of. I want to get folding leg shield mirrors. Last one I liked at cost more then a 11" rim from sip.
⚠️ Last edited by Christopher_55934 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Not the solution you're looking for, but I went has far as, getting a seat that sits lower so I could use my mirrors kind of. I want to get folding leg shield mirrors. Last one I liked at cost more then a 11" rim from sip.
Right now I just kind of lean to the right, problem isn't so much height.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
nomadinsiam wrote:
The problem with long ones is that they vibrate like hell and then you can't see anything in them. Just get something that is compact, don't bother using them for seeing things, but rather to keep the pigs off your back (no offense if anyone here happens to be a cop).
Yes true vibration is an issue, I just need it for changing lanes . Reminds me of an old bsa I had with ape hangers and longish mirrors, to use the mirror I would just slip my finger up and place on mirror to stop the vibration long enough.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
I would just slip my finger up and place on mirror to stop the vibration long enough.
I do that all the time. It's annoying.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Ride faster so what's behind you doesn't matter. Mirrors get you road legal is all.

But seriously - they are a pain to sort given how much these machines vibrate.
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
How about adding bar end weights?
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
The vibration in mine is far worse at idle than at speed, so I don't find it that bad. At a stop, if I need to look behind me, half the time I just look over my shoulder. But when moving, the mirror is enough to tell me if something as big as a car is coming up alongside, before I do the double check over my shoulder.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Leg shield mirror quality
Hi I've come to the conclusion that I'm ready to commit to a leg shield mirror for my 63 vbb , I look on the Sip site to see examples and first thing I notice is a rather high priced good looking leg shield mirror that perhaps is on a nice hinge. I want a leg shield mirror that I can set it and forget it, I don't want one that's going to come loose as well I don't want one that's going to cause damage to my finish. Is it necessary to have to pay big bucks or are there good ones that fit into my needs ? What do you fine folks have for leg shield that have worked?
Thanks
High priced ?
High priced ?
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Not the solution you're looking for, but I went as far as, getting a seat that sits lower so I could use my mirrors kind of. I want to get folding leg shield mirrors. Last one I liked at cost more then a 11" rim from sip.
Which folding leg shield mirrors were you thinking of?
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Hi Lynn, there is no comparison to the Halcyon Stadium mirrors. The quality is top notch. Unfortunately you do have to pay to play though. They are somewhat affordable if you only buy one. But if you want them on both sides of your legshield, then that comes at a cost.

And as an FYI, i've found that the Halcyons fit MUCH better on a Lammy legshield, than a Vespa legshield. It has to do with the shape of the beading that covers the perimeter of the legshield. The Lammy beading is nice and fat, while the Vespa one is much thinner. It might take a little creativity to get it installed exactly how you want it.

I've still found that stem mount mirrors have a better viewing angle than the legshield mirrors, but i like the looks of the legshield mirrors MUCH better.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
I'm with WhoDat. We just splurged and got Stadium mirrors, just the left, for B-62 and Rocket. They are fantastic, and will fold out of the way when parked.

This guy is super cool and close by, great price, and shipped that day! https://www.moto-amore.com/shop/halcyon-round-legshield-mirror-left-side/
Not a closeup of the mirrors, but they are NICE!
Not a closeup of the mirrors, but they are NICE!
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Hi Lynn, there is no comparison to the Halcyon Stadium mirrors. The quality is top notch. Unfortunately you do have to pay to play though. They are somewhat affordable if you only buy one. But if you want them on both sides of your legshield, then that comes at a cost.

And as an FYI, i've found that the Halcyons fit MUCH better on a Lammy legshield, than a Vespa legshield. It has to do with the shape of the beading that covers the perimeter of the legshield. The Lammy beading is nice and fat, while the Vespa one is much thinner. It might take a little creativity to get it installed exactly how you want it.

I've still found that stem mount mirrors have a better viewing angle than the legshield mirrors, but i like the looks of the legshield mirrors MUCH better.
Thanks whodat what do you mean by stem mount? I don't mind spending for quality but really I don't like the idea of having to jerry rig to make it fit and not come loose.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
I'm with WhoDat. We just splurged and got Stadium mirrors, just the left, for B-62 and Rocket. They are fantastic, and will fold out of the way when parked.

This guy is super cool and close by, great price, and shipped that day! https://www.moto-amore.com/shop/halcyon-round-legshield-mirror-left-side/
Yes I'm just going to need a left , is the leg shield the same as on the vbb , did you have to add anything under the clamp to attach? Any issues of them coming loose once attached? I do like them and maybe the shipping is better to Canada from the U.S. , always getting dinged with brokerage fees from Sip.
@fng avatar
UTC

Hooked
1960 Allstate VNA, 1962 VNB

Hooked
@fng avatar
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
did you have to add anything under the clamp to attach? Any issues of them coming loose once attached? I do like them and maybe the shipping is better to Canada from the U.S. , always getting dinged with brokerage fees from Sip.
I installed one on my VNB. I had to make 2 little spacers for proper fit.
No problems with it coming loose but it does vibrate a bit.
I just put my foot next to it on the legshield when I need to see.

I ordered mine from motoamore in Sacramento, CA. Brokerage fees might be less.
I have heard that brokerage fees are less using USPS or at least it used to be.
Also Scooter Mercato and Scooter Speed will order SIP parts for you
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
FNG wrote:
I installed one on my VNB. I had to make 2 little spacers for proper fit.
No problems with it coming loose but it does vibrate a bit.
I just put my foot next to it on the legshield when I need to see.

