OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
My last Melody missive here brought up the issue of tire-pressure maintenance, and brought to the fore my pig-headedness in not remembering one of the simplest fixes to a seemingly-mysterious slow leak that has nothing to do with the tire itself: a faulty valve. This revelation was followed by a quick visit to my local AutoZone on my way back from Gotham in the evening: a valve core tool and a four-pack of replacement valve cores. I haven't touched the rear tire's valve yet, since it seems to be holding pressure (for now), but the intermittent nature the problem confirms that the tire itself can confidently be ruled out, and if the problem reappears I have the means of handling it.

But this brought up something else I'd been lax about on the preparedness front: full protection on-the-road. Yep, I have one pair of armored jeans (Bull-It, which wear well and don't look overly grand-dad jean-y), as well as not one, but three proper moto-jackets to cover all the seasons. However, only one of those jackets (a RevIt! sport-touring jacket I bought used from someone locally) came with full elbow/shoulder/back armor; my other two jackets didn't: my Highway 21 Turbine mesh jacket came with CE-rated shoulder and elbow armor, but only a cheap foam insert for the back; my Roland Sands Ramone jacket, which is otherwise a terrific jacket in looks, fit, and construction, only had armor as an option, although it was "armor-ready" with all those internal pockets. And, given the miles I run up on a regular basis, and the speeds at which I run them up, attention had to be paid.

SO...last week I go online to the usual suspects and put in orders for All Of The Above. I'd tried to get the Knox inserts for the Roland Sands in the past, but they were perennially sold out. This time, I lucked out, and jumped on my order. While I was at it, I ordered a RevIt! SeeSoft back insert for my Highway 21 jacket. (Kudos to RevZilla for helping pick the right size and saving me grief.)

All of this has come to the fore as a result of my fast-and-frequent forays into Gotham, which, according to Google Maps' GPS data, have gotten a good deal faster lately: two days ago, I noticed that I wasn't being passed by all that many cars while heading home on both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway; The reason was that I was managing in the low-to-mid-80s for much of the ride back. This, on a scooter, is flat-out exhilarating, but it also points out the matter of one's mortality, and the need to responsibly address safety issues. For the moment, I think I've adequately addressed a few things along these lines.

At the risk of (over)stating the obvious: None of this stuff constitutes a cloak of invincibility. What it offers is a chance to minimize injury in the event of a crash. That being said, it still boggles my mind to see someone on a much bigger, hairier ride (like the dude on an MV Agusta Brutalé in Park Slope yesterday afternoon), in the moto-equivalent of "dress extremely casual." To each their own, of course.
Tires and Body: Preventive measures
Tires and Body: Preventive measures
Comparison: Foam padding for back protection that came with Highway 21 jacket (above), RevIt! SeeSoft insert replacing it (below). It's all about degrees.
Comparison: Foam padding for back protection that came with Highway 21 jacket (above), RevIt! SeeSoft insert replacing it (below). It's all about degrees.
Some Assembly Required: If you've ever installed optional armor for riding jackets and such, you know exactly what I mean here.
Some Assembly Required: If you've ever installed optional armor for riding jackets and such, you know exactly what I mean here.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 5 times
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km
UTC quote
I have always ridden with back, shoulder, elbow protection in my jackets (mostly Corazzo).

Only in recent years have I also started using knee protection in my Resurgence Jeans, but I only do this for day rides etc where I go fast and far rather than the frequent cafe & shopping cart usage.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
I recently organized a ride with our club to Iron Pony Motorsports in Columbus, primarily to upgrade some of my armor. I've been riding for several years with a thin foam pad on my back and hips.

My Tourmaster jacket and pants have served me well and the knee, shoulder and elbow armor are all very good. So I've got D3O replacements for the back and hips.

I also found some new cold weather gloves on clearance!

