@obx_dude avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@obx_dude avatar
UTC quote
How did Max get banned?

As far as cooking, I made a pound cake with orange extract and orange peel along with almond/vanilla extract.
@obx_dude avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@obx_dude avatar
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
This all sounds terribly tech-heavy to me.
In South Africa, we don't BBQ... we braai ! (Pronounced "bry")

You make a fire, let it quieten down to coals while you drink beer.
When you can hold your hand over the grill for 4 seconds without burning it,
pop the meat on.

Singe on one side for a minute.
Turn over and do the other side until blood starts showing.
Turn it over and repeat for the other side.
Whip it off the grill and into a serving dish to rest while the ladies finish making the salad.
Serve
Yeah, we tend to get too technical about cooking. Sear and cook til done.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
This all sounds terribly tech-heavy to me.
In South Africa, we don't BBQ... we braai ! (Pronounced "bry")

You make a fire, let it quieten down to coals while you drink beer.
When you can hold your hand over the grill for 4 seconds without burning it,
pop the meat on.

Singe on one side for a minute.
Turn over and do the other side until blood starts showing.
Turn it over and repeat for the other side.
Whip it off the grill and into a serving dish to rest while the ladies finish making the salad.
Serve
One of my favorite South African contributions to barbeque is Chakalaka sauce. Like chimichuri (before every tv chef started calling all sorts of concoctions chimichuri), it just goes well with barbequed beef.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I was looking at a recipe that calls for Vegan Butter. Isn't that just margarine?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I was looking at a recipe that calls for Vegan Butter. Isn't that just margarine?
Absolutely not.
Margarine, food product made principally from one or more vegetable or animal fats or oils in which is dispersed an aqueous portion containing milk products, either solid or fluid, salt, and such other ingredients as flavouring agents, yellow food pigments, emulsifiers, preservatives, vitamins A and D, and butter.
Vegan butter is entirely plant based. Zero dairy.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
But, is it ACTUALLY butter?

"Butter is a dairy product made from the fat and protein components of churned cream. It is a semi-solid emulsion at room temperature, consisting of approximately 80% butterfat. It is used at room temperature as a spread, melted as a condiment, and used as a fat in baking, sauce-making, pan frying, and other cooking procedures.
Most frequently made from cow's milk, butter can also be manufactured from the milk of other mammals, including sheep, goats, buffalo, and yaks. It is made by churning milk or cream to separate the fat globules from the buttermilk. Salt has been added to butter since antiquity to help preserve it, particularly when being transported; salt may still play a preservation role but is less important today as the entire supply chain is usually refrigerated. In modern times, salt may be added for taste.[1] Food coloring is sometimes added to butter.[2] Rendering butter, removing the water and milk solids, produces clarified butter, or ghee, which is almost entirely butterfat". (Wikipedia)

Is this cultural misappropriation of the name butter? ROFL emoticon

Vegan spread that's like butter? Facepalm emoticon
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
In further extensive research (in other words, I googled "vegan margarine"), I found that some margarines are vegan. Most of them have the sort of name someone at the commune thought up, but Fleischmanns is a major brand that is Vegan.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
l'œuf parfait

If you have a water oven (sous vide device), place room temperature eggs in 64 degrees Celsius (147-148f) water for 45 minutes. Then place them in cold water so they stop cooking. Amazingly decadent soft boiled/poached style eggs with yolks like custard every time. And it's an easy way to make a whole lot of consistently cooked eggs if you have morning guests.

You can do this without a sous vide device, in a Bain Marie or double boiler, but it's way too much work and vigilance to keep the temperature right at 64 Celsius for that long.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Don't pay $5 for a Chiko roll. Get a frozen pack of 4 at Woolies for $7.50. Bung one in the airfyer as needed.

