OP
UTC

GTV 250ie

GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Hi folks,

PX200 12V conversion in DS200

I have recently picked up a very solid rust free Spanish DS200 with Femsa flywheel and coil. I was keen to know if any member has replaced this setup with a standard PX200 12v stator and flywheel. Will a standard 12v CDI setup work OK in these casings?

I know the original Rally 200 crank will need replacing with a PX200 crankshaft with NU205 flywheel bearing and new seals. I will be replacing the wiring loom also - the original is a bit of a mess at present.

Any info most welcome.

Be safe - stay well.

Joe
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
All

Lurker
All
UTC quote
How did you get on with this as I am faced with the same problem and any help would be very much appreciated
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
I'll throw the first rock!! I looked at your pictures and I compared it with other engine cases from various vendors, forums and my own and the main difference that I see is the mounting points for the stator. The one that you have seems to have the "tall square towers", they look like cubes(dices).

If you look at other P200 engines you will find that the stator mounting locations are more flat and flush with the engine case. This also explains why your stator is so different. The flywheel is night and day from what I have on my P200 engines.

I wish you were closer, we could have tried my spare flywheel and stators. Hopefully someone on this forum reach you soon.
OP
UTC

GTV 250ie

GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Hi folks,

Thanks for your queries. I had absolutely no success in reworking the casings and ended up putting another standard PX engine into the final rebuild. I have the old Spanish engine sitting safely in a box for sale. The Scootérist is correct the stator mounting points are completely different and a standard PX / LML 2 stroke stator will not fit.
UTC

Vespa 152l2

Vespa 152l2
UTC quote
A cheaper option perhaps is fitting a right PX crankcase half. Don't know if this would work, but if you can get one cheap it's got to be worth trying.
UTC

50s, sprint 150, pk80

50s, sprint 150, pk80
UTC quote
An adaptive plate done on the lathe can most probably solve that.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
timthemod wrote:
A cheaper option perhaps is fitting a right PX crankcase half. Don't know if this would work, but if you can get one cheap it's got to be worth trying.
Two concerns with that:

1) Non matching cases sometimes don't work (I will post a few links from people that had issues.
2) In theory you could use the left side and buy the right side(stator side) but you still have the problem of the stator and the flywheel. That flywheel looks different, it looks bulky to clear a bulky femsa stator.

At the end of the day you would be out of pocket on a half case, and two parts that probably still wouldn't fit. I think that the OP is doing the correct thing.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
deepinthejungle wrote:
An adaptive plate done on the lathe can most probably solve that.
We would have to send him measurements of a P200E or PX 200 flywheel to gauge it and have a reference. I have a spare stator and flywheel laying around and I can also take some measurements on any of my two vespas with the 200 cc engine cases it it comes to that.

Waiting on the OP.
@corradino avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Motovespa PX200E "iris" elestart. Motovespa 160

Enthusiast
@corradino avatar
Motovespa PX200E "iris" elestart. Motovespa 160
UTC quote
Hello,

As far as I know and readen over the time, conversion is a real difficult job. You own a rare scooter and claimed to be the fastest of the spanish vespas. On the other hand, the weak health of femsa ignition. Hot climate seemed to damage stators and we do have heat in many parts of Spain over the year. Some DS owners move to a new complete PX engine as the cost for the spares are so high. Flywheel + stator may cost more than 600 Eur. DS Stator is the same in motovespa 160 and GT (but not the flywheel), motovespa CL125 (also a very rare model). A new femsa set is impossible to find nowadays. There is only one manufacturer for the DS stator, named Levistronic. Good luck. Glad to see our motovespas travelling far.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Even if someone could machine the cases for a Ducati stator, you would definitely need a PX crank by the looks of it. As Corradino mentioned, your only bet would be a repop by Levistronic. Not cheap though...

https://scooteristfactory.com/producto/stator-levistronic-vespa-200-ds-160-cl/

https://www.recambiosmotosclasicas.es/encendidos-y-bobinas/estator-femsa-vespa-160--ds--cl

https://www.motoscoot.net/estator-levistronic-vespa-160-200ds.html

https://www.recambiomoto.com/Stator-vespa-200-DS-y-160-tipo-Femsa
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
lirb20

Lurker
lirb20
UTC quote
iv converted a ds 200 to 12v ducati cdi was a pain
to do but was fun to do

tiktok -soul_scooters
⚠️ Last edited by soul_scooters on UTC; edited 1 time
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
How was it a pain? We did this for a sick Rally 200, and it seemed pretty easy once we got a few simple parts to make the conversion. This assumes your stator works and only the Femsa CDI has died.

https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2527405#2527405
Test run before permanent wiring & proper CDI mounting bracket made
Test run before permanent wiring & proper CDI mounting bracket made
UTC

Lurker
lirb20

Lurker
lirb20
UTC quote
well as you can see from the photo i have not just chaged the cdi this engine has had a px stator and flywheel / flywheel side caseing and cdi and a crank the rally 200 caseing and femsa are different to a ds 200 so yes it was a pain to find a good 200 flywheel side then get matched to the original ds side and the customer wanted the femsa removeing completely iv done alot off rally 200 conversation and the ds was not the same
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0115s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0042s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]