Europe Tour on Vespa 125cc, possible?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
Vespa 125cc
Mon May 03, 2021 3:29 am quote
Hi,
I am originally from Sweden but plan to buy a Vespa in Spain when I move there in a few months. Since I have a flexible job, I am interested in doing a Euro tour on a motorcycle/Vespa and have been researching about this the last few days.

Is a Euro tour possible to do on a Vespa 125cc? What would be the downsides? Looking online I feel like many say that it should be done on a more powerful/larger motorcycle. I normally don't like to drive more than 70-90km/hr, and I like to be able to drive it in the city.

I am thinking; Vespa Sprint 125cc, Vespa GTS Super 125cc, Vespa GTS 125cc Touring, Vespa Primavera 125cc. Which one do you recommend? Both for city driving and touring Europe? I am a girl, 175cm at 60 kg.

The reason for not buying with higher cc is that I don't have the experience, and yet only a car driving license. My current plan would be to buy the motorcycle this year when I get down to Spain in August and do Spain + Portugal. Then during winter spend time in Spain, either get a full license there if possible or in Sweden. And then do a full tour over next spring/summer. One idea would be to upgrade after a year after I get my license, but wonder if there is so much difference between say GTS Super 125cc and GTS Super 300cc or if it is only the speed.

Thankful for any help I can get!
Best,
Karin S.
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Trident 660
Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 am quote
Welcome to the forum.

I have driven in Spain and Portugal but not ridden there. I guess the only issue would be covering the distance between towns/cities. It might be a bit tedious on a 125cc and the extra power of the 300cc can get you out of danger when you need the acceleration. Of course people have done these trips on 50cc bikes also. I personally don't like to ride a 125cc on roads where everyone is going to try and overtake you but some people are more chilled about that.

It certainly sounds a fun trip!
Lurker
Vespa 125cc
Mon May 03, 2021 4:14 am quote
Thanks!! And thanks for the reply!

Yes, I get that.. 70-90km/hr is what I feel comfortable with now at least I have done a 3-week road trip in Bali on a 125cc and was never bothered by it going slow, and was driving a lot on highways sometimes. Although, the roads in Europe might be different, and maybe larger distances between cities.

I lean towards Vespa sprint cc or Vespa GTS/GTS super 125cc? Do you have any preferences? Is the GTS worth the additional 1-2k? The GTS seems a little bit larger so wonder if that is "safer" or if there is not a very big difference.

Thanks!!
Best,
Karin
Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2
Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 am quote
I have done several tours of Spain, Portugal, France and Italy on 125cc as have others here. The 125cc was no problem and even performed well in the mountains. Larger scooters were only ridden by people that were carrying passengers. It is all about what makes you comfortable. Being from Sweden you know that bicycles and scooters are normal on highways than in the US.
Have fun.
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring - Signora D'argento
Mon May 03, 2021 5:07 am quote
Another important consideration is weight. The 125 Sprint is 30 kilos lighter than the 125 GTS and 40 kilos lighter than the 300 GTS. It may not sound much, but when you take into consideration that you will be travelling with a certain amount of luggage, the extra weight can make a huge difference when it comes to mounting and dismounting. I would highly recommend you try and road test both models and see if you are comfortable with the heavier GTS.
Hooked
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 am quote
First get a proper motorcyle license. I rode a lot in Europe with Vespa 150cc=no problem. of course slow in top speed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Mon May 03, 2021 5:59 am quote
In Italy vehicles up to 149 cc cannot enter motorways, ring roads around cities and on some large roads with engine capacity restrictions; there is a reason why Piaggio also produces the 150.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Wed May 05, 2021 7:08 am quote
Atilla makes an important point about some bikes not being allowed on motorways in Italy. Just bear that in mind when making your decision.

There is a lot of difference between the 125cc bikes and the 300cc Vespas. It's about speed, both top speed and acceleration, but importantly it's about pulling power, torque etc. A 300cc bike hardly ever notices a strong headwind, but that same headwind can slow your speed considerably on a 125 bike. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't get a 125. Just consider options carefully. I love 125cc bikes and scooters. They are extremely popular over here in the UK and are great fun to ride. You can actually do anything pretty much with the 125 bikes, it just takes a little longer! The bonus is they cost peanuts to run!

Whatever you decide, keep us all informed if you will. Good luck and have fun!
Addicted
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Wed May 05, 2021 11:42 am quote
Welcome to the forum and hello from NYC.
My suggestion would be to get accustomed to riding on a 125cc on city roads and the occasional highways. Would highly recommend getting your full motorcycle license that doesn't limit you to small cc vehicles only.
You don't need to follow the big is better mindset when it comes to touring etc.
As others have suggested about the additional power what I would say is having a heavier GTS 300 is better on highways when you encounter high winds and or passing semi trucks.
Getting a full motorcycle license will mean you also learn some control and that knowledge is helpful whatever size bike you ride.
Best wishes and share pics of your travels etc. When in Portugal make a trip to the Algarve it is a wonderful ride.
Lurker
Vespa 125cc
Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 am quote
Hi everybody!
Thanks a lot of all the tips so far. I think I will start then with a Vespa Sprint 125cc, see how that feels and how long that gets me.

