Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:39 am

Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
 
Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:39 am linkquote
Riding the scooter today and the headlight suddenly went out .. but what was strange was that the green dipped light and blue full beam lights then lit up on the speedo?

Lasted for about a minute then went back to normal.

Did it again a couple more times, but only for a short period.

What could be wrong?? Switch? Headlight earth? Loose connection? Something else?

Weather was dry, so no water getting into electrics.
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:17 pm

Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
 
Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:17 pm linkquote
Someone suggested it may be wiring harness damaged due to rubbing when turning, would that create this issue?
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:19 am

Hooked
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 126
Location: Florida, USA
 
Hooked
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 126
Location: Florida, USA
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:19 am linkquote
The green dipped light will be on any time the headlight is on, regardless of whether the headlight works or not. Same with the blue Hi-beam light.
I suspect loose, broken connections either or both at the headlight bulb socket or at the switch.
Remove the top of the headset and the handlebar switch and visually inspect the connections. If you don't see anything amiss, then it's time for troubleshooting with a multimeter.
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:05 am

Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
 
Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:05 am linkquote
sp949 wrote:
The green dipped light will be on any time the headlight is on, regardless of whether the headlight works or not. Same with the blue Hi-beam light.
I suspect loose, broken connections either or both at the headlight bulb socket or at the switch.
Remove the top of the headset and the handlebar switch and visually inspect the connections. If you don't see anything amiss, then it's time for troubleshooting with a multimeter.
I was getting both on at the same time though, and when they did that the headlight went out.

I tried to find a circuit diagram that might shed some light on why they might do that.

Got a multimeter, but as it was only lost for a short time while I was riding it my prove difficult to trace.
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 am

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 1029
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
 
Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 1029
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 am linkquote
Open the headset and check the connections going to all of those lights. May need cleaning and just reconnected. Check the connections under horn cover and do the same. Make sure the grounds under the headset are clean and connected. I'll even check the regulator wires if nothing pops up under the headset or horn cover. Unscrew the light switch too and make sure all good under there and the screw is snugged up when you put it back. Since the problem is happening randomly and correcting itself, you may fix it with observation and some clean up.

Use the wire colors from the regulator to determine what diagram works with that scooter. https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic155266

Good luck!
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:19 pm

Hooked
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 126
Location: Florida, USA
 
Hooked
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 126
Location: Florida, USA
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:19 pm linkquote
cazshie wrote:
I was getting both on at the same time though, and when they did that the headlight went out.

I tried to find a circuit diagram that might shed some light on why they might do that.

Got a multimeter, but as it was only lost for a short time while I was riding it my prove difficult to trace.
If both light indicators come on at the same time intermittently, while the headlight is not working, then perhaps the 2 finger-style contacts at the bulb socket are touching each other due to being loose, distorted or bending.
This condition would result in both high and low filaments in the headlight bulb coming on at the same time; the stator is not powerful enough to power them simultaneously, and this would burn out the bulb in short order. I am assuming you have the standard typical BA20 35W/35W bulb.
This has happened on mine last year, and I had to replace the socket and the bulb.
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
 
Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:30 pm linkquote
sp949 wrote:
If both light indicators come on at the same time intermittently, while the headlight is not working, then perhaps the 2 finger-style contacts at the bulb socket are touching each other due to being loose, distorted or bending.
This condition would result in both high and low filaments in the headlight bulb coming on at the same time; the stator is not powerful enough to power them simultaneously, and this would burn out the bulb in short order. I am assuming you have the standard typical BA20 35W/35W bulb.
This has happened on mine last year, and I had to replace the socket and the bulb.
Bulb is standard.

The symptoms are that all works fine (dipped), then for no reason the headlight goes out and the blue high beam comes on on speedo (green dipped also on at same time). Lasts for about a minute then all goes back to normal working. Happened about 3 times during a 20 minute ride.

Looking at wiring diagram it looks like purple wire from switch simply feeds full beam and speedo bulb .. so I suppose a short on purple wire to a live feed would bring on speedo bulb, but not really explain why headlight would stop working? If, as you say, there’s not enough power to feed both dipped and full beam, would that not mean that the two bulbs on speedo would also go out?
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:58 pm

Hooked
Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 406
Location: United Kingdom
 
Hooked
Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 406
Location: United Kingdom
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:58 pm linkquote
Check the earth contact on your headlamp bulb. Loss of this connection will cause your problem.
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:59 am

Hooked
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 126
Location: Florida, USA
 
Hooked
PX150E
Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 126
Location: Florida, USA
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:59 am linkquote
Also, don't exclude the possibility of a bad quality bulb; some of them are dirt cheap, and don't last long. I bought quite a few of these in the past, and always regretted it.
Have a good branded BA 20 35/35W as a replacement and try it to see if your problem resolves.
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am

Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
 
Hooked
2003 PX200
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 396
Location: Perth, Scotland
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am linkquote
firekdp wrote:
Check the earth contact on your headlamp bulb. Loss of this connection will cause your problem.
I have to admit that this was my first thought. Losing the earth would cause headlight to go out, and if there was a resistive connection between dipped and full then it would create a voltage at the speedo bulb.
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 1029
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
 
Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 1029
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am linkquote
Have you open the headset to take a look. Until then it just guess work.
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:35 am

Hooked
Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 406
Location: United Kingdom
 
Hooked
Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 406
Location: United Kingdom
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:35 am linkquote
rowdyc wrote:
Have you open the headset to take a look. Until then it just guess work.
Not really, it's more logic than guess.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa
[ Time: 0.0454s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0263s) ][ Debug on ][ 156 ][ Thing Two ]