@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I don't think I've ever used the 'Replied' list. Hey-ho.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I don't think I've ever used the 'Replied' list. Hey-ho.
I only use it when I want to find something, eg I might remember I replied to something last week and want to find it quickly.

but normally I livre on the new since last visit page
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
but normally I livre on the new since last visit page
Do you find that it resets on you at inopportune moments? It should last as long as your session does, but as I don't spend much time on that page, I don't see whether it seems to be working correctly over the long term.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Do you find that it resets on you at inopportune moments? It should last as long as your session does, but as I don't spend much time on that page, I don't see whether it seems to be working correctly over the long term.
my behaviour is basically to quickly go through that list clicking on each even if not interested in the topic to "clear" anything new.

if I don't complete the list above and switch from phone<->computer or leave it a few hours then it stops being effective for me as it won't show ones that I hadn't yet got around to reading
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
if I don't complete the list above and switch from phone<->computer or leave it a few hours then it stops being effective for me as it won't show ones that I hadn't yet got around to reading
That's about as I expected.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
I have just noticed that the Date setting for me has changed to the American system of MM/DD/YYYY whereas I would prefer DD/MM/YYYY. The Time format is also in AM/PM despite my Profile preference being 24hr.
On attempting to change the Date format I was offered 4 of exactly the same format, and on the Time format was offered automatic, 24hr or 12hr and when I changed from Automatic to 24hr nothing changed.
Mmmmm 🤔
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC quote
BTW, the date is correct but formatted incorrectly, and the time is correct for New Zealand.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
pigletpilot wrote:
I have just noticed that the Date setting for me has changed to the American system of MM/DD/YYYY whereas I would prefer DD/MM/YYYY. The Time format is also in AM/PM despite my Profile preference being 24hr.
On attempting to change the Date format I was offered 4 of exactly the same format, and on the Time format was offered automatic, 24hr or 12hr and when I changed from Automatic to 24hr nothing changed.
Mmmmm 🤔
The thing is, the date format isn't up to me -- it's up to your browser. Ideally, your browser would take that information from the settings in your OS, but anecdotally it doesn't seem to. Browsers are, at the very least, supposed to render the dates in a "regionally appropriate" manner. It might be that the language settings of your OS are influencing this, for instance if you have it set to American English instead of, well, whatever kind of English it is that you prefer in NZ.

As for the time, that's a little more troubling. I am giving explicit instructions to use 12 or 24 hour time, or no instructions when your profile is set to "automatic". I checked to be double sure and the setting is still working for me. Sounds like your browser is blatantly ignoring those instructions.

So, the question becomes: what browser are you running, and what are the language settings in your OS?
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC quote
Weeellll, how interesting. I went looking in Safari and didn't find anything untoward, so looked at my General System Settings on Mac OS 13.0.1. The Time format was not set to 24hr so I changed that and restrarted the computer and everything has come right.
Thanks for all your work Jess, it allows us less proficient users to get things to look how we like them.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
pigletpilot wrote:
Thanks for all your work Jess, it allows us less proficient users to get things to look how we like them.
Sorry it was so roundabout. I was hoping that browsers would do a better job of using local time zone and formatting rules than I could provide from the server. The time zone part seems to be spot-on, but the browser interpretation of "locally appropriate date format" seems to be fast and loose.

Did your date format change as well, or just the time format? Curious why it was using the US date format.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC quote
Both changed for the better. Safari is usually so reliable that I was genuinely surprised at the change. All good now thanks.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
I have a bone to pick with you. Why is it that I don't have a moniker? I want more awards.
Okay, Max. We have relented. You now have an official title.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Okay, Max. We have relented. You now have an official title.
Thats an appropriate response to the inappropriate responder.
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric
UTC quote
I have found a stale link. In the FAQ there is a link to an "Original Forum FAQ" and that leads to a 404.

