OP
@progetto_300 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTS 300 SUPER
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1524
Location: Belgium
 
Molto Verboso
@progetto_300 avatar
2010 GTS 300 SUPER
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1524
Location: Belgium
UTC quote
Question fot the Apple & Vespa lovers :

Can we use an Apple Airtag as a tracking device for the Vespa in case of theft?
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
 
Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
UTC quote
I don't see why not. Just pop one in your glove box!
@fishfingers avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e
Joined: UTC
Posts: 147
Location: Portland usa
 
Hooked
@fishfingers avatar
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e
Joined: UTC
Posts: 147
Location: Portland usa
UTC quote
They use Bluetooth and have a range of 100 meters. So, no.
UTC

Member
GTS 300 Super HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
 
Member
GTS 300 Super HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
UTC quote
Actually, my understanding is they seurely use the whole ecosystem of iPhones and ipads on the Find My system so this may actually work.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
They have an anti stalk feature where you can see where one you don't own is travelling with you. Because creepy people are creepy.



I don't know how this works on the bus.
UTC

Member
GTS 300 Super HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
 
Member
GTS 300 Super HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
UTC quote
It only alerts you if the tag is separated from its owner. So if you're in the bus or travelling with people, no alert.
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1013
Location: North Coast - Rural
 
Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1013
Location: North Coast - Rural
UTC quote
drsamehhanna wrote:
Actually, my understanding is they seurely use the whole ecosystem of iPhones and ipads on the Find My system so this may actually work.
I had not thought about this, but, it really would work with anything, valuable or not. I looked it up on Apple's website. I am on board!
Apple Airtag
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
fishFingers wrote:
They use Bluetooth and have a range of 100 meters. So, no.
Actually DrSama above is correct. Every iPhone, iPad and Mac computers will be on the continuous lookout for airtags. quoting from Apple's site
Quote:
When youʼve left something far behind, like at the beach or the gym, the Find My network - hundreds of millions of iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices around the world - helps track down your AirTag. And itʼs designed to protect your privacy every step of the way.

Just like your other Apple devices, AirTag can be put into Lost Mode. Then, when it's detected by a device in the network, you'll automatically get a notification. You can also set it so someone can get your contact info by tapping your AirTag with an NFC-capable smartphone - that's the same technology that lets people pay for things with their phones.
One issue about putting it in the glove box is that Bluetooth is a radio signal and the metal body will reduce its useful range. I hope someone will do an experiment on that when they get one and report back on that range using Apple "Find My" app. (measure from 4-8 angles around the scooter, backing up each time to determine the maximum distance it reliable detects the AirTag at that angle). Might be good to put it under the seat and see how that works out too.

I have purchased an airtag to try out but I'm going to attach it to my key. But I think it might be a GREAT idea to hide one buried in the bike for those riders who leave their bike in high scooter-theft zones, e.g. London.

Best
Miguel
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 377
Location: Honolulu
 
Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 377
Location: Honolulu
UTC quote
I am thinking these things have come a long way. I got a tile a number of years ago when it was a new thing and we thought we could put it on our sons bicycle to protect it and to maybe see where he went. It was a fail because the early tile we had only worked with our home network so we could see it for about one house away and then...nothing! lol
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
 
Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
fishFingers wrote:
They use Bluetooth and have a range of 100 meters. So, no.
Actually DrSama above is correct. Every iPhone, iPad and Mac computers will be on the continuous lookout for airtags. quoting from Apple's site
Quote:
When youʼve left something far behind, like at the beach or the gym, the Find My network - hundreds of millions of iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices around the world - helps track down your AirTag. And itʼs designed to protect your privacy every step of the way.

Just like your other Apple devices, AirTag can be put into Lost Mode. Then, when it's detected by a device in the network, you'll automatically get a notification. You can also set it so someone can get your contact info by tapping your AirTag with an NFC-capable smartphone - that's the same technology that lets people pay for things with their phones.
One issue about putting it in the glove box is that Bluetooth is a radio signal and the metal body will reduce its useful range. I hope someone will do an experiment on that when they get one and report back on that range using Apple "Find My" app. (measure from 4-8 angles around the scooter, backing up each time to determine the maximum distance it reliable detects the AirTag at that angle). Might be good to put it under the seat and see how that works out too.

I have purchased an airtag to try out but I'm going to attach it to my key. But I think it might be a GREAT idea to hide one buried in the bike for those riders who leave their bike in high scooter-theft zones, e.g. London.

