Video Cams / helmet or bike mount / which one do you have?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. Tethys - 300 GTS Titanium
Mon May 03, 2021 8:29 am quote
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a video recorder specifically for my scooter. Partially for the Cannonball, but more for my daily commute. A while ago I had a sony Action Cam that I mounted to the scooter, but it never seemed to be angled properly. And, image stabilization was not good.

Anybody have one they love? Anybody have one they hate?

What do you use it for and how do you mount it?

Thanks!
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(11,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Mon May 03, 2021 8:43 am quote
Helmet. When an aggressive air bag jockey gets near me, I alert them of the cam buy pointing at it. I feel it's more visible on the helmet. 8 out of 10 times they chill out.
Lurker
GTS 300
Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 am quote
I have a GoPro 3+ for the handlebar, and on my helmet, I have the Drift Ghost XL 9 hour battery life, excellent kit
Addicted
GTS250ie, R1200R
Mon May 03, 2021 10:25 am quote
Helmet mounted camera is the easiest and gives the more stable recording. I've tried three places over the years, the tele-tubbies (top), side mounted, and currently on the chin of the helmet.
The current set-up provides the best view/recording (it is a gopro "8") and it is simple to activate/stop (compared to the top of the helmet).
Addicted
Mon May 03, 2021 2:30 pm quote
GJArmstrong wrote:
on my helmet, I have the Drift Ghost XL 9 hour battery life, excellent kit
Did you mount it on the right hand side? Or, did you mount it upside down on the left for ease of access? Apparently flipping the video isn't that hard to do in editing. Not sure why they would make it for right hand side attachment.
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, VNX1T, V9B1T
Mon May 03, 2021 2:39 pm quote
I'd like to suggest a cheap alternative that is perfect for this usage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXXP4EC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A fraction of the cost of recognized names and for this usage the price per quality is unbeatable. I've had and used for video production.. many gopros and other action cams and they are never worth their higher price tag for the video quality. I sold them all on ebay cause I found I never used them anymore given the constant disappointment in image quality.

During pandemic I had a desire to get one again to use on my scooter like you, and this one was perfect for it. Camera case and menu is cheap as F but who cares cause you keep it in its crash case and if it breaks its so cheap just go buy another one!

I'll just point out regarding mounting.. at least on vintage scooters, mounting to the bike itself is pretty unusable video cause the bike rattles so much and the camera mount amplifies this shake to the point you can't see anything. Mounting to your person in some form will be much more viewable footage as you are a natural shock absorber/steadicam.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Mon May 03, 2021 2:56 pm quote
I have had a GoPro since 2013.

I mounted it to the front of Rocket for a few rides, including the 2014 SCR.

I used it getting to the start, then on day 1, but stopped when I found it acting up.

I got some nice video, but honestly, nobody wants to watch them.

I still use it to record my autocross runs, but those are only for me.

Bill
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue May 04, 2021 12:52 am quote
I use GoPro Hero 7 Black, and chest mount it as it gives very stable wide angle imagery of everything in front and to the side of you without the limits that some helmet mounts can give. It also doesn't suffer from the annoying head turning flicks and other rider observational disturbances which can make viewers feel a bit sick if riding in urban environments where lots of observations are needed! Although, of course it's a personal thing too about where you mount it.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 am quote
GoPro **something**, a few years old.

I like the device itself, hate GoPro PC-software

I've used chest mount and handlebar mount, tested briefly helmet mount.

My favourite is handlebar mount. May take a few shots to find a good place, but gives nice, calm video. No issues with vibration with a GoPro. Here is an example with quite rough road surface and my Triumph, the resolution was in a lowish setting if I remember correctly.

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Tue May 04, 2021 3:50 am quote
Kim,

I have a SENA 10C on my helmet. Shoots video and stills, connects to my iPhone for calls and music.

And an old GoPro Hero 3 on the mirror.

You can see them both at work in this video.

Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Tue May 04, 2021 4:03 am quote
If you aren't familiar with 360 cameras, I'd suggest checking into these. I use an Insta 360 One R, and generally mount it on a mirror stalk; have also used it on my helmet or with a clamp mount on the back of the bike.

Here are a couple examples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L6-slZH5qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpEVQZaQv8

The advantage of the 360 camera is it sees all around - you choose which view you want after shooting. The downside is it takes a bit more time to put together a video because of the unlimited options for the view. Great stabilization.

Insta also recently released the Insta 360 X2, that is getting great reviews. I also have 2 GoPros and an inexpensive Akaso V50. Those traditional action cameras get very little use since getting the 360 camera.

Riding through Sturgis during the Rally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNFIQOGpQs
Ossessionato
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 86 & 96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Tue May 04, 2021 4:58 am quote
Iíve tried on the handlebars, top and now chin. Chin works the best for my GoPro Hero 5. Best angle Iíve found of traffic ahead of me.

I used the 3M tape GoPro base and some moldable glue (forgot the brand name Goo-roo?) to secure it. Extra glue helps since my Scorpion Exo has a curved chin area.
Addicted
Tue May 04, 2021 5:08 am quote
MJRally wrote:
Iíve tried on the handlebars, top and now chin. Chin works the best for my GoPro Hero 5. Best angle Iíve found of traffic ahead of me.

I used the 3M tape GoPro base and some moldable glue (forgot the brand name Goo-roo?) to secure it. Extra glue helps since my Scorpion Exo has a curved chin area.
I've got the same helmet as you so that's good to know!
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Tue May 04, 2021 7:11 am quote
If you have a Cycle Gear local, try them. They now exclusively sell Sena. No more GoPro. The new communicator/camera set-ups are pretty cool. I'm not super tech savvy but a co-worker has the current Sena system and I figured it out.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 am quote
KimPossible wrote:
MJRally wrote:

I've got the same helmet as you so that's good to know!
I think the chin mount is my favored view but it is fussier than the SENA 10C Pro. I've had to learn to not swing my head around so much with a helmet mount.

Video is a complicated process to do it well. I don't have the patience to create what I really would want to do with more than just the eventual mind-numbing imagery of the road ahead. It's really nice to have a perspective that includes context and landscape but certainly requires work.

One of the best examples of riding video I've come across is with Itchy Boots. She is a solo rider and has outstanding videos which include narration, drone footage, and the traditional stuff. She uses the latest GoPro cameras which have great noise reduction and image stabilization. And shoot in 4K. She uses a neat chin mount that I've tried to purchase but it's been out of stock forever.

It's worth having a look at her videos. Here's the latest which gives a nice perspective of things.

DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0477s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0300s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]