OP
@guido avatar
UTC

2002 ET2 50

@guido avatar
2002 ET2 50
UTC quote
Greetings all!

It has been quite a while since I last posted. After three rebuilds, I finally got fed up with rebuilding my carburetor on my 2003 Vespa ET2 2 cycle. It now has a new carburetor which took 3 months to get from Italy, also a new throttle cable and battery. Now I need to buy oil for it.

My Questions:
The scooter is rarely driven having only 345 miles since I bought new in 2003. The oil in it is from the original quart of Vespa Hi-Scooter 2 Tech Selenia Moto Rider oil. So, it starts right up and runs fine however, is there a way or (do you recommend) I siphon out the oil in the tank (its fairly full) and replace with either fresh oil or can I add?

I ask because Vespa no longer sells this oil and I want to know which brand to buy. I have searched several websites but no one has actually identified exactly. I only want to buy a couple of quarts, not a gallon.

The local motorsports shop that sells Vespa, recommended AMSOIL Full Synthetic 2 Stroke Interceptor. Granted, this was the guy behind the counter and not the service technician.

I would appreciate all of your recommendations.

Thank you!

Guido
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
If the oil is 8 years old then it might be worth getting most out and topping up with new .
I would use a large syringe with a length of clear pipe on end .

Any full synthetic 2-stroke oil for motorcycles / scooters will be fine .
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Three months to get a carb? Was it a weber?

As far as oil goes, any oil that is for a motorcycle or scooter with an oil injection system is fine, but the new synthetic oils are better. Malossi makes some of the best oils out there. Their Top Racing two stroke oil is comparable to the top Motul, and will improve power output in a two stroke engine. Their racing and sport oils are both excellent as well. Amsoil is a pretty good oil too, as are the Honda and Yamaha two stroke oils.
Oil with a lawnmower or weedwacker on the bottle, or sold in tiny bottles usually isn't a good choice. Marine oil has some additives that aren't perfect for your scooter, but will do in a pinch. The problem with the cheaper oils is that they don't burn as cleanly, and will gradually fill the exhaust port with carbon, as I found out when I first started and was convinced all two stroke oils were basically the same.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
What he says /\ /\.

It does illustrate the often very big differences in oils of every kind, 2 or 4 stroke types.

Enjoy your bike!
@bob_cowley avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250, P200E

Addicted
@bob_cowley avatar
GTS250, P200E
UTC quote
Beware certain racing oils
The AMSOIL Interceptor will be fine. Please be aware that certain synthetic two stroke racing oils do not have anti-corrosion properties, which are very much needed during the off season. Read the label first.

Cheers,
Bob
UTC

Enthusiast
ET2 50

Enthusiast
ET2 50
UTC quote
super-fly wrote:
If the oil is 8 years old then it might be worth getting most out and topping up with new .
I would use a large syringe with a length of clear pipe on end .

Any full synthetic 2-stroke oil for motorcycles / scooters will be fine .
2nd all this. I was given the same ride last year, I'm using Motul 104034 710 Synthetic Premix Oil FWIW. No complaints.

Also FWIW, I've been replacing old rubber stuff. New Michelin City Grips made it feel totally different on the road. I feel much better about on-road reliability having new CVT and oil pump belts.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0109s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0052s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]