Tue May 25, 2021 6:59 am

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Tue May 25, 2021 6:59 am linkquote
Was wondering, changed my gear oil and only got 4 ounces out of it and that doesn't sound right. Bike sat overnight and I didn't run it before dropping the oil , is that perhaps why ? I refilled the oil and started it and it seemed fine but I haven't ridden it yet.
Tue May 25, 2021 7:15 am

Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

 
Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

Tue May 25, 2021 7:15 am linkquote
Lynnb wrote:
Was wondering, changed my gear oil and only got 4 ounces out of it and that doesn't sound right. Bike sat overnight and I didn't run it before dropping the oil , is that perhaps why ? I refilled the oil and started it and it seemed fine but I haven't ridden it yet.
What scoot is it?

When was the last time you filled it up?

4ounces sounds pretty low... if it was topped up in the past year, and it's a large frame vespa. Most likely you have a leak somewhere and if there's no oil everywhere, could be an oil sucker or clutch side seal leak...
Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 am

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 am linkquote
108 wrote:
What scoot is it?

When was the last time you filled it up?

4ounces sounds pretty low... if it was topped up in the past year, and it's a large frame vespa. Most likely you have a leak somewhere and if there's no oil everywhere, could be an oil sucker or clutch side seal leak...
It is a large frame and there has been a drip leak, I haven't topped it up since last year when I changed the oil for the clutch problem. I just want to make sure if I drained it with oil cold it makes no difference as long as I drained all that came out and refilled to the point it was dripping out the overflow.
Tue May 25, 2021 7:49 am

Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

 
Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

Tue May 25, 2021 7:49 am linkquote
Lynnb wrote:
It is a large frame and there has been a drip leak, I haven't topped it up since last year when I changed the oil for the clutch problem. I just want to make sure if I drained it with oil cold it makes no difference as long as I drained all that came out and refilled to the point it was dripping out the overflow.
In my experience, and I'm pretty anal about it, I have paint mixing pots and pipettes to make sure I get a pretty exact amount... it doesn't make a difference draining it cold or warm.

I'm guessing it's just because it a pretty simple and small engine design.

There's no oil pump, oil filter, valve passages for the oil to collect in...

The leak is just coming out of the bottom of the crankcase?
Tue May 25, 2021 8:08 am

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Tue May 25, 2021 8:08 am linkquote
108 wrote:
In my experience, and I'm pretty anal about it, I have paint mixing pots and pipettes to make sure I get a pretty exact amount... it doesn't make a difference draining it cold or warm.

I'm guessing it's just because it a pretty simple and small engine design.

There's no oil pump, oil filter, valve passages for the oil to collect in...

The leak is just coming out of the bottom of the crankcase?
Yes seems to be leaking kind of down the front of the motor cases seam, the engine is a new build with 340 miles on it.
Wed May 26, 2021 7:44 am

Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

 
Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

Wed May 26, 2021 7:44 am linkquote
Lynnb wrote:
Yes seems to be leaking kind of down the front of the motor cases seam, the engine is a new build with 340 miles on it.
You probably want to solve the leak... if it's only got 340 miles in it, sounds like the cases weren't closed properly (not torqued properly, failed gasket/surface, dirty cases surface) and you probably don't want that long term...
Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 am

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 am linkquote
108 wrote:
You probably want to solve the leak... if it's only got 340 miles in it, sounds like the cases weren't closed properly (not torqued properly, failed gasket/surface, dirty cases surface) and you probably don't want that long term...
No I don't want that long term , it was built by a well known builder not myself. I will wait until I have my 500 mile breakin completed and get the jetting stabilized and then see what's going on.
Wed May 26, 2021 7:19 pm

Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

 
Hooked
PX 200
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 312

Wed May 26, 2021 7:19 pm linkquote
Lynnb wrote:
No I don't want that long term , it was built by a well known builder not myself. I will wait until I have my 500 mile breakin completed and get the jetting stabilized and then see what's going on.
Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.

Try make sure you have enough oil for the gears, if not you'll have a lot of premature wear...

Even to the level of the filler hole, it actually isnt that much oil getting flung around inside of the gearbox.
Thu May 27, 2021 12:16 am

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Thu May 27, 2021 12:16 am linkquote
108 wrote:
Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.

Try make sure you have enough oil for the gears, if not you'll have a lot of premature wear...

Even to the level of the filler hole, it actually isnt that much oil getting flung around inside of the gearbox.
Thanks I will keep that in mind.
Thu May 27, 2021 7:59 am

Hooked
1960 Allstate VNA, 1962 VNB
Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 172
Location: Cambria, CA
 
Hooked
1960 Allstate VNA, 1962 VNB
Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 172
Location: Cambria, CA
Thu May 27, 2021 7:59 am linkquote
108 wrote:
4ounces sounds pretty low... if it was topped up in the past year, and it's a large frame vespa. Most likely you have a leak somewhere and if there's no oil everywhere, could be an oil sucker or clutch side seal leak...
How much oil does a VBB/VNB hold?
Thu May 27, 2021 11:38 am

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Thu May 27, 2021 11:38 am linkquote
FNG wrote:
How much oil does a VBB/VNB hold?
Truthfully I have no idea how much oil a vbb is supposed to hold.
Thu May 27, 2021 11:55 am

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 6010
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 6010
Location: So Cal
Thu May 27, 2021 11:55 am linkquote
180cc ... about 6 ounces
Thu May 27, 2021 1:05 pm

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Thu May 27, 2021 1:05 pm linkquote
SoCalGuy wrote:
180cc ... about 6 ounces
Ok sounds about right , so I lost 2 ounces of oil over a period of about 80 miles. Sounds worse than it is right?
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0394s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0204s) ][ Debug on ][ 198 ][ Thing Two ]