I haven't used the bell on a thread in a while. I don't remember what used to happen, but I haven't noticed anything for the NZ thread I belled the other day. There have been several answers in the meantime. Is it broken? I'm using Safari on my iPad.
I should sort out my mailboxes. Sorry.
⚠️ Last edited by Der Blechfahrer on UTC; edited 1 time
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Noticed this morning and forgot to post: your tables are looking a bit flexy.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Looks like a side effect of the new date format. I might have to override the user's preference there and use the short date format.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Should be fixed now. I'm forcing that specific date field to be in 'medium' format, which will likely fit better within the author box.
@ironfoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250 - sold

Molto Verboso
@ironfoot avatar
'07 GTS 250 - sold
UTC quote
Bob Copeland's avatar thumbnail is always turned on its side in the topics list. Maybe something to do with that strange old bottle of bourbon he's found recently.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Ironfoot wrote:
Bob Copeland's avatar thumbnail is always turned on its side in the topics list. Maybe something to do with that strange old bottle of bourbon he's found recently.
Ah, yeah. I did notice that, and made a mental note to investigate, and then promptly forgot. I have seen a smattering of images over the years that behave strangely due to odd metadata, and I'm guessing this is one of them. Not sure why it only affects the thumbnail, though.

I'm writing it down this time.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Ironfoot wrote:
Okay, I think I've fixed the underlying problem that led to his avatar thumbnail being rotated, though I have not updated Bob's specific avatar thumbnail. He can re-upload his avatar if he wants to have it reprocessed.

Ironically, for Bob's specific case, the fixed processing results in an arguably worse thumbnail. For portrait photos, the square thumbnail is taken from the upper portion of the original image. In 99% of portrait photos, this is the correct cropping. In Bob's specific case, the upper half of the photo is mostly background, so his thumbnail ends up looking almost kilroy-esque.

One of the things I have come to understand about working in this environment is that there is rarely a clearly right answer. What works for most might be suboptimal for some or even broken for a small minority. So it really ends up being about probabilities than absolute right and wrong. Which I am still getting used to, I suppose.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I also fixed three other avatar-related bugs while I was working on that section of code.

1) Avatar EXIF data was not getting stripped, which is part of what led to the problem that Ironfoot noted.
2) While Avatars were being properly deleted upon request (there's a checkbox in the user profile) the thumbnails were not being deleted. In fact, they were still linked in the user record, and so would go on being shown indefinitely after "deletion".
3) The actual avatar size limit disagreed with the error message delivered to the user upon exceeding that limit. The size limit has been 2mb for a long time, but the message said 20k, which is laughable. I upped the actual limit to 6mb (mostly as a convenience -- the images are heavily size-reduced anyway) and made the error message agree.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
This is probably user error or bad memory, but just in case... I was sure the forum allowed lists to be used when composing messages in the past. But I don't see any bullet icon in the edit menu, nor could I get any combination of [ul] or <ul> to work.

Am I remembering wrong? Was this functionality disabled? Something else?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
berto wrote:
This is probably user error or bad memory, but just in case... I was sure the forum allowed lists to be used when composing messages in the past. But I don't see any bullet icon in the edit menu, nor could I get any combination of [ul] or <ul> to work.

Am I remembering wrong? Was this functionality disabled? Something else?
You're not misremembering, it used to be an option. But it was either broken, or I couldn't figure out how to actually use it -- possibly both. And nobody else was using it either, so the buttons for it were removed.

Is the functionality still there? Good question. Let me take a peek.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
The underlying BBCode support is still there. I think the button functionality was quite misleading, and most attempts at using them led to broken BBCode.

Here are some examples. Not sure why there is so much vertical space between groups.
[list]
[*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[*]Item 3
[/list]
Produces:
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
  • Item 3

[list=1]
[*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[*]Item 3
[/list]
Produces:
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  3. Item 3

[list=A]
[*]This
[*]That
[*]The other thing
[*]That thing over there
[/list]
Produces:
  1. This
  2. That
  3. The other thing
  4. That thing over there
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Update: I've just pushed a change to the server that improves the formatting somewhat. I'm now applying the same "whitespace hoovering" method that I've been applying to quote blocks for years, to get rid of extraneous vertical space.

So the above becomes:
[list]
[*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[*]Item 3
[/list]
Produces:
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
  • Item 3

[list=1]
[*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[*]Item 3
[/list]
Produces:
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  3. Item 3

[list=A]
[*]This
[*]That
[*]The other thing
[*]That thing over there
[/list]
Produces:
  1. This
  2. That
  3. The other thing
  4. That thing over there
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
You're not misremembering, it used to be an option. But it was either broken, or I couldn't figure out how to actually use it -- possibly both. And nobody else was using it either, so the buttons for it were removed.