Then I can take the test, and get something bigger if I want to.

Really appreciate all your help!

Any more tips about touring, places to visit in Europe are more than welcome!
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Thu May 06, 2021 11:14 am quote
Hejsan from Finland!

I've owned a 125 Sprint. It is a very nice scoot -superb for city riding, nice for slower roads and a bit 'light footed' for faster speeds, meaning speeds around 90 km/h and faster.

I've not ridden in Spain with a scooter, but I've ridden there with a motorcycle. Definitely a country where covering great distances is much less important than taking beautiful, scenic, very quiet and easy to ride roads - of which there are plenty! Without doupt one of the greatest motorcycling countries in the world. The small roads are very popular among bicyclists and motorcycles, a 125cc Vespa will blend in just nicely.

GTS is heavier and has a bit 'bulkier' shape than the Sprint. The only benefit of that is that it may be just a tad more solid to ride at faster speeds.

a 300cc Vespa feels like from a different planet than a 125cc Vespa. Seriously, it is more like a small wheeled motorcycle with automatic transmission. Personally, and with the rather rough road surfaces we have here in Finland (not an issue in Spain though...) , I prefer a large wheel motorcycle for faster / longer rides, but the Sprint was a very cool city slicker and backroad companion.
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Trident 660
Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 am quote
karinhelena wrote:
Hi everybody!
Thanks a lot of all the tips so far. I think I will start then with a Vespa Sprint 125cc, see how that feels and how long that gets me.

Then I can take the test, and get something bigger if I want to.

Really appreciate all your help!

Where ever you decide to go please share some pictures!
Ossessionato
Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 pm quote
Hello! I have ridden 125cc in Portugal and I currently live in Spain and I can say that you'll be perfectly fine on a 125. I personally prefer the secondary roads and the 125 is built for them. I am also in the market for a new scooter. You will have to come and visit us in Valencia. We have an extra bedroom!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu May 06, 2021 1:20 pm quote
I have a French friend who has travelled all over Europe on a 125.

https://www.allersretours.com/index.php?page=nor00

He has some superb photography on that site, you can get lost for hours.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu May 06, 2021 1:45 pm quote
teacherquinn wrote:
Hello! I have ridden 125cc in Portugal and I currently live in Spain and I can say that you'll be perfectly fine on a 125. I personally prefer the secondary roads and the 125 is built for them. I am also in the market for a new scooter. You will have to come and visit us in Valencia. We have an extra bedroom!
Hey! Don't I know you from somewhere?
Hooked
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e
Thu May 06, 2021 2:44 pm quote
Ive cycled around Europe a few times, camping out and staying at Hostels. You may want to check cycling routes for low traffic. And Id definitely recommend Hostels.

Go for it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu May 06, 2021 3:50 pm quote
karinhelena wrote:
OMG, I'm like a kid in a candy shop thinking about riding the Continent. Unfortunately I haven't, but a lot of us here have, so there are lot of brains to pick here. Personally, driving around Chianti...and a bit of Tuscany in Italy a few years back and I was salivating on the roads there, which would be perfect for your riding preference. Stopping at SIP Scootershop in Landsberg (along with touring Bavaria) is an excellent option.

Happy shopping..and riding!
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm quote
Touring on a Vespa
You can not go wrong. What a dream adventure. I prefer the
Vespa 300 because it is the scooter for all requirements. It has
the legs to go long on the express way and you can always ride
slow on back roads . Hey, you can always up-power in the future.

I really envy your forth coming travels. Please bring a camera
and share.

Years ago, I read travel story of a young man, after completing
college, bought a new Honda 50cc Metropolitan. He rode from
North Carolina on the East coast to Los Angeles on the West
coast. He took all backroads and crossed major rivers on the
freeways riding on the road shoulder. I admired that guy. He
putted along and saw more of America and met more people
than many of us ever will.

Have a great adventure.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota USA

Lurker
GTS 250
Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 am quote
Hi fellow Karin!
You chose well - have loads of fun with your Primavera! I've managed the Timmelsjoch pass between Austria and Italy with a Piaggio Typhoon 50cc.The Timmelsjoch is well above 8000ft.! so you'll be more than pleased with the Primavera's horsepower.
Show some photos of your tour, some time, okay?
best wishes,
Karin
Vespa Sprint 125 ABS
Sat May 08, 2021 1:15 am quote
The Sprint 125 is certainly a good machine for all round riding. The only downside for touring is the low cruising speed which is around 50mph, (80 km/hr). This may only be a disadvantage on fast out of town roads. The Primavera 125 is mechanically identical.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0573s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0350s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]