If you're ever near the Columbus, OH area, I strongly recommend a stop at Iron Pony. It's one of the largest motorcycle gear and accessories locations anywhere. They are also a Vespa dealer along with many other brands of bikes as well. It's almost overwhelming.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
As Treppenwitz once said, "Your riding skills keep you safe. You riding gear protects you when your riding skills fail you."

And as others have said, "Ride for the slide, not the ride."

Miguel
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Well, if your 'low-to-mid-80s' refers to mph and not a mental state you'll adopt while cruising, it is about the time to get some gear upgrades. Looking good!

I'm pretty certain my motorcycle (around 270 lbs curb weight, 900cc) did not go that fast during the whole last summer.... I'm fortunate to ride mostly for fun and when commuting, by spending ~10min extra each way I can go around the fastest road 8)
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Well, if your 'low-to-mid-80s' refers to mph and not a mental state you'll adopt while cruising, it is about the time to get some gear upgrades. Looking good!

I'm pretty certain my motorcycle (around 270 lbs curb weight, 900cc) did not go that fast during the whole last summer.... I'm fortunate to ride mostly for fun and when commuting, by spending ~10min extra each way I can go around the fastest road 8)
Happily, I am referring to the former, although my mental state throughout our Great Shared Calamity might have been called into question at certain moments over he past year.

Along the route I normally take (including but not limited to: Garden State Parkway, New Jersey Turnpike, Long Island Expressway, Henry Hudson Parkway [West Side, Manhattan], FDR Drive [East Side, Manhattan]) people will generally go as fast as they think they can get away with, literally. It's always telling when you're doing 80mph and feel compelled to stay in the right lane.

BTW: 270lbs for a 900cc bike? You certain about the math on that one? The power-to-weight ratio on that should likely be outlawed for the safety of the riders!'
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
I am all the gear, almost all the time and I have NO doubt it has saved me from a lot of pain, from minor road rash to major ouch, No I am not going to try to stand, yes I am sure the leg is broken stuff. My old body appreciates that I care enough to wear the gear, and yes, I am going to keep riding, but probably not buying any more scooters...owing 3 is probably enough for this old woman...
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
and a spare face mask when you're off the scoot.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
BTW: 270lbs for a 900cc bike? You certain about the math on that one? The power-to-weight ratio on that should likely be outlawed for the safety of the riders!'
Ah, you got me there Razz emoticon

That was probably my day dream bike, 470 lbs is the correct number
@kimpossible avatar
UTC

Addicted
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300

Addicted
@kimpossible avatar
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Ah, you got me there Razz emoticon

That was probably my day dream bike, 470 lbs is the correct number
I think I had a bike like that when I used to play Road Rash on my Sega Genesis. Plus turbo. Even in the game I couldn't keep that thing on the road.
Boy I wish I had kept that Sega!
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I loved Road Rash on the 3DO! I always played as the blond woman who had the chain. My roommate and I used to link the 3DOs up, one on each end of the house, and race the day away. Good times!

I recently went looking for a mesh jacket for summer. Cycle Gear now pushes their house brand stuff. I want to try on a Icon Air mesh but they didn't have any on the floor, and I hated the fit of the house brand one because I've gotten a bit fat. I should just wear a flannel like the Harley guys around here.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
I used to swap back protectors from one jacket to another, depending on the season. Now I have a nice CE 2 with an open weave in my mesh jacket so I can leave the heavier old CE 2 in my winter one. I have 4 pairs of riding jeans, 2 with knee/hip protection pockets. I confess, the pockets remain unused.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
KimPossible wrote:
I think I had a bike like that when I used to play Road Rash on my Sega Genesis. Plus turbo. Even in the game I couldn't keep that thing on the road.
Boy I wish I had kept that Sega!
Wow, that brought back memories!

With all the car simulators ruling the field, there's never been too many bike games around.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
RRider wrote:

270lb would mean it's a lot lighter than our Vespa GTS300's. Lol....!! Typo me thinks.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0303s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0038s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]