Is the functionality still there? Good question. Let me take a peek.
Thanks for looking into it! (And for confirming my sanity.)
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Bonus: in the posts above, I'm using the HR tag:
[hr]
Which just draws a horizontal rule across the page:

Like so.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Bonus: in the posts above, I'm using the HR tag:
[hr]
Which just draws a horizontal rule across the page:

Like so.
Fancy!
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Jess. Thanks for updating the list function. I was never able to figure out how it worked before so I ignored it. I'm anxious to give it a try. I'm a huge user of lists in most anything involving multiple steps in a task description. A few comments please...

• The list function is not in the in Post Reply menu like it used to be
  • What's the purpose of the "= A" or "= 1" in the opening [ list] label and how would someone use that
  • Embedding a list within a list (nesting?) allows sub-bullets.
    • Subbullet - works great!
      [#] And changing the bullet itself to another character resulted in unexpected behavior
      [!] Another bullet character
  • And I like that you can create multiple lists in the same post
  • And it line up with the first list indent level

Bravo!
Miguel

And here's a screenshot of my "code"
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Jess. Thanks for updating the list function. I was never able to figure out how it worked before so I ignored it.
Well that makes all of us, then

I think the buttons just didn't lend themselves well to the task. Laying it out in text is probably simpler.
Miguel wrote:
What's the purpose of the "= A" or "= 1" in the opening [ list] label and how would someone use that
There are effectively three kinds of lists -- unordered (with bullets), numbered, and alphabetic. Using =1 forces the list into a numbered list mode, while =A forces it into an alphabetic list mode.

"Unordered" and "Alphabetic" are misleading here, though -- it doesn't change the order of the items, it only changes how they are numbered, or lettered, or bulleted.
Miguel wrote:
[#] And changing the bullet itself to another character resulted in unexpected behavior
[!] Another bullet character
There is no changing of the bullet character, except by making a numeric or alphabetic list. Those are the only options.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
while you're at it, can we get the underline button in the editor when viewing in mobile? tedious to edit the bbcode or switch to desktlop layout
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
while you're at it, can we get the underline button in the editor when viewing in mobile? tedious to edit the bbcode or switch to desktlop layout
Better?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Yup. Thanks
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
Yup. Thanks
Underline didn't strike me as useful as italic and bold, so it got selectively removed earlier in the screen-shrinking process.
Sidebar
There is no "mobile" version of MV, per se -- mobile and desktop are served by the same HTML, but with lots of CSS selectively removing things (and occasionally adding things) as the screen gets smaller. So it's a spectrum, rather than discrete modes.

You can see this for yourself on the desktop, in any browser that supports a developer responsive design mode. As the viewport shrinks, more and more stuff disappears from view.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Not a bug but seems a bit odd. From time to time my Notifications lights up 'cause John Smith and 1 other like something. Terrific. Then some time down the track Joe Blogs and 1 other like something. Awesome. This 1 other dude is consistently giving me the thumbs up. Who is this 1 other ? Had a look at the Members, and he's not there so can't PM him. No posts by 1 other also. It's as if he doesn't exist.
Sometimes there's a Notification from his brother 2 others. Don't get me started on him. Razz emoticon
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
No posts by 1 other also. It's as if he doesn't exist.
Sometimes there's a Notification from his brother 2 others. Don't get me started on him. Razz emoticon
Hmmm. Interesting. I'll put it down on my daily to-do list to look into. Right below #34 -- Solve World Hunger.

@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
this is a very slow search. I though it was dead but it eventually made it
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
this is a very slow search. I though it was dead but it eventually made it
Yeah, putting a name filter on a search is definitely slow. I might be able to speed it up somewhat by reducing the number of joins in the SQL query, but have to wait for a reindex to finish before I can test that theory.

It might just be that the size of our data is too much for the MySQL/MariaDB fulltext search, at least when using additional filters.

Just curious, why use advanced and + here? If you're looking for a single word, you shouldn't need either.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Yeah, putting a name filter on a search is definitely slow. I might be able to speed it up somewhat by reducing the number of joins in the SQL query, but have to wait for a reindex to finish before I can test that theory.

It might just be that the size of our data is too much for the MySQL/MariaDB fulltext search, at least when using additional filters.

Just curious, why use advanced and + here? If you're looking for a single word, you shouldn't need either.
Have you considered maybe ElasticSearch?

The + was cause I was going to add more words
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
Have you considered maybe ElasticSearch?
Every time I look at ElasticSearch I come away wondering if it actually does search, or how much it will cost. Questions that you'd think would be easy to answer, but for some reason don't seem to be forthcoming.

I'd be more inclined toward Sphinx.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0373s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0096s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]