OP
UTC

Hooked
Genuine Buddy 125, Piaggio BV 250

Hooked
UTC quote
I was going to get an MP3 250 but went with a low mileage (6K) 2007 BV 250 instead. It was shipped from IL to CT and when I received it it would not start; engine would turn over but wouldn't catch, as if it wasn't getting any fuel. I opened the gas cap and there was a "whoosh". I then tried starting w/ throttle open. That worked and ran choppy for a bit until it smoothed out. It has started fine since but I'm concerned as to what caused the issue in the first place. Any ideas? Could the evap cannister have gotten flooded during shipping?

Forgot to mention that I had a hard time opening the gas cap, suggesting there was a vacuum situation going on.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Any ideas anyone? I'm not inclined to take any long rides until I have some idea of what happened. Help me, Obi Wan Vespa. You're my only hope!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
ScooterWoman9988 wrote:
Any ideas anyone? I'm not inclined to take any long rides until I have some idea of what happened. Help me, Obi Wan Vespa. You're my only hope!
All tanks breathe through an evaporation hole or tube, check that it is not blocked.
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
My book---old scooter that has done a lot of sitting around-----put fresh gas in, try for reg gas only, check oil, and tires for rot and ride, expect if you cannot fix stuff yourself to spend some money. Age of battery?
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
Maybe the fuel lines are old?

If they are starting to develop cracks and the thing sat for a long time is it possible that the fuel could have evaporated out of the lines? or even the carb?
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
All tanks breathe through an evaporation hole or tube, check that it is not blocked.
Thanks but I don't know what that hose is or even where to look.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
ScooterWoman9988 wrote:
Any ideas? Could the evap cannister have gotten flooded during shipping?
Very possible. You are certainly describing a tank venting problem. As the problem has resolved itself, I wouldn't hesitate to ride the scooter. If the problem reoccurred, loosening the gas cap would resolve it again, so getting stranded away from home doesn't seem likely.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0222s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]