Best
Miguel
Yeh, good point. We need to figure out the practical signal range being enclosed but I think it will still be usable.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1660
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
 
Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1660
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
UTC quote
If the bike thief has an iphone it should work fine!!
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
If the bike thief has an steals your iphone it should work fine!!
Always leave your phone in the glovebox then?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
Miguel wrote:
fishFingers wrote:
They use Bluetooth and have a range of 100 meters. So, no.
Actually DrSama above is correct. Every iPhone, iPad and Mac computers will be on the continuous lookout for airtags. quoting from Apple's site
Quote:
When youʼve left something far behind, like at the beach or the gym, the Find My network - hundreds of millions of iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices around the world - helps track down your AirTag. And itʼs designed to protect your privacy every step of the way.

Just like your other Apple devices, AirTag can be put into Lost Mode. Then, when it's detected by a device in the network, you'll automatically get a notification. You can also set it so someone can get your contact info by tapping your AirTag with an NFC-capable smartphone - that's the same technology that lets people pay for things with their phones.
One issue about putting it in the glove box is that Bluetooth is a radio signal and the metal body will reduce its useful range. I hope someone will do an experiment on that when they get one and report back on that range using Apple "Find My" app. (measure from 4-8 angles around the scooter, backing up each time to determine the maximum distance it reliable detects the AirTag at that angle). Might be good to put it under the seat and see how that works out too.

I have purchased an airtag to try out but I'm going to attach it to my key. But I think it might be a GREAT idea to hide one buried in the bike for those riders who leave their bike in high scooter-theft zones, e.g. London.

Best
Miguel
Yeh, good point. We need to figure out the practical signal range being enclosed but I think it will still be usable.
I think it will be useful too almost independent of the range because even if the metal body blocks the signal out the side of the bike, some of the signal will radiate out the seat. Maybe the best place to attach it is to the underside of the seat. Just thinking out loud.

Miguel
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I think it will be useful too almost independent of the range because even if the metal body blocks the signal out the side of the bike, some of the signal will radiate out the seat. Maybe the best place to attach it is to the underside of the seat. Just thinking out loud.

Miguel
Yeah, I've used trackers before and that is where I put them on a Vespa. Mind you the Apple solution is better than what I've tried. My concern always with these is battery longevity but it might be better with this solution.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Miguel wrote:
I think it will be useful too almost independent of the range because even if the metal body blocks the signal out the side of the bike, some of the signal will radiate out the seat. Maybe the best place to attach it is to the underside of the seat. Just thinking out loud.

Miguel
Yeah, I've used trackers before and that is where I put them on a Vespa. Mind you the Apple solution is better than what I've tried. My concern always with these is battery longevity but it might be better with this solution.
Harbinger,
Nice to see you as always. I hope you recovering well from the off you had a month or so ago.

Apple says batteries should last a year or so. It uses a CR2032 cheap watch battery.

Miguel
UTC

Enthusiast
ET2 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 71
Location: ATL
 
Enthusiast
ET2 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 71
Location: ATL
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
My concern always with these is battery longevity but it might be better with this solution.
They're claiming a year IIRC.

And I am. From here:

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

Long live the battery.
AirTag is designed to keep going more than a year on a standard battery you can easily replace. And your iPhone lets you know when itʼs time to pop in a new one.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8508
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
JimR_ATL wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
My concern always with these is battery longevity but it might be better with this solution.
They're claiming a year IIRC.

And I am. From here:

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

Long live the battery.
AirTag is designed to keep going more than a year on a standard battery you can easily replace. And your iPhone lets you know when itʼs time to pop in a new one.
Funny, you'd think I'd have dug in to this considering what I do for a living but I really haven't. The M chips are my biggest concern. Thanks guys and good to know it's a cheap watch battery. I watched the Apple presentation but kinda skimmed over that.
Miguel wrote:
Harbinger,
Nice to see you as always. I hope you recovering well from the off you had a month or so ago.

Apple says batteries should last a year or so. It uses a CR2032 cheap watch battery.

Miguel
Also thanks Miguel for asking. I'm coming along and there is some good and some bad when it comes to the injuries. I'll post an update soon but at least I'm cleared for the Ural so can get back out on a bike. Mind you nowhere to really go as we are in a hard lockdown due to Covid-19 plus our shortage of vaccines.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
These will end up on a lot of Kittys.

People will be horrified at how far they travel.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
 
Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
UTC quote
Mine arrived today so I will stick it in my new bike and hopefully won't need to locate it!
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
@Johnnymore. You could do a great service for MV by doing some testing with the AirTag on your GTS300. Put it in the pet carrier and walk around the bike and see how far away you can detect the AirTag. Do this from a few different angles.

You might also try the same thing by taping it to the bottom of the seat rather than just dropping it in the pet carrier. The reason being that the Vespa metal body will attenuate some of the radio signal energy which will decrease the detection range.

You might also try the same experiment with the AirTag in the glove box.

