Are the red MSR fuel bottles for regular motorcycle gas?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Gts 300 notte
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:39 pm quote
Iím looking to get a spare canister for fuel to attach to my GPS for road trips. I see the red msr bottles are popular but all the descriptions for them say they are for camping stoves or kerosene. ?

If they are good to hold spare fuel for Vespas just wondering how long you can keep the fuel in them before you need to use it or empty/refresh it.

Thank you
Hooked
GTS 300 SS BB
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:05 pm quote
Re: Are the red MSR fuel bottles for regular motorcycle gas?
Hummus2 wrote:
Iím looking to get a spare canister for fuel to attach to my GPS for road trips. I see the red msr bottles are popular but all the descriptions for them say they are for camping stoves or kerosene. ?

If they are good to hold spare fuel for Vespas just wondering how long you can keep the fuel in them before you need to use it or empty/refresh it.

Thank you
You can use them for any fuel, but I got to ask you, how big is your GPS, if you can attach to it a fuel bottle??
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:22 pm quote
I have a small quart sized MSR red fuel bottle. It may be a bit larger. Anyways, I use mine on longer rides. It works great, never leaks but open SLOWLY! I fill mine up and if I don't use it I dump it in my car when I get home. I never keep gasoline on hand for longer than a month. I mark my gas can with masking tape and write the fill date. I use the small gas can to fill the MSR bottle.
Hooked
Gts 300 notte
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:10 pm quote
Burt37 wrote:
Hummus2 wrote:

Thank you
You can use them for any fuel, but I got to ask you, how big is your GPS, if you can attach to it a fuel bottle??
oh haha, oops

Last edited by Hummus2 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Gts 300 notte
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:10 pm quote
sc00ter wrote:
I have a small quart sized MSR red fuel bottle. It may be a bit larger. Anyways, I use mine on longer rides. It works great, never leaks but open SLOWLY! I fill mine up and if I don't use it I dump it in my car when I get home. I never keep gasoline on hand for longer than a month. I mark my gas can with masking tape and write the fill date. I use the small gas can to fill the MSR bottle.
Ah beauty thank you.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:26 pm quote
Unless you are traveling somewhere that has no gas stations, you donít need spare gas.

Especially when you have a GPS that tells you where to find the nearest station.

Most people fill up when they get below a half tank, so you should be good with the scooterís tank.
'06 GTS 250; '18 GTS 300
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 pm quote
Out west, have fuel. I've been nearly burned by expecting a town to have gas and it either 1) has none or 2) closed at some inopportune day or time. Not like the East, there's real space out here.
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:36 pm quote
A friend and I rode our Buddy 125's 100 miles for a ride (5 and Dime). My Buddy was my wifes, mint condition and lovingly maintained. His had 40,000 miles and was very tatty (still is). I weigh around 180 pounds and I'm 5'9", frind is 225 and 6'2". I'm scrunched up behind the windscreen chilling and he's sitting bolt upright. I glance down and notice I'm on a quarter tank of gas, and I look back and he starts dropping behind. He ran outta gas! Luckily I had a small siphon hose in my seat bucket. We both BARELY made it into the gas station! That was a fun ride but I now carry the MSR bottle just in case!

And I personally like flying blind sometimes. I can read a paper map as thats what I grew up with. The GPS can sometimes take the fun outta exploring or taking a alternate route from my normal routine.
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:32 am quote
I only use mine for longer rides, for peace of mind. They come in handy when a fellow rider underestimates their range. Once I get home, I empty them into the tank and let them dry out. I never store gas for more than a few days (multi-day ride).

On a side note: I'm looking for red round reflective decals to adhere to the indent at the bottom, and I may put a strip on the sides.

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:49 am quote
voodooskin wrote:
Out west, have fuel. I've been nearly burned by expecting a town to have gas and it either 1) has none or 2) closed at some inopportune day or time. Not like the East, there's real space out here.
Oregon's no joke.

I luckily happened upon the gas station in Prospect on my way to Crater Lake. (It's off the highway.) Spent the day at the lake and came off the mountain at sunset. Lots of stuff was closed for coronavirus, so the nearest hotel was in K Falls. I had Google in my helmet routing me along the Volcanic Scenic Byway. Rode through a tiny town that had a pickup truck parked at a gas station - couldn't tell if it was abandoned or just closed for the night. Took the turn Google told me to and rode out into oblivion under the night sky, with no idea how far away the hotel was, nor if I had enough gas to get there. Peeled myself off the seat when I pulled into the hotel driveway. The Vespa's fuel light had just come on. As for me personally, I had been below empty for miles.
Vespa Elettrica
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:43 pm quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I only use mine for longer rides, for peace of mind. They come in handy when a fellow rider underestimates their range. Once I get home, I empty them into the tank and let them dry out. I never store gas for more than a few days (multi-day ride).

On a side note: I'm looking for red round reflective decals to adhere to the indent at the bottom, and I may put a strip on the sides.
They look like missiles! Well done. What did you mount them with?
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:46 pm quote
shc wrote:
Guzzi Gal wrote:

They look like missiles! Well done. What did you mount them with?
HA, Gigi is a dangerous vixen of a Vespa!

This is what my husband found to mount them. Inexpensive and they work well. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zefal-Pulse-Expandable-Water-Bottle-Bike-Cage-Universal-Mounting-Black/410582901
Addicted
BV 350
Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am quote
Do they
Do they come in white or silver?

Midsummer here, in the sun, that red would get hot enough to boil the gas, nearly. Especially if it had ethanol in it. So I'd be real careful opening them.

Was it me, I'd be tempted to stop as soon as the main tank was down far enough and empty them into the tank. That way the gas would be out of harm's way, it'd get burned up every time, and the spare gas would always be fresh.
Molto Verboso
Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 pm quote
Re: Do they
Jimding wrote:
Do they come in white or silver?

Midsummer here, in the sun, that red would get hot enough to boil the gas, nearly. Especially if it had ethanol in it. So I'd be real careful opening them.

Was it me, I'd be tempted to stop as soon as the main tank was down far enough and empty them into the tank. That way the gas would be out of harm's way, it'd get burned up every time, and the spare gas would always be fresh.
I think red is the required color. In Phoenix, 115 is common and we haven't had any issues. Fill them only to the fill line to allow for expansion and you should be fine.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0416s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0231s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]