OP
UTC

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)

Hooked
UTC quote
After years of riding with a broken speedo cable I decided to install a new one on my Stella. Speedo works, but the cable refuses to stay engaged at the hub end. I've reinstalled multiple times, and it lasts a few miles and then disengages.

Are there any tricks for getting it to stay in place? I've got all the bits installed (metal plate, rubber bushing thing, etc).
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb
UTC quote
2 thoughts.

1. Make sure it is the correct cable I think there are two speedo cable options. Not sure on newer bikes if it is easy to get them confused, but it happens on older Vespas for sure. *ahem* (yes, I have experience ordering the wrong one.)

2. Re-grease and reset the speedo cog drive. I had this happen on the VNB. It seemed like the drive cog wasn't fully seated. After I sorted the right/wrong cable nonsense, this was the final piece of the puzzle for me.

YMMV
@philos avatar
UTC

Banned
2001 LML 150 2t

Banned
@philos avatar
2001 LML 150 2t
UTC quote
yackee .. do you have the steel stepped bushing in? That's the first thing to go in.

The idea the of set up is that when the outer steel plate is tightened down it compresses the rubber bushing onto the cable to hold it in place. If you have all the parts installed and the cable pops out, try a new rubber bushing. Or as someone suggested, make sure the cable is the correct length and not pulling out when the shocker compresses/extends.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
The comment about there being two different speedo cables encouraged me to peer intently at the end of the cable I had. I found a wire had come loose and was preventing the cable end from firmly seating in the squared-off hole in the drive gear. I think. I trimmed off the unraveled wire and tightened the holding bolt down hard and the speedo works! Thanks NSM.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
yackee wrote:
The comment about there being two different speedo cables encouraged me to peer intently at the end of the cable I had. I found a wire had come loose and was preventing the cable end from firmly seating in the squared-off hole in the drive gear. I think. I trimmed off the unraveled wire and tightened the holding bolt down hard and the speedo works! Thanks NSM.
Try talking to it nicely, I find it helps, also keeps the neighbors from stealing your whiskey as they think your nuts and don't come over.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
your rubber bushing might be worn out. I had problems with my stella speedo cable where for some reason it was causing the plastic gear to get eaten up instantly every time I installed a new one. The solution was to replace the rubber bushing. I'd try that if I was having problems keeping the cable in, cause the rubber bushing's role is to squish down with the mounting plate and the squishing rubber holds the cable in the correct spot.

BTW, the correct speedo cable for stella is the one with the metal screw for the speedo. Not the plastic clip end.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0254s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0024s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]