MP3 Brakes AIR
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Member
Piggio MP3 300 LT
Joined: 12 Feb 2021
Posts: 11
Location: Slovenia, Ljubljana
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:55 am quote
Hi guys.

So I changed my rear disc pads. I put it all back together and the left brake si soft? I tried pumping it and leaving it under the pressurer, hoping the air will come on top and out somewhere, this morning nothing. I need help or I will burn this bike.


Thank you
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 131
Location: Sydney
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:05 am quote
Re: MP3 Brakes AIR
Alen232 wrote:
Hi guys.

So I changed my rear disc pads. I put it all back together and the left brake si soft? I tried pumping it and leaving it under the pressurer, hoping the air will come on top and out somewhere, this morning nothing. I need help or I will burn this bike.


Thank you
Hi,
My advice is to take it to a mechanic, I know how to change the brake pads and the fluid, I only do it under the supervision of a mechanic and never do it alone. The reason being is that although I know how to do it but I am not a mechanic and if I do something wrong, I will not know it and my life relies on the brakes, it is not like changing the engine oil etc.... This is my advice.

As to remove the air, you need to release a screw at brake (near the rear wheel) and press the brake leaver that way you will remove the air from the brake, you need to keep doing that couple of times until only oil comes out without air ( like a tap), once that is done, tighten the screw (I am sure someone more qualified will correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck.

Last edited by abcdef on Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 330
Location: Sayre, PA
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:46 am quote
The answer depends on how you changed the brake pads.

If you only replaced the pads and did not open the hydraulic system, then there should be no air. You would have to verify that the new pads were installed correctly so that they are not stuck or binding now. Also check that the caliper pistons were clean and are not now stuck since you pushed them pack in.

If you opened the hydraulic system for whatever reason, then you will need to bleed the air out of the lines. The best way for the MP3 is the reverse bleed. Pick up a 100ml or 150 ml syringe from the animal supply store and use that to push new fluid from the caliper back up toward the master cylinder on the handlebars. Be ready to suck the old out of the top so it doesn't overflow.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6403
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:46 am quote
I made the mistake of bleeding my MP3 500 front brakes at the same time as I changed the pads. First attempt at squeezing the brakes was just moosh. Bled some more. Still moosh.

I decided to go for a ride, slowly, to see if the pads needed to be bedded into the somewhat worn rotors. After a few applications, the brakes got progressively more firm. (I had proper function in the rear brakes so no huge risk there.)

Turns out all that happened was the roughness of the rotors allowed the pads to moosh into them and spring back.
Member
Piggio MP3 300 LT
Joined: 12 Feb 2021
Posts: 11
Location: Slovenia, Ljubljana
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
The answer depends on how you changed the brake pads.

If you only replaced the pads and did not open the hydraulic system, then there should be no air. You would have to verify that the new pads were installed correctly so that they are not stuck or binding now. Also check that the caliper pistons were clean and are not now stuck since you pushed them pack in.

If you opened the hydraulic system for whatever reason, then you will need to bleed the air out of the lines. The best way for the MP3 is the reverse bleed. Pick up a 100ml or 150 ml syringe from the animal supply store and use that to push new fluid from the caliper back up toward the master cylinder on the handlebars. Be ready to suck the old out of the top so it doesn't overflow.
Hi

I did open the hydraulic system to check the oil and oil was in bad condition. After that I tryed bleeding, pressing and leting go the air out on the cliper, without any success.
You can see the oil on the pic I posted.

Anyway thank you all for your replays. I was planing to change the front disc pads, but after this I lost my nerves and I took the mp3 today to a official service Piaggio in Ljubljana.

Alen



Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 330
Location: Sayre, PA
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:38 am quote
Oh yeah! That fluid was very due. Almost looks like motor oil. Should be clear or nearly so.

Bleeding brakes is not difficult but it does take some technique and practice. Can be frustrating for a beginner. Also the plumbing on the MP3 is complicated enough that it is difficult even for those with experience.

If your wallet can stand it, then no harm in taking it to a professional to be sure it is done correctly.
Member
Piggio MP3 300 LT
Joined: 12 Feb 2021
Posts: 11
Location: Slovenia, Ljubljana
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:42 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
Oh yeah! That fluid was very due. Almost looks like motor oil. Should be clear or nearly so.

Bleeding brakes is not difficult but it does take some technique and practice. Can be frustrating for a beginner. Also the plumbing on the MP3 is complicated enough that it is difficult even for those with experience.

