Case Gasket Question
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
65 VBB2T
Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 am quote
I need your opinion on my new case gasket for a Stella-LML 5 port Reed Valve 2 Stroke engine. Unfortunately, I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have to the old gasket when I split the case since it was destroyed in the process.

I ordered the only set I could find with a gasket that “matched” my case. I have no issue with the other gaskets in the kit.

It appears, and this is where I need your help, the thin narrow section below the carb is to low. If you agree I plan to cut that section of the gasket and move it up and stick it in place with RTV gasket maker.

I have included one picture before I cleaned the case that seems to support the theory that section of the gasket should be moved up.

Should I move it up or not?

Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Sun May 02, 2021 12:28 pm quote
Greetings:

Just because it would become such a threat to the engine if it went lean by sucking air, and such a PITA to do over, I wouldn't risk it. Contact the supplier if you can, or consider carving your own out of gasket paper if not. Do it right or do it over?
Addicted
1974 Rally 200, 1974 Rally 200 with sidecar, Vespacross bike
Sun May 02, 2021 12:37 pm quote
That little piece doesn't matter because the gasket that goes under the reed block covers both halves of the case. In that photo it looks like your missing a huge hunk of the gasket under the reed block thou and that will for sure cause an air leak.
Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Sun May 02, 2021 7:51 pm quote
I agree with Wheelman.
That said - if I just wanted to complete it - and ensure it didnt give me trouble - I would probably take my splices away from the carb and to a nice wide area where I can do a good job with them. Of course - would include some Hondabond or similar top quality RTV, and air leak test of course before start up.

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 am quote
Intriguing but simpler than it looks. That connecting piece of gasket should be cut out. It's just to hold the gasket in one piece for packing. You'll need to take the reed block off and put on a complete gasket to seal the top when the cases are together.
65 VBB2T
Mon May 03, 2021 4:37 pm quote
Mattgyver - thanks for pointing out the missing chunk of the reed block gasket.
I found it on the flywheel half of the case.

I was trying to avoid removing the carb but now realize that was wrong headed. Fortunately, the gasket kit contains the correct reed block to case gasket.

Mattgyver and Jack221 - you are both correct. I reached out to Fabio at Scooterwest, where I got the gasket kit, and he confirmed the narrow strip should be removed during installation.

Thanks for the help
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.0362s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0174s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]