@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 55,000km

Ossessionato
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 55,000km
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
Don't pay $5 for a Chiko roll. Get a frozen pack of 4 at Woolies for $7.50. Bung one in the airfyer as needed.
I've been meaning to buy an air fryer
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Addicted
@jbacklund avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R
UTC quote
A can of drained Albacore Tuna and a handful of peas mixed into a steaming pile of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese is a delightfully low-brow, food-slumming, concoction of salty goodness.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Hooked
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT

Hooked
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
I make my own pastrami from scratch. My trick to make it better is to bump the temp up in the smoker after the wrap. It helps render the fat better and doesn't get dry.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
My other meat trick is to dry brine overnight. I can tell the meat is more tender and juicier. I also favor the reverse sear method. The uncooked pic is after dry brining.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
Well it's getting close to St. Patrick's Day. I use a whole packer brisket to make my corned beef. My wife is on a low salt diet so now after the brine I rinse the meat then cover in fresh water for a minimum of three hours and rinse again. The meat tastes the same but definitely not as salty. I heard from an Irish woman that she puts a few pats of butter in the pot to cook with her meat. Last year I tried it myself. Since mine is usually 15 lbs and gets slow cooked on my Kamado, I put a whole stick of unsalted butter in when I wrapped it in foil for the last third of the time. What a difference! I put raisins in my soda bread too. Didn't know that was an American thing but my mom always put them in hers.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Four words: Air Fryer Grilled Cheese.

I guess this has been a trend for a while, but I'm only now catching up to it. Just tried it tonight. Two slices of Kraft singles (yeah, I know, but I wanted to start with an easy lift) one slice of ham, two slices of bread, and mayonnaise on the outside. Standard grilled cheese starting point.

Then 8 minutes in the air fryer at about 380°F. That's probably like 22°C or something.

Super crispy bread, perfectly even browning, absolutely melted all the way through, delightful.

Next time I'll try it with some real cheese. And maybe I'll even manage to get a picture before it all goes in my gob.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
That sounds good Jess, I have to try that. My wife recently got an air fryer. Some things work great in it and others not so good. Yours sounds like a keeper!🤤 Now you have me thinking of all the great cheese that would work.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
So, what's the secret to cooking really tasty beef tongue?
I recently did a small repair for a friend and was gifted (that's how I took it) a whole beef tongue.

What should I do with it?
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
I recently did a small repair for a friend and was gifted (that's how I took it) a whole beef tongue.

I would try tacos myself. Google beef tongue or lengua tacos. Lots of recipes for it. My wife wouldn't try it if she knew what it was. She's silly that way! She ate the elk I cooked though, go figure.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
I would try tacos myself. Google beef tongue or lengua tacos. Lots of recipes for it. My wife wouldn't try it if she knew what it was. She's silly that way! She ate the elk I cooked though, go figure.
Thanks, that's on the list!
Question: would she eat elk tongue?
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Thanks, that's on the list!
Question: would she eat elk tongue?
Absolutely not, no matter how good it tasted!😂🤣
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:

It's been a while, but last time I cooked tongue, I used a pressure cooker. Tongue takes spices well, so if you like Jerk spices, you've got the right meat for it. It also holds up quite well to curries and hot pot style dishes. I think it works best in a stew or ragout, but people do grill it and throw it in a taco. If you want to go more Continental, there are a lot of French recipes out there for tongue, usually with some sort of mushroom sauce. If, after all this, you're at a loss for what to do, pull up an osso buco recipe and substitute the tongue for veal shanks. That is delicious.
Most people will peel the tongue after they cook it. When it's done, the skin is almost easy to peel off. But you can freeze it and use a vegetable peeler while it's still raw. There are Japanese peelers that allow you to take off more or less peel, and you want to take off more, not less.
Tongue is one of those things that many people find delicious, until you tell them what they are eating.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
I grew up eating (though rarely) the Jewish deli version of beef tongue: corned beef tongue.

I do remember the sight of a whole tongue on a platter in the middle of the table, the back of it looking like it had been torn out.

It wasn't my favorite meal.

I have also had lengua tacos in Guadalajara, which were tender and tasty.

Here is a recipe for corned beef tongue: http://tinyurl.com/22sufvcq
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0989s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0610s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]