If your wallet can stand it, then no harm in taking it to a professional to be sure it is done correctly.
Yeah man, fluid was horrible, A bought the oil just in case I have to change it, good thing I did.
I do almost everything on the car, but mp3 is new to me. I dont think it will be that much expensive it dosnt matter, just as long they fix the bike
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 131
Location: Sydney
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:46 pm quote
Alen232 wrote:
pmatulew wrote:
The answer depends on how you changed the brake pads.

If you only replaced the pads and did not open the hydraulic system, then there should be no air. You would have to verify that the new pads were installed correctly so that they are not stuck or binding now. Also check that the caliper pistons were clean and are not now stuck since you pushed them pack in.

If you opened the hydraulic system for whatever reason, then you will need to bleed the air out of the lines. The best way for the MP3 is the reverse bleed. Pick up a 100ml or 150 ml syringe from the animal supply store and use that to push new fluid from the caliper back up toward the master cylinder on the handlebars. Be ready to suck the old out of the top so it doesn't overflow.
Hi

I did open the hydraulic system to check the oil and oil was in bad condition. After that I tryed bleeding, pressing and leting go the air out on the cliper, without any success.
You can see the oil on the pic I posted.

Anyway thank you all for your replays. I was planing to change the front disc pads, but after this I lost my nerves and I took the mp3 today to a official service Piaggio in Ljubljana.

Alen
That fluid is really bad,,,, I'm not a mechanic and I know that from the photo, what I recommend is that the professional cleans the system before putting the new fluid in, I would ask if that is the process better than the professional to do it.
cheers,
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6403
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:00 pm quote
Alen232 wrote:
pmatulew wrote:
The answer depends on how you changed the brake pads.

If you only replaced the pads and did not open the hydraulic system, then there should be no air. You would have to verify that the new pads were installed correctly so that they are not stuck or binding now. Also check that the caliper pistons were clean and are not now stuck since you pushed them pack in.

If you opened the hydraulic system for whatever reason, then you will need to bleed the air out of the lines. The best way for the MP3 is the reverse bleed. Pick up a 100ml or 150 ml syringe from the animal supply store and use that to push new fluid from the caliper back up toward the master cylinder on the handlebars. Be ready to suck the old out of the top so it doesn't overflow.
Hi

I did open the hydraulic system to check the oil and oil was in bad condition. After that I tryed bleeding, pressing and leting go the air out on the cliper, without any success.
You can see the oil on the pic I posted.

Anyway thank you all for your replays. I was planing to change the front disc pads, but after this I lost my nerves and I took the mp3 today to a official service Piaggio in Ljubljana.

Alen

Yeah, you're due for some new brake fluid...
Member
Piggio MP3 300 LT
Joined: 12 Feb 2021
Posts: 11
Location: Slovenia, Ljubljana
Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 am quote
The bill was 170eur, for replacing front brake pads and getting the air out of the system.... F..... rip offf
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 370
Location: Belgium
Thu May 06, 2021 10:04 am quote
While you may feel that 170Euro was a "rip off", bleeding the brakes on a MP3 is not exactly straightforward as you found out yourself.

If it was, you wouldn't have been in this situation. Besides, having brakes is far more important than counting that 170 Euros while in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Just sayin'

And bleeding the MP3s that have ABS is even more trickier, any air that gets into the ABS pump requires Piaggio diagnostic computer tools and sometimes even a new ABS pump. Something that is waaaay beyond 170 Euro.

Top tip: Pressure bleed only. Do not use a Mity Vac to pull fluid through.
Change the brake fluid in both hydraulic circuits (brakes front+rear & tilt lock) and the coolant at a minimum every 2 years, preferable in the spring before riding season. Use G12 spec (VW/Audi) coolant only.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6403
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Thu May 06, 2021 10:20 am quote
Alen232 wrote:
The bill was 170eur, for replacing front brake pads and getting the air out of the system.... F..... rip offf
Actually $170 Euros seems a pretty good deal to me.
At current conversion to US dollars, that's $205.
A few years ago I paid $60 just for the front pads, which leaves $145 for brake fluid and labor. Two hours at $70/hour to install pads, bleed both sides (AND the rear brake line that you got air into), and test the system seems more than fair.

Don't get me wrong, I installed them myself because I didn't want to pay for it.
I'm cheap that way.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.0429s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0243s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]