OP
UTC

Lurker
1970 VBB

Lurker
1970 VBB
UTC quote
Hello and thanks in advance. I am trying to remove the throttle switch support as it has a broken support for the front brake. I have removed the throttle tube quite easily, but the switch support is another matter. It appears to be pressed onto a tube that is pressed into the head. I have tried a moderate amount of heat and a rubber mallet. Any ideas?
Throttle tube coming out
Throttle tube coming out
Switch support
Switch support
Switch support
Switch support
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
I've only successfully removed by cutting a slit - then prying open so it will come off. It's pressed on. Heat is likely the right approach - with a puller of some sort.

But gotta ask - why are you trying to remove it?
If you plan to have it welded up - that can be done with it still on the headset.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
I had to cut mine off as well. Prick to get off. I was replacing with the MMW hydraulic brake version (as I'm guessing CM22 was) and broke it trying to remove with heat and percussive persuasion anyway.
@resistor avatar
UTC

2013 S150; 1961 VBB

@resistor avatar
2013 S150; 1961 VBB
UTC quote
I removed mine with a propane torch. After trying the "put it in the freezer" approach, and various solvents to remove, I used my propane torch that I normally use for plumbing projects. After a few minutes of heat (and being careful not to set the PB Blaster on fire), I was able to easily remove with a pair of channel locks.

You can occasionally find replacements on ebay, but they are Indian reproductions. So you might have to find another from a damaged headset.
OP
UTC

Lurker
1970 VBB

Lurker
1970 VBB
UTC quote
Thanks for the ideas
charlieman22:
I am trying to remove it as it is broken. I do not have the broken piece to weld back on, plus no tig welder. I guess I could use that magical aluminum brazing rods I see on amazon and fill with some scrap..

resistor: I do not think I applied heat for a couple of minutes. I think I had the heat on max for 60 seconds, so maybe I should go a little longer. This is an Indian part on there anyway and I have found one on ebay - although these guys always say contact for fit and then cannot ever answer if it will fit....
OP
UTC

Lurker
1970 VBB

Lurker
1970 VBB
UTC quote
Gave me the confidence
resistor wrote:
I removed mine with a propane torch. After trying the "put it in the freezer" approach, and various solvents to remove, I used my propane torch that I normally use for plumbing projects. After a few minutes of heat (and being careful not to set the PB Blaster on fire), I was able to easily remove with a pair of channel locks.

You can occasionally find replacements on ebay, but they are Indian reproductions. So you might have to find another from a damaged headset.
After knowing you were successful with this procedure, I heated it a bit longer until there was a good amount of smoke from the grease cooking. This was about 1 minute (I counted this time). Then I stick it in a vice and twisted back and forth while pulling the head up. Perfecto!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@resistor avatar
UTC

2013 S150; 1961 VBB

@resistor avatar
2013 S150; 1961 VBB
UTC quote
Good to see you were succesful! Once you see it apart, it becomes more obvious that the press on fitting, combined with 50+ years of grease and gunk, make for a difficult separation. I forgot to mention that even though this fitting is aluminum, it doesn't cool very quickly, so you should wear thick gloves. Don't ask me how I know...
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I am trying to remove it as it is broken. I do not have the broken piece to weld back on, plus no tig welder. I guess I could use that magical aluminum brazing rods I see on amazon and fill with some scrap..
I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been.
The fix for something like that is not to weld the broken piece back on.
Instead - a welder could/would just build up the broken area with new materials - and then you or he would grind it back to the proper shape.
That part can be done by hand with a rotary tool.
It sounds daunting - but its actually a pretty common repair for all sorts of motor bikes that have a break there.

Good info about removal from Resistor tho!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0151s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0078s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]