Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 pm linkquote
I was having issues with the float needle on my Stella leaking and flooding the scoot if I left the tap on. Not a big deal, right? I had a couple of spares lying around, which took longer to dig out than replace, and I'm good-to-go, right?

Nope. Leaking worse than ever. I'm thinking "WTF?" And also, at that point, the Stella was also my only option, so I kind've needed it running reasonably reliably. So after much messing about, looking for leaks, etc., I finally realized the issue. The new needle was smaller than the old one. Like, significantly.

So I put the old one back in and that, along with being diligent about turning off the tap when the bike was off, got me rolling again.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I was ordering parts, so I threw some replacement needles in the cart. One for the Stella, one for the P200 motor, since it'll probably go sooner than later, and a spare because Why Not? I specifically checked that the fit was for 24/24 carbs, and what should arrive today but...more little tiny float needles.

So what form of dumbness am I falling prey to that I've now bought the wrong float needles twice?


old on the left, new on the right.

Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am

Hooked
61 VBB and 79 P200
Joined: 01 Jan 2018
Posts: 208
Location: Folsom CA
 
Hooked
61 VBB and 79 P200
Joined: 01 Jan 2018
Posts: 208
Location: Folsom CA
Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am linkquote
I have a small parts department made from all the wrong stuff I've acquired over the years.
Thu May 27, 2021 10:22 am

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 2864
Location: London UK
 
Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 2864
Location: London UK
Thu May 27, 2021 10:22 am linkquote
Looks like a Cosa one.
Thu May 27, 2021 12:02 pm

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Thu May 27, 2021 12:02 pm linkquote
Popgunandy wrote:
I have a small parts department made from all the wrong stuff I've acquired over the years.
Don't we all...

On the bright side, once UPS arrives today ("out for delivery"), I'll have a new wiring harness, plus a tail light lens and the rubber bits that Scooters Originali didn't have.

Almost ready to rumble...
Thu May 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

 
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 2511

Thu May 27, 2021 1:08 pm linkquote
Is it possible float is set to high or the seat is built up with crud? Is it even possible to make the float be set at the wrong float measurement?
Thu May 27, 2021 1:39 pm

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Thu May 27, 2021 1:39 pm linkquote
Lynnb wrote:
Is it possible float is set to high or the seat is built up with crud? Is it even possible to make the float be set at the wrong float measurement?
Not on the si carbs. The needle seats in the float itself, so no tab to bend like on a side draft.
Thu May 27, 2021 2:10 pm

Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1777
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1777
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Thu May 27, 2021 2:10 pm linkquote
Re: float needle question
chandlerman wrote:
I was having issues with the float needle on my Stella leaking and flooding the scoot if I left the tap on. Not a big deal, right? I had a couple of spares lying around, which took longer to dig out than replace, and I'm good-to-go, right?

Nope. Leaking worse than ever. I'm thinking "WTF?" And also, at that point, the Stella was also my only option, so I kind've needed it running reasonably reliably. So after much messing about, looking for leaks, etc., I finally realized the issue. The new needle was smaller than the old one. Like, significantly.

So I put the old one back in and that, along with being diligent about turning off the tap when the bike was off, got me rolling again.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I was ordering parts, so I threw some replacement needles in the cart. One for the Stella, one for the P200 motor, since it'll probably go sooner than later, and a spare because Why Not? I specifically checked that the fit was for 24/24 carbs, and what should arrive today but...more little tiny float needles.

So what form of dumbness am I falling prey to that I've now bought the wrong float needles twice?
Left is a Cosa needle, there larger, looks like you changed carburetor tops at some point.

Thu May 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
 
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3481
Location: Nashville
Thu May 27, 2021 2:59 pm linkquote
Re: float needle question
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Left is a Cosa needle, there larger, looks like you changed carburetor tops at some point.
If it happened, it happened prior to my purchasing the carb from SIP. The OG needle in my P200 is also the larger needle. I can't speak to the provence of that one, but given that everything else in the motor was stock, that's a pretty highly unlikely mod.
Thu May 27, 2021 10:58 pm

Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 2358
Location: california
 
Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 2358
Location: california
Thu May 27, 2021 10:58 pm linkquote
Im pretty sure I wrote a dissertation on this somewhere around page 30 (wild guess).
There is the Cosa, the stock solid, and the stock with spring.
Depends who makes them.
Also - word on the street was - the red ones were a softer better rubber than the black ones.

A super careful measure of their length, and the size of the square column portion, can help you identify the right one.
I vaguely recall SIP or SC listing all the length details?
Their site might help you determine what you are buying.
Some suppliers seemed unaware of the subtitles/differences.

-CM
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0455s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0261s) ][ Debug on ][ 198 ][ Thing Two ]