OP
UTC

Vespa PX 150 2005

Vespa PX 150 2005
UTC quote
My 2005 PX150 has a delay when pressing the starter button most of the time since I got it. The delay is between 1 and 2 seconds between the time you press the button and the starter engages. I took the starter off and appart, cleaned the starter worm gear and greased it again (all good) and checked the brushes (look good, had some graphite grease in there and I put a drop of spline great on the pinion). I cleaned and grease the starter button (dialectric grease) = all nice NO CHANGE. Checked the clutch switch = OK. I tested the circuit while the starter motor was disconnected, and it sounded like there was no delay between the switch and the relay. NB: When starter connected, I do not hear the relay instantly followed but the delayed starter....so there might be some effect from the load of the starter motor.. but I did not test enough to conclude on this.

The scooter has 12,000km on it, but looks brand new (I think it was really babied by previous owner - friend got some with 1000km or less that looked like crap compared to mine)

I did not check the starter relay nor the anti-relay (as they translate it from Italian = safety unit to avoid starting while running). Not too stressed, but was under the impression that the delay got a bit worse this week.

Any ideas on what would cause this?
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Hmmm...mine has a little bit of delay as well, but not a 2 second delay. I've also bypassed the clutch safety switch on two of them as well. I didn't notice any sort of delay after that mod.
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
UTC quote
sounds like the switch that sits behind the clutch lever and it activated when you pull the clutch in - to allow the circuit to engae. is sticking
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
I rarely use my electric starter, but with an old, low quality, and/or not fully charged battery, I get the delay, as well.
Last month, I put a new, fully charged battery in, and the starter had no delay at all; this has happened for the entire 35 years I have had the scooter. You might want to get your battery load tested for free at any auto parts store.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0083s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]