OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hello? It's the new guy, sort of, just checking in...

Yeah, so I'm retiring soon and in prep have sold off a few bikes and other projects. I now find myself with a modest Toy Fund, more space than I've had in years, and will soon have a bunch more free time each week than I'm used to.

"Restoring" an old Vespa is on my list of possible things to do. I found my way here and tried to register. No good. Username taken. And... email already registered? Say what? I entered the username and guessed at what password I may have used and wouldn't you know, nailed it on the first try.

I have no idea when I registered here first but I'm back now. Trying to get an idea of what I want to look for - likely a P series or large frame(?) from the little bit I've researched. I haven't got anything particular in mind, just a general idea of what I'd like. THAT said... a '62 whatever might also be interesting just from a year of birth sort of thing. Like I said, I'm not tied down to anything specific yet.

I'm new to Vespas but have spent the past 30 years playing around with a certain brand of motorcycle, including a few projects. Here are before and after pics of one bike to give an idea I'm not a complete newb to the world of mechanics. I did everything on this except some of the welding to fix a broken boss on the case. It's a '66 Ducati Monza Jr btw - 160cc of romping stomping Italian horespower.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I put "restore" in quotes earlier because I don't really restore things, I rebuild them. I get the whole searching for the correct seat cover with the right grain pattern and color mentality, but it's not what I do. I'm much more into era correct than factory correct. I think it's better to have a bike out and about with the wrong hand grips than it is to have it sitting in the shop awaiting the correct ones for instance. And what is it they say? Once you've seen one perfectly restored '74 750SS, you've seen them all...

And that's my long winded intro. I'll be poking around testing the water. May or may not jump in, time will tell.

EDIT: And now I see I registerd ten years ago. It's kinda coming back to me now, I think I was considering one of the scooters from Viet Nam back then...
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Ducati TS ?
Uhm...175 cc?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
A warm welcome (finally!) to MV.

A good re-build, well done!
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Ducati TS ?
Uhm...175 cc?
160 Monza Jr... with a TS tank.

I had no idea I was building a TS clone when I was doing it. I just liked the tank and then found fenders that looked right and changed the rims to 17". I thought I was onto something, then saw a picture of a TS. Oops. I must have seen one at some point and didn't realize I was copying it!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0141s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]