I ordered mine from motoamore in Sacramento, CA. Brokerage fees might be less.
I have heard that brokerage fees are less using USPS or at least it used to be.
Also Scooter Mercato and Scooter Speed will order SIP parts for you
Ok I see , so they have a curved concaved clamp , did you make the spacers from brass stock? You should be making those and selling them , they look good.
@fng avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@fng avatar
UTC quote
I made them out of some some scrap wood.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
FNG wrote:
I made them out of some some scrap wood.
Ok now that you say that I can see the wood grain.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
Yes I'm just going to need a left , is the leg shield the same as on the vbb , did you have to add anything under the clamp to attach? Any issues of them coming loose once attached? I do like them and maybe the shipping is better to Canada from the U.S. , always getting dinged with brokerage fees from Sip.
I'm on my 3rd legshield mirror. The spendiest one was heavy as hell. The legshield metal gauge is like a tin can. Any weighty mirror you attach to it will vibrate to a useless level.
So in answer to your previous question, you don't have to spend a lot. The Bumm mirrors at SIP work, won't scratch your new paint... May need tightening/adjusting here and there after first installed.
They don't look as cheap as they are.
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/clamp-on-mirror-bumm-left_61010000?cr=e993ab67-6807-4109-bbed-f6374ebf9f9b&gclid=Cj0KCQjwktKFBhCkARIsAJeDT0hEMFeVPwbwimZXwd7G9FcunJEXFP__7eXOMJRKNFU4rwtn51WfHT8aAqpiEALw_wcB
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
I'm on my 3rd legshield mirror. The spendiest one was heavy as hell. The legshield metal gauge is like a tin can. Any weighty mirror you attach to it will vibrate to a useless level.
So in answer to your previous question, you don't have to spend a lot. The Bumm mirrors at SIP work, won't scratch your new paint... May need tightening/adjusting here and there after first installed.
They don't look as cheap as they are.
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/clamp-on-mirror-bumm-left_61010000?cr=e993ab67-6807-4109-bbed-f6374ebf9f9b&gclid=Cj0KCQjwktKFBhCkARIsAJeDT0hEMFeVPwbwimZXwd7G9FcunJEXFP__7eXOMJRKNFU4rwtn51WfHT8aAqpiEALw_wcB
Sip does say it fits for vbb which is a bonus so must fit the contours. The round mirror itself would be preferred.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
Sip does say it fits for vbb which is a bonus so must fit the contours. The round mirror itself would be preferred.
I hunted enough for a round mirror too. Flip this guy vertical and it does its job.
UTC

Vespa 152l2

Vespa 152l2
UTC quote
Have you tried to heat up you mirror stem and try and straighten it where the curve is, to make it longer?
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S

Addicted
UTC quote
I've got the Stadium mirror on the ET3 and the Bumm mirror on the PK. I went for the Stadium because the Bumm one vibrates loads and gets knocked easily. Now I've got it so i can see behind me rather than the road, I'm more than happy with it, its vibration free and just stays in position. Ive got it mounted right at the bottom of the frame on the start of the floor runner.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
timthemod wrote:
Have you tried to heat up you mirror stem and try and straighten it where the curve is, to make it longer?
No I've only hand it in the vise as you can see , that's not a bad idea though although it may look like shit worse than it does. I've even thought of cutting it and welding in a piece but again it would not look good.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
I've got the Stadium mirror on the ET3 and the Bumm mirror on the PK. I went for the Stadium because the Bumm one vibrates loads and gets knocked easily. Now I've got it so i can see behind me rather than the road, I'm more than happy with it, its vibration free and just stays in position. Ive got it mounted right at the bottom of the frame on the start of the floor runner.
Does the et3 have the same leg shield contours as the vbb ? Did you put it on the leg shield or down at the floor rail where it meets the leg shield?
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
I hunted enough for a round mirror too. Flip this guy vertical and it does its job.
Shows out of stock. What do you mean by flip it vertical?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Quote:
Does the et3 have the same leg shield contours as the vbb ? Did you put it on the leg shield or down at the floor rail where it meets the leg shield?
Not sure if the contour would be the same. I put the mirror right on the end of the floor rail. I did try it on the legshield but the trim was too loose so i couldn't clamp it properly, and I struggled to see anything apart from road.

As an aside, how do i do the Lynnb wrote: when quoting? Mine just says Quote
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
Not sure if the contour would be the same. I put the mirror right on the end of the floor rail. I did try it on the legshield but the trim was too loose so i couldn't clamp it properly, and I struggled to see anything apart from road.

As an aside, how do i do the Lynnb wrote: when quoting? Mine just says Quote
Simply click quote and you should get my message and type after the [/quote]
I added an attachment with what it should look like.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
Simply click quote and you should get my message and type after the
Thanks! Thats how i thought it should work, i seem to have to manually add the ="Lynnb" part to it though. I'll try a different browser and see if its Chrome related.

And with the mirror, its a glance down to look but not an issue. That said, we are normally only going about 30mph.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
Thanks whodat what do you mean by stem mount? I don't mind spending for quality but really I don't like the idea of having to jerry rig to make it fit and not come loose.
Stem mount is what you currently have, the mirror mounts on the stem which then mounts to the bike.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
Stem mount is what you currently have, the mirror mounts on the stem which then mounts to the bike.
Dah , I didn't even realize that.
I'm still looking, after measuring the stem I see it's showing just under 8mm so assuming it's 8mm stem I need to thread in. I've found some that would would but I would need a 8mm to 10mm adapter. I'm still searching for my best options, for fastening to the bike near as I can tell it's only the headset fastener nut/bolt hole I have to use. There are some nice setups with a flat plate but they won't work, back to searching.
OP
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Just realized there is another fastening option, two holes on the underside.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0227s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0133s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]