Hard to start LX50 (delayed cranking)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2006 LX50
Tue May 04, 2021 12:46 pm quote
I have a 2006 LX50 on which I installed the 80cc kit about a year ago.
Recently, I go to start and there is a 3-10 second delay before the scoot starts cranking.

I was sure it was the battery that was shot but the battery shows a nice 12.7 Volts and drops to 12.3V when cranking.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 am quote
Is this usually after it's been sitting overnight?
Try this:
Disconnect the fuel line while the bike is not running.. If gas continues to flow, replace the fuel valve. this might fix it.
If not, plug the fuel line and let the bike run until it dies. Let it sit overnight. Try to start it. Does it turn over right away? If not, it's likely the starter motor. If it does, there's a strong likelihood gas is getting past the float needle. Inspect for debris, and turn the needle 180 degrees. This often fixes that.
2006 LX50
Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 am quote
@motovista thank you for your input. It does not necessarily have to be overnight, a few hours will do.

This morning I was finally able to record a video of the issue. See below.
After showing it to my wife (she drives the vespa), she says I was doing it wrong, she says that I have to slowly push the start button until it catches, that's the "trick" she says.

That leads me to believe it might be the switch itself that is faulty. Is that common? Or should I still pursue the starter and fuel issue? I am thinking because it is not cranking at all it would not be a fuel issue?

Here's the link to the video:
Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250
Sun May 09, 2021 2:19 pm quote
I watched your video and wonder if you see the brake light come on while you are squeezing the lever? Did you try holding the other brake lever?

Yes it could be the starter switch but more likely a bad kill switch or the starter relay. You can check the kill switch: Temporarily eliminate it by shorting its wires together. Same for the starter switch.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun May 09, 2021 2:50 pm quote
The most likely culprit is the brake light switch. Often both of them are found to be intermittent. Very easy to test - look at the brake light when trying to start - and very cheap to replace.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0315s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0149s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]