I look forward to your report. I'd do this experiment but I don't have a Vespa at this point.

Will you be putting the AirTag on your Vespa or your new Triumph (Nice bike BTW)?

I also ordered an AirTag. I get it Tu. I intend to attach it to my key. There's not much motorcycle/scooter theft in my area so I'm not worried about that so much. I also orders a small, rubber case to attach it to my keys.

Best
Miguel
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
 
Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
@Johnnymore. You could do a great service for MV by doing some testing with the AirTag on your GTS300. Put it in the pet carrier and walk around the bike and see how far away you can detect the AirTag. Do this from a few different angles.

You might also try the same thing by taping it to the bottom of the seat rather than just dropping it in the pet carrier. The reason being that the Vespa metal body will attenuate some of the radio signal energy which will decrease the detection range.

You might also try the same experiment with the AirTag in the glove box.

I look forward to your report. I'd do this experiment but I don't have a Vespa at this point.

Will you be putting the AirTag on your Vespa or your new Triumph (Nice bike BTW)?

I also ordered an AirTag. I get it Tu. I intend to attach it to my key. There's not much motorcycle/scooter theft in my area so I'm not worried about that so much. I also orders a small, rubber case to attach it to my keys.

Best
Miguel
I put it under the seat in the Triumph. I will try to move it to the GTS to do the test unless someone gets to it before me. It is a bit like Tetris moving my bikes around at the moment!
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1013
Location: North Coast - Rural
 
Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1013
Location: North Coast - Rural
UTC quote
Interesting article, I tracked my kid with Apple's Airtags to test its privacy features. Airtags are explicitly intended for items only; still, Apple has added safeguards to cut down on unwanted tracking. As the roll out of Airtags continues, safeguards are a work in progress, which means continuous updates.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
I got one yesterday. I haven't received my case yet. My intention is to attach it to my motorcycle key.

It took more time to open the box than set it up. Literally, after pealing off the plastic wrapper which automatically connects the battery, a screen pops up on the iPhone. You name the device and you are sorta done. You can enter a bunch of optional info if you want for added features (like contact info if someone finds you AirTag), etc. There's lots of YouTube vids on its operation.

Here's a couple pics in bigger than real-life.

Best
Miguel
3 US quarters (sorry to those unfamiliar with US coins).
3 US quarters (sorry to those unfamiliar with US coins).
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
 
Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1269
Location: London
UTC quote
I have mine under my motorcycle seat and I see it on the map and can get directions to it but I don't get the option to find it like I saw in videos where it guides you with arrows. I guess you need to enable lost mode to start this process. So I have not had a chance to do any signal testing on it.
@mopmop avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 434
Location: The Netherlands
 
Hooked
@mopmop avatar
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 434
Location: The Netherlands
UTC quote
I think it's not going to work, simply because it's protected against unwanted tracking. When it's moving without you around, it will start beeping like a madman. Any not completely wasted thief will instantly know he's being tracked.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Mopmop wrote:
I think it's not going to work, simply because it's protected against unwanted tracking. When it's moving without you around, it will start beeping like a madman. Any not completely wasted thief will instantly know he's being tracked.
Beeping is sporadic. And the speaker is easy to disable.



I just thought of a practical use case for these. Finding the kids at sports events (always a nightmare).
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Where can I get some dummy ones of these to stick to/in random peoples scooters/cars/handbags etc to mess with their heads when they find them?

@cmatts avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 99
Location: Brooklyn/NYC
 
Enthusiast
@cmatts avatar
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 99
Location: Brooklyn/NYC
UTC quote
I'm intrested to hear if people are using these - sounds like at least a few in the chat are.


I was looking into these yesterday. And looking at some other threads re gps bike trackers - if they are useful or not (not looking to restart that debate here).

I wasn't thinking airtags would be good for tracking stolen items but second guessing that idea. especially for the price.

The airtag will work for 3 days next to someone before alerting them there is a tracker that has been following them.

So (if i understand correctly) - the thief would need to be near the bike/air tag for 3 days straight and be carrying an iphone before they are alerted that they are "being followed"

the first 24-48hrs will probaby be most important time to find stolen bike - guessing after that - the thief would have unloaded it or broken it down (finding the airtag) for parts. And if they don't, i'm also guessing they won't be next to the bike in the same way as if someone put an air tag in your bag to track you without your permission - which is what apple is trying to prevent.

after 3 days person - it beeps for 15 seconds?- not constantly
and alerts the person's iphone.

so I'm going to say that for $30 it doesn't seem like a pointless effort combined with other layers of security.

