charging issue
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
Mp3 500
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 pm quote
So my scooter takes about 10 miles of riding and then scooter dies. Then jump started it will work for a few minutes but once idle it will die again.

I read a lot here, it should be either stator or rectifier. So I bought a new battery, new rectifier.

the old stator outputs 16v at idle and 30-40v when rev up.
both the old and new rectifier output strange:
Old one is original (ducati made), outputs 2.5v and drop to 1 or 0 when rev up.
New one is from ebay about 40 bucks, outputs 5.5v, but went to 2, 1, 0 when rev up.

I am confused...

Is the stator output too low ? or both rectifiers are bad?

It used to be running very nice even without using tender at all.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 am quote
Your ebay one is bad. Buy a new one, as second-hand regulators are invariably compromised - why else would they be sold?

If that was a recent purchase, you should be able to send it back as faulty, as long as the original advert proclaimed it as working OK.
Lurker
Mp3 500
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:11 pm quote
All I see thank you! Also I ordered a new stator. Should the stator output at least 20 v up? Because currently only put 16v at idle. Is that normal?
Moderaptor
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:23 pm quote
16V AC at idle is just about OK. I'd live with that, as long as it rose higher when revved. Check that all pairs give the same voltage.
Lurker
Mp3 500
Tue May 04, 2021 10:27 am quote
Interesting enough, this is the third rectifier I bought from either eBay or Amazon, they both the all output less than 1v dc , measured from the 4 pin output connector. I have totally no idea why this is happening. I checked the Stators it outputs on all three pins at 16v AC.

Should I keep buying and try them on?
Moderaptor
Tue May 04, 2021 3:15 pm quote
ysongsta wrote:
Interesting enough, this is the third rectifier I bought from either eBay or Amazon, they both the all output less than 1v dc , measured from the 4 pin output connector.
This is while it's still connected, right? If disconnected I've no idea what the o/p might be - it might have to 'see' the battery volts to work at all.
Quote:
I have totally no idea why this is happening. I checked the Stators it outputs on all three pins at 16v AC.

Should I keep buying and try them on?
Lurker
Mp3 500
Tue May 04, 2021 4:26 pm quote
Praise God!
This time it works.
Measured from the 4pin connector, it gets 15v consistently.

However the battery still measures 12v. So is the wiring from the regulator to the battery bad? I traced the wire, but it's hard to see after it was bundled together with others. With out disassemble more parts, it's hard to see how the rest of the wiring hooked.

Should I just buy a new piece of wire and replace?

Thanks!
Moderaptor
Wed May 05, 2021 7:14 am quote
The output of the regulator goes through a fuse before it gets to the battery. This fuse is the 'hidden fuse' because it's buried in the starter relay. It has been a common problem since the MP3 was first made.

Pictures of what a tiny bit of corrosion, leading to a resistive path, can do to the fuse and its holder: https://wotmeworry.org.uk/fuoco_solenoid/
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0398s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0199s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]