There's a separate complicated conversation to be had about small portable trackers that can tie into most(?)/every iphones which attend to be everywhere in urban areas.

someone asked about battery - apple says 1 year per battery.

re - finding things via the arrows - that is only if you have a iphone w u1 chip? and you are within some close distance that is prob meant for losing keys in your house.
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
I thought I'd update this thread with my experience with the Airtag and the latest iPhone iOS 15 update. The latest update added a new feature which I don't recall being in iOS 14.

I keep an Airtag in a small neoprene pouch that I use to protect my MacBook laptop. I'm always carrying it with me one place or another, virtually every day and I'm always worried about leaving it someplace or losing it.

When I go off for a ride, my MacBook (and Airtag) usually don't go with me. Within 30 seconds of leaving, my phone sends me a notification that the Airtag is no longer in range of my phone and tells me the last address it had communicated with it. I have found this to be a really helpful feature. In iOS14, you had to use the Findmy app to find the Airtag which was much more clumsy.

Miguel
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10364
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Doesn't the MacBook have the same find me functionality?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37344
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37344
Location: Bay Area, California
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
When I go off for a ride, my MacBook (and Airtag) usually don't go with me. Within 30 seconds of leaving, my phone sends me a notification that the Airtag is no longer in range of my phone and tells me the last address it had communicated with it. I have found this to be a really helpful feature. In iOS14, you had to use the Findmy app to find the Airtag which was much more clumsy.
That is in fact a new feature. You can set one (or more) zones that are considered "safe" to leave your things (i.e. home) and it will skip the notification if the items are left within a radius of that location that you set.

I have an airtag in my favorite hat (there's a secret pocket), in my camera bag, and of course on my keys.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37344
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
Joined: UTC
Posts: 37344
Location: Bay Area, California
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Doesn't the MacBook have the same find me functionality?
Not the same, exactly, but it fits into the same Find My framework. Phones can determine their exact position with GPS. Macs usually lack this, but can find their approximate position using known WiFi locations. The problem is that Macs may or may not be able to transmit their location back up to iCloud / Find My if they don't have an internet connection. Phones generally don't have this problem.

AirTags work on an entirely different principle --Bluetooth, using any iPhone in its Bluetooth vicinity to relay its position back up to iCloud.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Doesn't the MacBook have the same find me functionality?
...To add to Jess' comments, the MacBook, and probably all Apple computers, have the Findme feature. It's part of Apple's iCloud service. You can use one device to find any other device that is connected to your iCloud account (for me its my MacBook, Watch, iPhone).

The reason I put the Airtag in the pouch that carries my MacBook is that Findme only works when the Macbook connects to the Internet. And if the MacBook is in sleep mode or powered off, it's not connected so it can't be found with the Findme app. So finding the Airtag is a better approach because it never powers off.

Furthermore, I generally leave my MacBook in one of ~6 places that I consider safe. But sometimes I forget to grab it when I leave, even a safe place, and I need/want it at my next destination. My iPhone "reminds" me that I left the Airtag within about 30 seconds. That feature has come in handy a number of times and is a great time saver for us people that have too much on our minds all the time and "appear" to be forgetful. It's for this feature alone that I've not set up any safe zones. I just let the iPhone remind me that I left my computer and just clear the notification on the phone.

Miguel
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
 
Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
UTC quote
I have one on my GTS. I haven't had much experience with it yet but it seems to work pretty slick. I have checked Find My while away from home and it shows GTS at my home address on a map.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Lebo wrote:
I have one on my GTS. I haven't had much experience with it yet but it seems to work pretty slick. I have checked Find My while away from home and it shows GTS at my home address on a map.
Can you give us a general idea of where you hid it on the bike? Miguel
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
 
Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
UTC quote
Knee Cover. Don't tell anyone. Double stick Velcro.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Lebo wrote:
Knee Cover. Don't tell anyone. Double stick Velcro.
Your secret is safe with me. I won't tell anyone. Similarly, I'll pass along a secret to you: I keep a spare key to my motorcycle between the rubber and metal of the passenger foot peg. You can hardly see it. Please keep it to yourself!

Just curious if you tried putting it in the engine compartment to see if its performance degrades since it would then be mostly surrounded by metal.

Miguel
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
 
Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1156
Location: Herriman, Utah
UTC quote
No. I wanted to keep it away from the engine for that possibly. The back side of left knee cover seems perfect. Remember, don't say a word.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Lebo wrote:
No. I wanted to keep it away from the engine for that possibly. The back side of left knee cover seems perfect. Remember, don't say a word.
Mum's the word mate, no worries.
Miguel
@spirovision avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS super 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 336
Location: Montreal Canada
 
Hooked
@spirovision avatar
GTS super 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 336
Location: Montreal Canada
UTC quote
very interesting thank you for the update !!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0403s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0202s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]